Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are you finding out what your having?

(31 Posts)
AlmondFrangipani Wed 20-Feb-13 21:54:46

We can't decide whether to or not and I wondered what the consensus was! What do you think the pros and cons for both are??

CityDweller Thu 21-Feb-13 12:54:31

We didn't and I'm glad we chose that. I didn't want to start forming an idea of who the baby is until I actually meet it, if that makes sense. I also have a huge aversion to the gender-coding thing and it was a way to prevent, at least a little bit, relatives giving us pink/blue baby stuff. Oh, and it takes pressure off the name thing too (the standard line of questioning seems to be 'do you know what you're having' followed by 'have you decided on a name?'). We get to stay vague on names when people ask, preventing the thing when friends/family diss a name you love...

SeriousStuff Thu 21-Feb-13 13:32:53

We're not finding out, but having previously been adamant about not finding out before I got pg, I now completely understand why you would want to and I imagine it will be hard not to when asked. I'm desperate to start buying things but will have to wait!

I'm just looking forward to the surprise element of it!

BraveLilBear Thu 21-Feb-13 14:34:06

We're having a... baby! That will be the line I use over and over when the inevitable questions start coming about what we're having.

We're not finding out, we both think it'll be nice to have something to look forward to. As it's our first (together) there's no urgent need to adjust other young children so figured why not.

Did have a wobble the other week when I started fixating on the idea it was a girl (very random) but that seems to have passed now and I'm back to being able to imagine either in my arms smile

Midori1999 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:45:16

I found out with all of my babies, except one of my twins, because they couldn't tell me. That was a bit different really as they we very premature and we knew unlikely to survive.

I am tempted to not find out with this one, but DD is only 20 months, so it will be the difference between keeping her clothes or not. I think Perhaps we'll decide not to tell others though, just to get the back for all the 'oh, you've ruined the surprise' comments! grin

peanutMD Thu 21-Feb-13 15:26:51

We're not finding out, partly because or hospital doesn't tell and partly because my friend had been told at 2 scans (including a 3d) that she was definitely having a girl but she now has a gorgeous 2 month old boy and a few.bags.full of girly things free to a good home grin

This has also happened to my SIL so we decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

amie1979 Thu 21-Feb-13 20:21:10

we find out in 4 days im not counting lol i have 2 girls and my partner has 2 girls from a previous so we are going to see if we will have a spice girls band or will it stay as little mix band lol would be nice to have a boy but what ever aslong as it is in good health the baby will be loved what ever the sex my twin sister never found out what sex hers was but i have done with my last 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now