Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti d injections - help!

(14 Posts)
Pritchyx Wed 20-Feb-13 20:02:57

Thanks ladies!
Will probably let you know how I get on tomorrow afternoon after blood tests & anti d sad bloody pin cushion!

atrcts Wed 20-Feb-13 13:30:56

They used to do it in the rump!! But now usually at the top of the arm.

The doses are smaller than they used to be so don't sting as much - if even at all.

One tip given to me was to deliberately relax all muscles on the arm and hand. It's a muscle injection so makes sense that it's much more comfortable when muscles aren't flexed. It really made a difference to me!

It sometimes has a tiny dull ache when you use the arm after but not actual pain - more like you've bumped your arm on the banister or something.

No one loves injections but it's not the worst one to have by any means smile

Snowflakepie Wed 20-Feb-13 13:20:07

I asked about having the whooping cough at the same time and the mw said that was the responsibility of the surgery, where she was responsible for the anti-d. So 2 appointments for me, but if it makes DD who will be coming along too think injections are ok, it will be worth it lol! Check as everywhere seems different on that x

BB01 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:13:58

Mine wasn't half as bad I was expecting. Certainly far from the worse injection I've had!! As others say, don't look at the needle if you're worried!

Lorelei353 Wed 20-Feb-13 12:52:49

I'm due to have this too so thanks for starting the thread.
I'm assuming I'll get Whooping cough jab in the same appointment (28 weeks) so will be like a pin cushion by the time I leave sad

craigslittleangel Wed 20-Feb-13 12:16:01

I had mine on Friday. You can have it in your bottom (which I am sure I had it when I gave birth to my DD) or the top of your arm. I had it in my arm.
It is very concentrated so you will feel it going in and my nurse liked to give it in stages. This meant rather then a full push on the syringe, she did it a quarters.
It did hurt, but not as badly as the 28 week blood giving you do. Or as annoying as the glucose tests.

northerngoldilocks Wed 20-Feb-13 12:12:03

The injection has to be given into a muscle - I've had 5 now and they've always been in my arm. It's fine really , can be a tiny bit sore going in but nothing to worry about

northerngoldilocks Wed 20-Feb-13 12:11:57

The injection has to be given into a muscle - I've had 5 now and they've always been in my arm. It's fine really , can be a tiny bit sore going in but nothing to worry about

Snowflakepie Wed 20-Feb-13 12:06:43

I've had mine in my bottom. Didn't get given a choice but it was fine. The needle is a bit of a monster so don't look if you get squeamish. The only after effect apart from a bit of soreness was that there feels like a hard lump deep in the cheek, still there 4 years later. So this time I will ask for it in the other cheek, def not the arm for me!

Do get it done, it only takes seconds and saves lives x

weegiemum Wed 20-Feb-13 12:01:09

I'm rh+ but my sister is -ve and has had Hess after ivf and mc as well as the birth of her dd. It has to be done, you'll be ok!

ChairmanWow Wed 20-Feb-13 11:54:27

I've had a few as well. They are a little sore but there aren't any after effects from it. Mine have usually been in my arm but I think I had one in my bottom once. Maybe you could ask the MW and discuss where you would like it.

If it's any consolation I used to be nervous of needles but my pregnancies have helped me get over my fear. Hope it goes well.

SammyFirstBaby Wed 20-Feb-13 11:48:11

I had mine the other day,
They made me place my left hand on my hip so my arm was bent and put it in the top of my arm, didn't see the needle but partner said it wasn't to bad!
I'm not going to lie it hurt a little, like a little stinging as the stuff went in, but not anything to worry about smile

megandraper Wed 20-Feb-13 11:47:48

It's fine, don't worry - I've had several (3 pregnancies).

It's because you are Rhesus negative - and yes, there is a genetic link. It's a wonderful thing - once upon a time, Rhesus negative mothers who had Rhesus positive babies (if your partner is Rhesus positive) risked 'blue babies' which could be tragic. This injection gets rid of that risk and prevents health risks to your baby.

My injections were usually in my arm, (the post-birth ones in my thigh I think - but I didn't even notice those). A few seconds of discomfort at the most. Take a sweet with you and award it to yourself afterwards.

Pritchyx Wed 20-Feb-13 11:43:25

I have my anti d tomorrow, and am absolutely bricking myself! I don't know much about it either but my mom had to have these so I'm guessing its genetic!
I am a complete wimp with needles, but have to have blood tests then my anti d sad

But, where do they inject? Does it hurt? How long does it take etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now