Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Hyperemesis Medication

(11 Posts)

I'm on ondansetron and have to manage the constipation but it's the only thing that stops me vomiting absolutely everything all day long. I'm 20 weeks tomorrow. I'm allergic to cyclizine and metoclopramide. I've tried promethazine and stemetil but they aren't effective for me. Depending on where you live, it can be hard to get someone to prescribe you ondansetron because it's so much more expensive than other drugs. Most GPs wait until you've been prescribed ondansetron during an admission before they will prescribe. I've found a very knowledgable GP who would rather pay for ondansetron than multiple hospital admissions.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 19:45:27

I don't remember any palpitations - I was just relieved the boat had finally stopped swaying grin

sparkle101 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:27:25

Hiya.

I'm on week 15 now and been on cyclizine since 6 weeks in. I take it three times a day. No side effects so far although it is definitely helping the sickness. I couldn't keep anything down before now I'm down to being sick a couple of times a day.

sparkle101 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:27:17

Hiya.

I'm on week 15 now and been on cyclizine since 6 weeks in. I take it three times a day. No side effects so far although it is definitely helping the sickness. I couldn't keep anything down before now I'm down to being sick a couple of times a day.

LottieH Wed 20-Feb-13 18:40:09

Thanks glossy & dolomites. Glossy - you are near the finishing post - bet you can't wait to feel normal again! And Dolomites, did the Cyclizine give you palpitations? x

glossyflower Wed 20-Feb-13 17:27:55

Oh BTW, I was on cyclizine and ondanstetron for most of the 10 weeks with very little effect on my nausea and vomiting (although hate to think how it would have been without). I found my HG just gradually got better as time went on between weeks 7 to 17. It peaked in the middle of that time then gradually improved.
If I don't take my anti emetics once a day now, I still feel nauseous and occasionally vomit, so I don't think I'm fully over it.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 20-Feb-13 17:26:28

I have 2 cyclizine babies. With the first I threw up the day I had him, with #2 I stopped puking about week 20.

glossyflower Wed 20-Feb-13 17:25:02

I had severe HG. Tried stemetil and metoclopramide neither worked.
Had cyclizine which I'm still taking at 31 weeks, with little side effects, if anything it made me sleepy but then I wasn't eating or drinking for about 10 weeks, so it may have been that rather the cyclizine.
And also taking ondansetron which helped more that the cyclizine but gave me horrific headaches, constipation (again could be due to dehydration) and indigestion.
When I had IV ondansetron I'm pretty sure that the severe headaches were worse, so I think it was more side effects from that.
Now I've been taking both still just once a day, and also on omeprazole for the indigestion, the side effects are nothing.
Baby is due end of April and everything so far is fine, so I have no worries about the medication. The way I saw it taking medication was less of a risk than me not being able to eat or drink for nearly 3 months.
All the best smile

LottieH Wed 20-Feb-13 11:23:02

Thanks for that. did the Cyclizine have any side-effects and at what point did the sickness go all together (or have you not had the baby yet)?

The doctor prescribed cyclizine for me this time and it helped alot. I still felt a bit sick but it was a god send after the non stop throwing up.
Although I was meant to take it 3 times a day I only took one a day at the beginning.

Good luck.

LottieH Wed 20-Feb-13 10:43:10

Hi all. Am pregnant with my 5th. The last pregnancy was 6 years ago so my mind seems to have conveniently forgotten about the sickness & nausea and now been confined to bed for over 2 months now & seriously fed-up! Have been holding off taking medication as have been so scared about harm to the baby but now at my wits' end & want to try something so I fan get my life back together. Can anyone recommend a good one that actually works, as opposed to all the seabands, ginger & crackers nonsense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now