Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So I've only put on 5lb at 28 weeks!!!

(25 Posts)
MisselthwaiteManor Wed 20-Feb-13 19:02:03

As long as the midwife is happy with you then it really doesn't matter what anyone else says. I hate how people think it's okay to comment on and discuss your weight just because you're pregnant, I actually think its rude particularly if they're judging you for whatever is happening to your body.

I'm up 8lbs at 21 weeks and can't see it myself apart from the bump, but MIL took great joy in pinching my arms and pointing out how fat I have gotten hmm some people just like to stick their nose in.

I'd love to comment back but I'm not that rude!

FortyFacedFuckers Wed 20-Feb-13 17:41:14

I only put on 10lb in my full pregnancy and went on to have a perfectly healthy 7lb 15oz baby I wouldn't worry

zzzzz Wed 20-Feb-13 17:39:17

With dd2 I put on 1lb throughout, she was 8lb3oz, term.

I gained well over 2 stone with my next pg (though it was twins) and am still big. sad

glossyflower Wed 20-Feb-13 17:18:47

I wouldn't worry about it. I have not put on much weight either, due to HG, but my baby is growing fine.
Pre pregnancy I was 9st 10lbs, then I dropped to about 8st 5lbs, now I'm about 10 stone.
Baby will take all it needs from you as and when.
I'm now 31 weeks and only just starting to get my appetite, waking up in the middle of the night for munchies etc. So I think this last few weeks I will probably put more weight on.

CareerGirl01 Wed 20-Feb-13 14:04:25

Also I was reminded that as well as 8lbs of baby, at 29 weeks they weigh aboutg 2/3lbs, your body is holding an extra 2 pints of blood, that's another 2lbs at least - not to mention all the extra water (fluid) you need to transport the blood and maintain the baby. Then there's the fat layer you must put on if you need to breastfeed. After DD1 was born I lost a stone there and then.

CareerGirl01 Wed 20-Feb-13 14:01:38

I guess it depends how much you weighed before pg. I was slim(9st 4lbs and 5ft 8) BMI 20 and ended up losing weight during my first 12 weeks. I then struggled to put on weight but am now 18lbs heavier at 29 weeks and weigh just under 11stone; I feel all the better for it to be honest. Have to say I've certainly not been stuffing myself (still get bad days and exercise fairly well 4x a week) But then everyone is telling me how much better I look, I apparently looked gaunt even before pregnancy so the morning sickness did me no favours. Wondering how I can hold on to that extra stone after baby is born!
Are you worried about putting on weight OP? 5lbs doesn't sound like much, but then everyone is different.

Guntie Wed 20-Feb-13 11:37:51

stopbeingsilly couldn't agree more...

Creamtea1 Wed 20-Feb-13 11:14:26

stopbeingsilly I agree. The problem with threads like this is that it infers that anyone actually gaining lbs etc is using pregnancy 'as an excuse to get fat'. Also, it is always relevant to know starting weight, height and size of the poster pre pregnancy. For example, if you had a bmi over 25 pre preg and you only put on a couple of lbs by X weeks then I think that's a LOT different to someone who started at bmi 18 and has done the same.
Additionally, there actually are a lot of women who do diet/starve/restrict when pregnant because they feel so much pressure not to put on 'fat' weight.
And I'm not getting at the OP, I just wanted to share those thoughts.

itsaruddygame Wed 20-Feb-13 11:07:04

I did not put much on at all between 8 weeks and the 30 week stage (although more than you admittedly!). My weight has gone up by 5lbs alone since then (34 weeks today) so you might find you do put more on towards the end. I would not worry if the midwife isnt!

Reiltin Wed 20-Feb-13 10:17:19

I'm 27 weeks and currently 5lbs less than the day I found out I was pregnant! I lost over a stone in first trimester & haven't put it back on yet. I was a bit on the heavy side to start off with& at my first GP appointment, was told I should aim to put on as little weight as possible. As long as you're getting all the vitamins/minerals/etc you need, you should be fine smile

Mrsambition Wed 20-Feb-13 10:04:50

Thanks everyone that's made me feel better now. Wasn't feeling smug, quite the opposite, it's just some think I should be stuffing my face. I wouldn't say I was skinny, size 12, just tall maybe that's why. Anyway thank you all very much, I can rest easy and not worry about the comments now smile

AlphaAndEcho Wed 20-Feb-13 10:03:09

During my last pregnancy I lost a stone . No idea how but I'd love to know grin

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Feb-13 10:01:42

I guess your family are worried you might be trying to diet in pregnancy. I was super hungry during the first two trimesters and ate loads, (not as an excuse to get fat and my weight gain was fine, btw). From what I know of other pregnant women, this (being hungry) is normal.
If you're not eating more because you're not extra hungry, then that's fine. But your family are worried because most people do eat more and think you might be sat there starving but denying yourself because you don't want to put on weight.

BabyRoger Wed 20-Feb-13 09:43:06

There is no.normal. with my 1st at 28 weeks I.think.I'd lost weight. When dd was born at 41 weeks, I'd put on 11 pounds. I lost 15 pounds just by her being born.

Dc2 I put on about 2 stone!

plannedshock Wed 20-Feb-13 09:35:26

I had something similar to this, people saying "aren't you tiny" "are you cutting down so you don't get fat" "is the baby measuring small" my midwife said I measured spot on and I had In fact put plenty of weight on, I'm 32+5 now and don't get weighed. When people say anything now I just smile and say " 1 of the lucky ones" really I do not give a shit until the midwife says otherwise!!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 20-Feb-13 09:10:12

It definitely depends on what weight you were to start with....I'm 31 weeks now and I've only gained 9lb! However my BMI was 30 when I got pregnant so all the advice to me was not to gain too much! I put my fairly minimal weight gain down to the fact that I'm very active at work (nurse on a ward!).

I'd say as long as you're eating well and the baby is growing ok from scans/abdo measurements are ok you'll be fine.

Zorra Wed 20-Feb-13 09:00:29

I'm 27 weeks and have put on 0lbs, mostly due to nausea / heartburn / boakiness. With DC1 I was the same, but I put on a huuuuge amount of weight in the last six weeks for some reason, so I'm kind of expecting the same this time. I also put on quite a lot of weight whilst I was breast-feeding: seriously hoping to avoid that this time around!

calypso2008 Wed 20-Feb-13 08:53:21

I was the same weight at that stage as before getting pregnant as I ate so healthily and gave up alcohol (obviously) but it made a big difference to my calorie consumption!

At 28 weeks the baby is tiny and only weighing a couple of pounds - you will put on weight in the last month or so by the sound of it...

PurplePoppySeed Wed 20-Feb-13 08:48:35

Ps just smile to your family smugly when you look amazing a month after birth wink

PurplePoppySeed Wed 20-Feb-13 08:47:33

I've not put on any weight yet (11 weeks) and I've been reding up in what to expect - I'm not too worried as I started with a BMI of 25 and was about 6-8lbs heavier than my normal weight anyway (I'm very tall so can fluctuate by 2 stone within a 'healthy' BMI) I'm just assuming that what is going on my boobs and bloated stomach is coming off my hips and thighs (wishful thinking). As long as you didn't start out underweight then I wouldn't worry.

beckie90 Wed 20-Feb-13 08:34:38

norm not born

beckie90 Wed 20-Feb-13 08:34:09

Hi just wanted to say every pregnancy is different don't really think there's a born. I'm having my 3rd baby. First i gained around 4st (wasnt overeating was simply just underweight before, was only in size 10 normal clothes at 42wk pregnant)
Second baby I lost 1.5st from been so ill and only gained that amount back, so went into labour at around my pre pregnancy weight (baby was very healthy and 9ib)
This time I'm currently nearly 16wk I lost 5ib and have put nearly 2in of that back on so still 3ib down on before.

It's all so different, each pregnancy each person, I think your doing good smile keep it up, seems a nice steady gain.

stopbeingsilly Wed 20-Feb-13 06:24:41

There is no norm. If your midwife is happy and you feel well, everything's a winner.

But it's worth bearing in mind that not all those who put on more weight than you are therefore using pregnancy as an excuse to get fat. That sort of talk may result in suggestions of smugness or unpleasant not very stealthy stealth boasting.

Best of luck with the next 12ish weeks.

Newmum2013 Wed 20-Feb-13 06:00:41

Every body is different. If your midwife is not concerned, ignore what others think! You know you're eating healthy so don't worry! I sadly put on 5lbs in the first 12 weeks and didn't stop there! Like I say, everyone is diffferent!

Mrsambition Wed 20-Feb-13 00:57:56

I've only put on 5lb since I got pregnant and I thought that was great, as did my midwife who is happy that both me & baby are healthy (as!are the doctors etc) but this info spread around my family & DH,s family and most of them are saying am not eating, oh is everything ok, are you not well, etc bloody etc. I eat very healthy (with treats as an when I want them) & exercise so what's the problem? I don't use pregnancy as an excuse to get fat!!

What's the norm? Am i weird?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now