Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

how long overdue do you go before you get induced?

(36 Posts)
Lovelylace Tue 19-Feb-13 18:04:12

39 weeks today and soo looking forward to labour starting..COME ON!!
But I reccon my little miracle will take after his dad who's never been on time in his life and I will go overdue, so question is, for how long do they let you suffer before they start inducing you?

blueberryupsidedown Wed 20-Feb-13 21:05:51

I was induced at 40+12 (the policy at our hospital was 40+10) so for the last three days of pregnancy (days +10, +11, +12) I was monitored for a couple of hours, each day in hospital. On day +12, DS's heart started to drop dramatically after Braxton Hicks contractions, and I was immediatly admitted for an induction. However after a couple of hours his heartbeat was dipping way too low and not recovering and I was rushed for emergency c section. I am one of the cases when the placenta stops working properly.

I am very pleased obviously that I went to be monitored and I would strongly advice that if you decide not to be induced, to go to be monitored. I find it really strange that people are giving advice to not go for induction apointments. You can decide to not be induced on the day advised by the hospital, but if you do, please please please go in to be monitored.

AmandaCooper Wed 20-Feb-13 22:34:36

blueberry what does monitoring entail? Do you have to go to the hospital every day for it?

FirstTimeForEverything Thu 21-Feb-13 09:24:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flisspaps Thu 21-Feb-13 09:35:36

blueberry I would never advise someone to not attend a monitoring session. I think anyone who declines it after declining an induction is, quite frankly, a bit bonkers.

However, lots of women aren't aware that monitoring (instead of routine induction) is even an option.

I am very glad all turned out well for you in the end.

blueberryupsidedown Thu 21-Feb-13 16:17:24

Yes for monitoring you go to the birth unit in hospital, they put a strap on your belly to listen to the baby's heart beat. Yes it's in hospital, and yes, for me it was for three days in a row (day 40 +10, +11) and +12)

Flisspaps Thu 21-Feb-13 16:21:20

But it varies between hospitals - some areas it's every other day, some areas daily, others twice a week. Check with your MW. smile

FrameyMcFrame Thu 21-Feb-13 16:24:42

I went to 40+16 with DS, refused induction because I also feared induction and intervention but my labour went wrong anyway and I ended up in theatre because he was malpositioned. Probably why he was so late, he was in a right tangle round the wrong way.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 21-Feb-13 16:26:08

Although I had daily monitoring this wan't picked up until I'd been pushing for 2 hrs angry

NAR4 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:32:22

Induction isn't until 40+14 at my hospital and there is no monitoring offered before the induction date. If you had been under my hospital then nothing would of been picked up until you raised the alarm that baby wasn't moving. shock

NAR4 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:32:54

Sorry meant to address that to blueberry.

MyLittleAprilSunshine Fri 22-Feb-13 22:10:38

40+10 here usually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now