Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

what pram to get? so confused

(52 Posts)
Hai1988 Tue 19-Feb-13 09:34:55

I am after a pram that the baby can lay flat in but can also fit a car seat to, as although i walk quite alot (not off road) i use my car quite a bit to get to town.

Would like it to last a few years so needconvert to pushchair .

Both me and dh are tall me 5"7 dh is
6"4 so nothing low down that will hurt our backs.

Have a zafira so boot space not a problem

Budget is only around £300-£400 with carseat so this is what limits me really.

Have been drawn back to the silver cross 3d alot just not sure :$
Please help

kerrywoo Thu 14-Mar-13 19:47:27

I really liked the look of the Cosatto Giggle and bought one for our first born with some money my gran had left me.
It seemed to be ok at first but on only the 4th use it has broken. I haven't been using it much as advised to rest from the cesarean.

We haven't been anywhere but on pavement with it.
The front wheel collapsed as I was pushing it over a tarmac'd car park. The pram above collapsed with the frame and toppled to the ground. It was an extremely frightening experience for me and my two week old baby.

This is a serious design flaw and Cosatto need to fix it. The wheel is clearly not strong enough and there is no safety feature if it fails.

i47.tinypic.com/29cnw8w.jpg
i47.tinypic.com/2e2oww8.jpg
i50.tinypic.com/2096pzm.jpg

Video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uJSP_NxM0

Phineyj Fri 22-Feb-13 20:16:59

www.graco.co.uk/cdetail.php?catCode=45

Another vote for the Graco Evo -- however, your DH should try one first. We are 5' 7'' and 5' 9'' and it's only just high enough for us. V. flexible though and the wheels are extremely easy to fold and even go in my VW Polo.

£370 for car seat, pram and wheels from Mothercare currently.

Phineyj Fri 22-Feb-13 20:09:18

www.graco.co.uk/cdetail.php?catCode=45

Another vote for the Graco Evo -- however, your DH should try one first. We are 5' 7'' and 5' 9'' and it's only just high enough for us. V. flexible though and the wheels are extremely easy to fold and even go in my VW Polo.

Dogsmom Fri 22-Feb-13 19:59:14

We bought the Mamas & Papas Zoom yesterday, it's down to £299 at the moment http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-zoom-pushchair-package-blackcharcoal/1819b3700/type-i/

You would need to buy the car seat separately though but have a look online, we've managed to get one off Amazon for £35 (only had 1 left), M&P's are currently doing them for £85 in various colours though so not too bad. You also need to buy the adapters to fit it to the frame, £29.99 in M&P's but around £10 - £15 off eBay.

Doesn't come with a foot muff but again cheap off eBay as they are universal.

The things we liked were how light it is, baby can lie flat in the carrycot bit or on the main seat bit, you can turn it to be forward or parent facing very easily, folds very easily and apparently the child can fit into it until 3-4 years of age.

I'm 38 weeks and we rushed into buying a silvercross 3d when I was about 24 weeks pg, it's a lovely looking pram but VERY heavy and I struggle to fold it, it's also quite fiddly fitting the various bits onto, another thing is that only silvercross seats fit their prams and they only do isofix bases and neither of our cars has this, we need a belted base which they don't do so we're suck having to belt the seat in and out every time. We did need 2 prams as we've got a caravan that we use 2-3x a month so are taking it there and using the Zoom for everyday use.

stacey212528 Fri 22-Feb-13 19:36:01

Have you looked at the Obaby Zezu? Seems like it fits your requirements.

Trishstar Thu 21-Feb-13 21:26:33

I love my babystyle oyster! I got the ocean colour pack for it (was part of the deal) and if we ever have a girl all I would have to buy is a different colour pack! Xx

xlatia Thu 21-Feb-13 20:50:53

we love our mamas & papas joolz. i'm a midget but DP is 6"2 so the adujstable and v long handlebar is fab. ticks all the other boxes you've mentioned too and we got ours on ebay for 170 quid off a familiy with 2 DC. so our DS is the 3rd user and it's still going strong 16 months down the line. a few people on busses have commented on how quick and neat it folds, too.
only had to buy the car seat plus adaptors which was around 120 alltogether, iirmc.

MrsExcited Thu 21-Feb-13 20:49:11

have just read the posts i missed, sorry for repeating some other posters but i do think the website i have linked to is one of the best deals out there at the moment!

MrsExcited Thu 21-Feb-13 20:44:04

I have fallen in love with this one and the price here is only just over your budget, the Babystyle, Oyster

www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/20/20548/babystyle-oyster-silver-stroller-travel-system-package-%28claret%29/

See what you think, it has so many cool features

Hai1988 Thu 21-Feb-13 07:22:34

Ok thanks, tbh i love the look of the pram/pushchair bit but am.not to sure on the car seat it looks a bit wierd tbh

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 20-Feb-13 19:01:11

Have no experience, however remember a while ago there were warnings out re the safety of the matrix car seat. Not sure about current system but they did extremely poorly in crash tests.
I think which referred to it as dangerous. If you google jane matrix and crash test you will get the info. Usually which and adac.de are quite good and reliable re car seat safety.

Hai1988 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:27:53

sorry messed up the link there this

Hai1988 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:27:24

Does anyone have any experiance with [[www.kiddisave.co.uk/store/product/16550/Jane-Muum-Travel-System-2-Herb-2012/ this one?

Teapot13 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:04:00

Check out gumtree -- we were so overwhelmed by all the (mostly useless) information that it was easier to make ourselves chose from what was available. We saved a lot of money, and if what we bought hadn't worked out it would not have been the end of the world.

As it happens, we bought a Silver Cross 3d. I loved it, and it is on sale now for £235 (about half what it was when we were looking). The car seat that attaches is probably just a bit over £100, so it would fit your budget. We are expecting DC2 imminently and I am HEARTBROKEN that I can't get another 3d because it won't work with a buggy board. (The first one was crushed in the hold of an airline -- not a reflection on its own sturdiness, IMV.)

It is a bit heavy, so if you are going to be getting it in and out of the car all the time it might not be the right thing. We live in central London and almost never use the car, and I used it for food shopping, so I liked having something substantial.

I have got a 3d and love it, dd was 3 this week and its still going strong! I really haven't got a bad word to say about it, but does seem that I'm in the minority!

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 20-Feb-13 15:54:13

I suppose if you do like the oyster, it does have the advantage that it can use its britax, maxi cosi or babystyle car seats which widens your scope in choosing the seat that best fits into your car. If you look at various online retailers, you can find the actual pushchair for around 250, depending on colour.

rainand Wed 20-Feb-13 12:22:04

I also went to kiddicare and have chosen the britax smart 3 wheeler, very easy to fold up and within our budget.

joby21, which car seat did you get with the britax?

CarpetBagger Wed 20-Feb-13 09:52:35

we got a pushchair/pram that looks flimsey and its still going very strong 6 years later for no 2, an aria, baby lies almost flat.

people i know have regretted buying huge heavey things you cant fit well into a car or lift, collapse etc.
our one is so light which is great after birth. folds down great, easy and simple.

dont forget people make a fuss about buying totally flat pram to begin with but then end up carrying and keeping baby in car seat anyway!

we got a three wheeler from about 2 ish year of age off freecyle.

Trishstar Wed 20-Feb-13 09:38:02

Another vote for oyster. I've got the whole system. It's sturdy, folds down easily, so easy to push/turn etc. deffo you can find deals within your budget.

It's won lots of awards. Have a look round x

Hai1988 Wed 20-Feb-13 09:28:48

Grrr dh doesnt like the cossata giggle for some reason! We will never decide sad

Have both been looking at the jane muum travel system (cant link cus now on phone) Anyone have any experiance with this one?

FirstTimeForEverything Wed 20-Feb-13 08:58:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stargirl1701 Wed 20-Feb-13 08:52:14

I'm loving the Stokke Winter Kit too Small grin

Smallgreenone Wed 20-Feb-13 06:49:39

We have a stokke xplory and its great. You can adjust the height so good for you and hubby. It's pricey but am sure you can get a second hand one on eBay. Fab extras too like fur lined mittens to go on the handlebar to keep your fingers warm in winter grin

Newmum2013 Wed 20-Feb-13 05:58:38

We've got mamas and papas sola. It lies flat and is suitable from
Both. It can face either way and has adjustable handles for height. It also has adapters where you can attach car seat. We were lucky and got ours in the sale but think the whole package will not go over your budget. Feels light to push and move around but obviously haven't tested it fr real as DC is still very comfy on the inside!

Kafri Tue 19-Feb-13 19:41:17

I was torn between the oyster and uppababy vista.
chose the vista in the end and its fabulous.
comes as a package with covers and maxi cosy car seat adapter. not the cheapest but you'll get one on eBay at a reasonable price.

John Lewis are great for information and testing even if you don't buy it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now