Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Got pregnant as soon as stopped preventing - how do I date it?

(11 Posts)
TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Feb-13 20:06:41

I've been astonishingly lucky, and am pregnant 5.5 weeks after having my implant out. According to a Clearblue Digital, I'm 2-3 weeks. I haven't had a period since the implant came out, and have had implants since Jan 2006, so haven't had a natural period in 7 years.

Does anyone know how to estimate my due date? Only did test yesterday (Sat) so haven't had chance to see Dr yet.

I can't believe it's happened so quickly. I think I'm going to have my fingers crossed for the foreseeable future.

talulahbeige Sun 17-Feb-13 20:23:47

I was the same but coming off the pill instead. They still worked it out based on my last period on the pill. Dating scan was only 2 days different

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Feb-13 20:40:30

Pretty good! I can't remember when my last period was, though. October/November, I think. Maybe they'll work it out based on when the implant came out.

Ellypoo Sun 17-Feb-13 20:48:27

Apparently when you have the implant removed, the contraceptiveness is lost straight away, so I guess they might date it from when it was removed - this ties in with the digital test but until you have dating scan it will be estimated anyway. The implant differs from the pill in that you don't have withdrawal bleeds so can't be dated in that way I suppose.
Good luck smile

they will just date it from the scan if you werent having proper periods

Souper Sun 17-Feb-13 20:56:44

The midwife will send you for a dating scan. They will measure the embryo and date the pregnancy from that. During the first few weeks of pregnancy all embryos grow at at constant rate so the dating scan is very accurate. Don't worry, it happens all the time. And congratulations!

MyGlassIsJustHalfWet Sun 17-Feb-13 20:59:31

Can I just ask, I don't get periods on the pill. If this happened to me (pregnant straight away) how would I date it? Dating scan? Count from when I stopped the pill?

TwitchyTail Sun 17-Feb-13 21:00:12

You'll get your official date at the dating scan, as this is even more accurate that last menstrual period if done before 20 weeks or so. In the meantime, your best guess is the Clearview (if it was done with first morning urine - it is basically a crude measure of hCG) - add on 2 weeks for your "medical" date (Clearview estimates from conception, so 2-3 weeks on Clearview will be 4-5 weeks in medical terms).

So, if you're 4-5 weeks now, let's call your "start date" 1st February and your "due date" 25th October smile You can tell me how accurate I was after your dating scan!

dating scan

TwitchyTail Sun 17-Feb-13 21:02:13

Damn baby brain - that should be conception date around 1st Feb, start date (LMP equivalent) 2 weeks before so 17th January.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Sun 17-Feb-13 21:03:37

Twitchy, that's my best guess too. Could appear on my/DH's birthday, then!

Thanks all, it's good to know I'm thinking along the right lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now