Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Migraines issue :(

(15 Posts)
redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 18-Feb-13 08:39:30

Those cool and soothe sheets you stick on your forehead do work for me.

Ruth22m Mon 18-Feb-13 08:21:53

Thank you all for the help and support! smile smile

stifflegs Sun 17-Feb-13 22:16:53

You have my sympathies. I suffered really badly with migraines at the beginning of my last pregnacy. I just took paracetamol. I don't get them very often but was getting one weekly for the first few months although they did stop after the first trimester. I hope yours do too!

TepidCoffee Sun 17-Feb-13 22:09:02

How far along are you OP? I found mine were worse for about the first 15 weeks and then they disappeared completely. They stayed away for nearly TWO YEARS until I got pregnant with DC2. This pregnancy has had the same pattern (now nearly due and haven't had a migraine - or a headache, even - since mid-second trimester. Bliss).

PoppadomPreach Sun 17-Feb-13 22:07:19

I was advised by GP to take soluble paracetamol rather than tablets, as the soluble form is metabolised mo easily by the body. They definitely helped a lot more - they don't get rid of the headache, but they made them more bearable.

So sorry you are having to go through this - they are really horrible.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Feb-13 22:04:57

4head for migraines ? Really ?

Sunshinewithshowers Sun 17-Feb-13 21:24:25

The 4head stick is good for mine.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Feb-13 21:21:47

I had very bad migraines from having hyperemesis. They were caused by being really dehydrated - are you sick at all OP.
Hope you are better soon !

yummymumtobe Sun 17-Feb-13 20:40:01

Definitely speak to your GP. They will prescribe co-codamol - you can also buy paracetamol and codeine over the counter. Don't despair about it. No one wants you to suffer and just because you are pregnant does not mean you have to bear the agony of a prolonged migraine.I was told I could take imigran if the pain was so bad that I couldn't function. But you would always need to speak to your GP to make sure.

Muggle1978 Sun 17-Feb-13 18:35:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 17-Feb-13 17:06:57

Just offering you sympathy and lapping up the advice. I spent yesterday morning in to early evening with migraine and sickness and it is just so awful isn't it?

I just took paracetamol, but it didn't touch it at all. I am going to check with my midwife at my next appointment to see if there is anything that is a bit stronger but safe for the baby.

How far along are you? I cracked when I was not quite 12 weeks after avoiding all meds and had to take paracetamol for a migraine, I came home from work and called the ANC in desperation. The midwife said they didn't normally give advice to people so early on and I should go through my GP but she checked with a doctor who said if the headache was that severe to take the paracetamol and make sure I stayed hydrated.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Feb-13 12:22:40

Beta blockers not safe during pregnancy , I had to come off mine . I was prescribed co codamol by my consultant.

Jenjen85 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:21:51

I had these before I got pregnant an had some strong migraine tablets prescribed but can't take them now. When I get a migraine I take 2 paracetamol (safe in pregnancy) then get into bed with the curtains closed an try to go to sleep that always seems to work for me. Hope it eases soon for you!!

char1eston Sun 17-Feb-13 12:18:49

Sorry, I don't have any magic solution I'm afraid but just wanted to give you some sympathy. Migraines are buggers. Before I got pg, my gp suggested going on beta blockers to prevent them - not sure if they are safe though. You could try soluble paracetamol - might be a bit better than the big standard?
I find that tiredness really affects me - any chance you can put your feet up? Hope you find a solution.

Ruth22m Sun 17-Feb-13 12:07:37

I have these horrible migraines lately – anyone can recommend something that is not risking my baby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now