Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Told you have a higher chance of a prem baby - when do you decided to go on Mat leave?

(3 Posts)

A different situation but twins are expected early and mine were born at 34 weeks. I finished work at 28 weeks with 2 weeks leave tagged on the end so finished at officially 30 weeks. I am glad I did, I needed the rest.

Good luck OP smile

lotsofcheese Sun 17-Feb-13 12:19:43

Hello there, congratulations on your pregnancy & I hope you have a long & boring pregnancy!

I'm in the same situation - in my 1st pregnancy I developed severe PE & required delivery at 29 weeks - it was a low risk pregnancy & I had no symptoms, so it was a bit of a shock, to say the least. I had planned to work until 36 weeks.

This time, I'm finishing at 33 weeks & will start mat leave then, if I make it that far. If I go off sick, so be it. It's not a situation I have any control over & what will be, will be. HR have been understanding, accepting I can only pick a date & may not be able to keep it. If I have the baby early, my maternity leave will start the day after (as it did the last time).

Just take care of yourself, take it easy & try to use up annual leave before mat leave, if you can

Good luck

AlmondFrangipani Sun 17-Feb-13 11:37:25

Hi,

Due to a pre-existing kidney condition I have been told by my consultant that my baby is more likely to be premature. To add to this all of my siblings and I were early. Work are starting to discuss maternity cover and whilst I appreciate I dont have to make a decision yet I wondered what you would do in this circumstance? I dont want to take too much time off before the baby comes and use it up sitting around waiting but equally I would like some time off beforehand to 'prepare/rest'! When would you go off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now