Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Quite bright blood at 39+4?

(18 Posts)
candr Mon 18-Feb-13 16:31:02

I know this is a bit of a myth about semen bringing on labor but feeling sorry for DH going without for a while I did ahem....give him a bj and 4 hours later was when it all started. Worth a shot and will make your DH happy grin
Good luck and to you Blessings

Marcheline Mon 18-Feb-13 08:11:36

Lots of stories of quick labours! I don't think I'll be giving birth any time soon, everything has completely stopped, but candr I will remember your story when feeling hopeless. I even had sex with DH last night in desperation!

Good luck blessings, I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow and have been feeling like I just want to give birth for about a month, so I totally sympathise.

Countmyblessings Sun 17-Feb-13 23:53:12

Ohh Marchline - I had bleeding all day in my last pregnancy but didn't have nothing else until early hours of the next morning when got lower back pain then contractions started after a full hour and call to hospital told to come in! Contractions stronger then full labour 45 mins later ds born!!!
Currently 36 weeks and wished baby would come now!

Good luck x

candr Sun 17-Feb-13 21:43:42

Sounds like a show. I had cramps and passed a half a cup full of bright blood with DS and strong contractions started straight away and could feel I was passing more blood. It was DS making a quick entrance which is why I was bleeding. Labor was only 4 hours so don't hang about if it happens again. Good luck smile

Marcheline Sun 17-Feb-13 20:47:17

Hi Mahna, that is very scary ad I'm glad you and DD were ok.

I did call them but they weren't fussed, said they would probably see me today as second babies come quickly and it sounded as though things were gettig going.

I put a pad in today and it's sort of pinky brown discharge now so I assume it was the show, but have had no bracton hicks, no twinges, nothing all day sad

I'm glad I called though, because they explained when bleeding would be serious and what to look out for. Thanks for your replies encouraging me to all etc, I would have sat worrying all night otherwise.

MahnaMahna Sun 17-Feb-13 08:34:07

I would just phone them if I were you. I woke up at 38+6 bleeding.. it got heavier. I phoned the labour ward and they told me to go in. i had thought it was nothing but I was having contractions every 10 mins. They kept me in hospital until DD came the next day.

I'm not meaning to alarm you, but my placenta was detaching and by the time I gave birth there was hardly anything left. Luckily DD was okay and I was in the safest place whilst it was happening.

It's always worth a phone call smile

Marcheline Sat 16-Feb-13 21:24:15

I was a real panicker last pregnancy ad went into hospital at every opportunity, but we live in a different (very rural) place now and obviously have DD, which makes going in slightly more difficult of an evening.

I am timing the 'contractions' to see if there is a pattern and will call soon. I want to have a bit more info to give them, so I can make a sensible decision and they have a bit more to go on than 'possibly a show' because I feel like I'm being really precious.

Chubfuddler Sat 16-Feb-13 21:12:41

X post. I'm a panicker when it comes to pregnancy. I'm sure you're fine but it's not worth any risk really is it?

Chubfuddler Sat 16-Feb-13 21:11:43

Ok so it sounds like the beginning of the beginning. Could take days or a few hours. Honestly I would ring the delivery suite just to run it past them, if nothing else because they may be rammed and the last thing you want is to pitch up there with baby practically falling out of you to be told you have to go to a different hospital (when I had dd by ELCS they were so busy the suite got closed to admissions for about six hours). But if it were me I'd go in to be checked over.

Marcheline Sat 16-Feb-13 21:09:06

Chub jut saw your post. I'll call them, don't want to risk it.

Marcheline Sat 16-Feb-13 21:07:51

Thank you so much for the replies. It's not just blood, there is a LOT of sort of mucous / discharge (so sorry, how gross). I just don't want to make a fuss, baby is moving well, if I go to the hospital DH has to drive me and we'd have to take Dd1 or drop her with friends - really don't want to do that before I am actually in labour as want to make as little fuss as possible.

Though pains very low down in bump are getting quite uncomfortable.

Chubfuddler Sat 16-Feb-13 21:05:30

Look without wanting to panic you, you're at term, it may just be a show (my show had blood in it and I bled steadily until delivering once the show started but there was a lot of mucus too) but there is no benefit to not getting this checked out. Just go to the delivery suite and get them to check you over. Now.

SilveryMoon Sat 16-Feb-13 20:58:54

My plug release was huge! TMI alert
Bloody, mucusy, a mix of red, yellow and green <boak>
I passed some blood from 33 weeks with ds2 and went straight to hospital every time just to put my mind at rest.

Is it fresh blood or is it mixed with a sort of mucus/jelly like substance?

I would phone the MU as well but I did have a bit of a show and there was some blood in it.

A show is usually browny mucus, sometimes pinky or streaky with a little bit of blood. Ring your midwife/delivery suite ASAP for advice - they might want you in to be checked over but better to get advice from them than us!

Elkieb Sat 16-Feb-13 20:55:59

I would ring the maternity unit and check just to put my (over active) mind at rest.

Marcheline Sat 16-Feb-13 20:55:02

Cervix. Sorry, am abysmal typist on iPhone.

Marcheline Sat 16-Feb-13 20:54:14

this is my second pregnancy but DD1 was very late and I didn't have a 'show' so unsure if this is normal.

I noticed a very tiny amount of bright red blood when I wiped after going to the loo. Have explored a bit and my cerix feels quite long still but prob about 2cm / 3cm dilated (long fingers and used to have a coil so familiar with the 'area').

Is a show sometimes bright red, or should I be worried that something is wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now