Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

11 weeks (ish) and craving a glass of wine

(147 Posts)
LittleMrsExpecting Sat 16-Feb-13 17:55:17

Hi everyone, I am 11-12 weeks pregnant and although normally am not a big drinker am dying for a glass of wine. Have people been having the odd glass or abstaining from wine full stop? x

LeBFG Sun 17-Feb-13 10:08:05

goodness the french must be a race full of FAS I live here and know the advice is no alcohol at any point during pregnancy. I, personally, have never seen a pg woman with a glass of wine.

Problem with proving a link with FAS is people lie. Particularly the drinkers. In some papers I've read they post-hoc assign alcoholics and binge drinkers as women who've given birth to babies with FAS.....so circular to say the least!

Viviennemary Sun 17-Feb-13 10:16:04

Well it's a difficult one. Can't you just taste a couple of mouthfuls and spit them out. Wasteful I know. So don't choose an expensive vintage. grin I'm not a medical person but I hardly think a glass of wine could cause FAS. Wine gums??

It's a personal decision based on what evidence you get hold of

The research summaries I have seen say FAS requires a I take close to alcoholic levels, that no harm has been see in babies borntomothers that have up to 6 units spread over a week and in one piece of research that babies born to women who had 1-2 units a week were more intelligent

Do some reading and make your choice

ExpatAl Sun 17-Feb-13 14:49:06

Yes, Angelico as I said different genotypes, ie. Asians, cope with alcohol very differently, so in an anonymous forum when you don't know the poster you should not say that drinking is okay. This was my point.

I really enjoy a sociable drink and am looking forward to a nice ice cold St Feullion but I have no idea why anyone would encourage someone who is 11 weeks pregnant, a crucial time of development, to have a drink. I was planning to have the odd drink later on but won't now that there is a question mark over that too.

Also, babies are just babies. It's when they get older that behavioural and intellectual challenges are seen. So, the argument that a teeny baby seems okay is meaningless. Not all alcohol affected children have distinctly obvious facial features. I am not implying by the way, that any of the posters are obliviously producing damaged children through drinking. I'm just saying that we can't know how it would affect someone else. And we don't know quite how another person views a drink. For example, I have wine glasses that can take near enough a third of a bottle..

Last point, my guess about the children of occasional drinking mother have bigger vocabs etc, is that the mothers are rather more sociable which rubs off onto the children.

ExpatAl Sun 17-Feb-13 14:51:21

Just seen the comments about wine gums. Priceless!

PetiteRaleuse Sun 17-Feb-13 15:00:00

LeBOF you've never seen a pregnant French woman drink? That surprises me. After my 12 week scan in my first healthy pregnancy post miscarriages my OB GYN told me to go have a glass of champagne to celebrate. This provoked a discussion on drinking and from that I came to the conclusion a glass or two a week was fine (not more than one glass in one evening though).

LeBFG Sun 17-Feb-13 16:00:25

In our birth classes the only (educated) Parisian woman present argued at length with the MW about having a glass of champagne at Christmas. MW wouldn't budge in her opinion. The area I live in is rural and conservative - in fact, the main drinkers I know are the expats and the old. The younger generation (talking 55 years and younger!) seem to have shrugged off the wino habits grin. I really have never seen a pg woman drink - seen them smoke frequently (!), but not drink.

Expat, I think the higher IQ study is linked to higher parental IQ - i.e. there were more educated mums who chose to drink lightly with the less educated women deciding just to follow zero alcohol regime. It's a very good point you make about Asians. I have a good friend who can't drink any more than a small glass of wine because of a common ADH gene mutation in the Asian population.

Fairy130389 Sun 17-Feb-13 20:03:44

oh come ON ladies, don't you think there are enough people out there ready to stone us for having a bath that isa too hot to do it eachother?! it is personal choice. one glass WILL NOT be the end of the world. Don't feel bad about it if you do. read up on it, educate yourself and make a decision. pregnancy is stressful enough as it is.

just stear clear of the crack pipe. smile

Coconutty Sun 17-Feb-13 20:59:15

Angelico, I have no idea how much their mums drank during pregnancy, not privy to that info, would have been very interesting to know though.

The desire to smoke still gets me sometimes and it's been over 10 years since my last fag!

Coconutty Sun 17-Feb-13 21:02:06

Are the people on here saying emphatically that one glass won't do any damage experts in the field of FAS?

Thought not.

Apparently smoking during pregnancy is okay too, as my MIL did it for all of hers and they are all 6" rugby players....

Fairy130389 Sun 17-Feb-13 21:10:16

The point is, coco, that as a (I presume), reasonably well educated adult, you are entitled to formulate your own opinion, and make your own infomed decision. you are free to do this without being shot down in flames by somebody who decided not to take that particular risk.

glossyflower Sun 17-Feb-13 21:39:29

Women on the continent drink wine with their meals throughout. I'm not sure what their FAS rates are. Namely France and Italy.
I had severe HG for 10 weeks of my pg from weeks 7 to 17 where literally whatever I consumed I threw up, despite medication.
When I was really ill, I was advised to try flat coke even though you should avoid caffeine.
Now, I will eat and drink whatever I fancy. Within moderation. I had a glass of wine the other week because I fancied it, none before that or none since.
Over Xmas I indulged in some Stilton cheese.
Everything is fine with me and baby at 31 weeks.
Only you can decide if you want to risk it, I personally think the risk is quite low by having one glass of wine with a meal.

glossyflower apparently you can now gorge on Stilton all you like, it's too dry to harbour Listeria. More research has led to better, more specific guidelines. A bit like the reversal of the hysteria over FAS really.

glossyflower Mon 18-Feb-13 06:52:45

skiing that's made my day! I'm off to get some Stilton now!

glastocat Mon 18-Feb-13 07:23:42

I had one glass of wine every Friday when I was pregnant, it saved my sanity. I doubt it's any more dangerous than crossing the road, and would love to see evidence that FAS can be caused by having an occasional glass, surely if that were the case there would be a lot more of it about. like many people i drank loads before finding out i was pregnant! I know anecdote does not equal evidence, but my ds is 11 and is a very clever little chap.

redredwine84 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:59:13

As you can tell by the name I'm a red wine lover (alcohol gachtappo please do not translate that to alcoholic!) if you fancy a glass of wine, get a nice bottle, pour a little (usually a few mouthfulls) and sit with the glass and smell the wine and take occasional sips. This way it will last you a couple of hours, chill you out (stress is proven to be harmful to baby!!!) and you've satisfied your craving without posing a health risk! Enjoy!

ExpatAl Mon 18-Feb-13 10:18:43

Relentless stress such as having to live with domestic violence is harmful to baby. Wanting a glass of wine is not quite the same unless you're a raging alcoholic.

Hmmm, well I didn't realise I was pregnant (irregular cycle, and was under a lot of stress so AF even more erratic), and had two double G&T's when I was about 6 weeks as I was on a night out with friends. I had the odd spritzer when pregnant.

DD is 2 and advanced for her age, according to HV, etc.

I realise this is just my experience and opinion, and accept that everyone is different.

I don't smoke, and don't drink more than about 2 units a week anyway in the normal course of things.

TBH I ignored most of the "don't eat" advice too, with the exception of blue cheese. I don't eat meat anyway so no real concerns on that front. I found that when I was pregnant I had major cravings for healthy stuff, so my usual intake was plenty of water/fruit juice, a few cups of decaf tea, lots of fruit and lots of wholemeal stuff.

Have a shot glass of wine,and stop there? That's what I did

Sorry that early on. Later I did drink but I know the advice has changed.

glossyflower Mon 18-Feb-13 11:05:08

Well before I knew I was pregnant I went to a wedding and got very drunk on wine. I also had a red bull. Obviously now I know in pregnant I wouldn't do that.

redredwine84 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:06:54

Expat "relentless stress such as domestic violence is harmful to baby." I think the stress is the least harmful part of that situation if your a subject of domestic "violence", very silly! And you cannot compare the dangers of violence against a pregnant woman to a glass of wine! You sound a little stressed and wound up... Would recommend a nice glass of malbec : )

ExpatAl Mon 18-Feb-13 11:10:42

A pregnant woman who is living with domestic violence stress or similar produces massive amounts of cortisol which affects the baby. I'm not stressed at all - what an odd thing to say.

glossyflower Mon 18-Feb-13 11:12:47

I think what expat is saying that living in a household that's violent is stressful not just because of the physical violence but emotional and mental stress it can have on a person.
Walking on eggshells all the time to avoid a beating must be stressful 24hrs a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now