Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long are you (planning) to take off for maternity leave?

(40 Posts)
TwitchyTail Fri 15-Feb-13 10:13:09

I have planned 9 months, but am increasingly tempted to go for the full 12. We can manage financially and job is secure - I'm more worried about losing confidence at going back to work afterwards after being out of touch for so long...

What are you planning to do, or did you do with previous children?

GingerDoodle Fri 15-Feb-13 19:59:48

Thought i'd take 8 weeks, booked 8 months now changed to take the full 12 + annual leave and then working my notice!

13loki Fri 15-Feb-13 20:15:23

I've moved to Sweden. We Will get 480 days, at least 60 for each parent, so I'll take 420 days, and then take the left over from DD, Which is about 144 days. So about 560 days. Just over 1 and a half years. But I can take them part time, so it might be longer. sorry for being smug

Abigail9580 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:21:25

I was going to take 9m off, but love being at home and with DS that have decided to take the 12. But I am doing 10 kit days so I will still know a bit of what's going on, and won't have forgotten everything when I go back!!

SlouchingPanda Fri 15-Feb-13 20:29:33

I think I might move to Sweden!

Will probably take a full year as I will have to go back full time, plus nights, weekends and evenings. Thankfully we are in a fortunate financial situation so can manage this...

13loki Fri 15-Feb-13 20:37:16

All on 80% of 97% of normal pay, too smile currently working 50% and should get the rest of my time made up because I only took 6 months paid with my 7yo son, so on maternity leave 50% for him! I love, love, love having children in Sweden.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 15-Feb-13 20:41:21

I'm a childminder and am only planning on taking off 2-3 weeks, working the summer hols then only doing part time (1 1/2 days a week) from sept for a few months. I can't afford to miss summer hols income but at least I'm still at home for my children. If I were to take longer I'd be starting from scratch again and it's too quiet here at the moment to risk that.

ratbagcatbag Fri 15-Feb-13 20:46:02

Five months for me, I can't financially afford anymore, and will be back full time, only mega benefit is I can do flexi hours so even though will do eary drop off, I'll pick up dc (don't know what I'm having yet) around 3:30. Not ideal but no other way at the moment.

MrsAmaretto Fri 15-Feb-13 20:50:52

I'm taking 2weeks annual leave, then 12 months maternity, then 2-4weeks annual leave. Last time I took a total of 14months off.

MadameJosephine Fri 15-Feb-13 21:01:28

I'm having 9 months but will be returning 1 day per week for the last 10 weeks as KIT days to ease myself back in (and to get DP used to having baby as we can't afford full time child care). When I do go back I will have accrued enough holiday to take 15 hours per week for 3 months so will effectively be part time until DD is one but on full time money.

Rockchick1984 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:19:13

I was planning to take 9 months when I had DS (main breadwinner, loved my job) but once he was born I just couldn't do it - he's now 2 and I'm a SAHM smile

flyingsprocket Sat 16-Feb-13 13:05:14

I'm planning to take 11 months & OH the last month. We both work shifts including nights & nights away from home so I'm planning on going back part time (2 weeks on/2 weeks off) otherwise childcare would be almost impossible. OH is hoping to stay full time but take advantage of unpaid leave & parental leave so that he will be effictively working part time for a while.

I'm so grateful we're in a position to be able to take so much time.

fatandlumpy Sun 17-Feb-13 08:15:27

OH is leaving the Army and planning to be a stay-at-home-Dad, hence me taking just 6months as that's all we can comfortably afford.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 17-Feb-13 08:40:08

I had 9 last time and hope to have the same this time. I get no money after 9 months and can't manage with that so I don't have much choice.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 17-Feb-13 09:15:46

I had 9 last time and hope to have the same this time. I get no money after 9 months and can't manage with that so I don't have much choice.

Kelly1814 Sun 17-Feb-13 09:17:31

Wow this thread is making me jealous! I live in Dubai where maternity leave is 45 days...45 DAYS!! and this includes weekends! which means most people work right up unil their due date - colleague went into labour in a meeting!

most people try to add on vacation days to it....but still, it's horrific, hence a lot of people just don't go back to work and then try to find a new job when they are ready to get back into it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now