Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

That special 'coming home' outfit

(97 Posts)
mamabrownbear Thu 14-Feb-13 16:19:30

Already planning something special for bringing our bundle of joy home in and I just wondered what and where people are shopping for cute newborn clothing? I LOVE Boden but its very expenses however the first outfit should be a treat, for everyone, shouldn't it? All cute ideas very welcome...

Bluemonkeyspots Fri 15-Feb-13 11:13:09

Well I will really get the cat bums faces going as not only have I bought lots of blue & pink stuff (baby is a surprise) it all has slogans (gasp!) on it wink

We have lots of "keep calm and love mummy/daddy" etc.

buzzgirly Fri 15-Feb-13 11:21:55

When I was pregnant with dd I bought a white fluffy dungaree set from mothercare - it was gender neutral as we didn't know what dd was.

I used it again to take ds home in. I am very sentimental and I will keep that little suit forever!

purrpurr Fri 15-Feb-13 11:37:56

Bluemonkey and quite right too!

FoofFighter Fri 15-Feb-13 11:48:14

When I say a special outfit, I don't mean a stiff scratchy pair of jeans, or a crunkly party dress or anything hmm just something a bit more fancy than a plain white boring babygro, something like this maybe direct.asda.com/george/baby-romper-suits/max-knitted-baby-all-in-one-and-hat/G003899500,default,pd.html

glossyflower Fri 15-Feb-13 13:00:16

Lol. I love the expression cats bum face!! Hehe

EmpireBiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 13:02:58

My baby is 3 weeks old - is wearing an outfit for the first time today, he's lived in babygros until now!

EmpireBiscuit Fri 15-Feb-13 13:04:59

Realised that wasn't particularly helpful - I'm a 1st time mum too and had very little confidence handling him initially. Babygros are easy to get on and off and are comfy for the wee ones. Buttons up the back are a no go for me!

Msbluesky32 Fri 15-Feb-13 13:12:56

Im packing the easiest clothes with lots of poppers as Im sure I will be so nervous about dressing her first time round. Maybe a nice hand knitted cardigan to compensate.

Going home outfits are a lovely idea though, I wish I were more confident about my baby dressing skills! - it is a very special day after all.

Chopsypie Fri 15-Feb-13 13:32:17

Msbluesky32 Make your OH do it, then snigger.

In seriousness, you soon get used to it.

Weissdorn Fri 15-Feb-13 14:29:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rainand Mon 18-Feb-13 09:53:28

The best home taking outfit I have seen is in Zara - Zara mini. Pricey but very smart and cute.

Camwombat Mon 18-Feb-13 15:00:15

Weissdorn, my DS never fitted the newborn things we had been lent, our going home outfit was also 0-3m.

DS though was very long and skinny, despite being 9lb 4oz, but his feet and legs were always to big/long for sleepsuits very soon after birth.

LuckyOwl28 Mon 18-Feb-13 16:41:12

Subscribe to zulily.co.uk they have gorgeous 'fancy' baby clothes from various companies reduced. I'm obsessed by it and dying to buy loads but we don't know what we're having yet!

I like the idea of a special outfit for the first photo that will go in his/her baby book and probably be circulated round Facebook within minutes!

Dahlen Mon 18-Feb-13 16:45:44

Well you could do what I did and not buy any outfits at all. I thought I had it covered with enough babygrows and scratchmitts. blush I didn't realise until I was in hospital and saw lots of babies in lovely outfits and TBH I was a bit shocked to find out that DC were expected to be clothed during the day and that babygrows were more akin to PJs. Wish DC had been informed that they were supposed to sleep when wearing babygrows...

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 18-Feb-13 16:47:39

I got my first baby a lovely snow suit from mamas and papas and baby number two wore the same one with a little white company outfit underneath.

mamabrownbear Sun 17-Mar-13 08:10:48

Ok just to update I've got a couple of babygros incase I can't be bothered with the fancy outfit or if she is a wee pooping machine!! However I also have a back up cute white dress with pastel spots from mothercare who have loads of pretty dresses. That's all I'm buying. I was given loads of clothes so it was also a treat to myself to spend a little on cute outfits which I really like. And if she can't fit into the dress on her way home or if I can't be bothered she will get use from it at a later stage so not a waste of money and either way I hope she will look lovely, albeit probably all newborn and scrunchy!!

KatAndKit Sun 17-Mar-13 09:33:23

The current next directory has some AWESOME unisex outfits - lovely bright colours and stripes. My DS is no longer a newborn but he is rocking one of the 3 pack of babygrows right now - stripey sleeves and back and a lovely hot air balloon on the front. I have never seen the bright stuff in the shops but it is all there on the website.

I can understand the "outfit" wish but stick with something reasonably sensible, chances are your baby will be sleeping and trying to wrestle a sleepy baby into a shirt and trousers is not a top plan. Pick a fancy babygrow and cardigan or at least something soft and comfy like a romper suit with feet (essentially a babygrow without the front poppers).

White babygrows and vests are very cute on newborns but I have to say I love the bright funky stuff you can get now and it hides stains better than bright white so lasts longer.

KatAndKit Sun 17-Mar-13 09:34:52

Babies can wear sleepsuits in the day. Dressing them up fancy during hospital stay is bonkers. They sleep most of the day anyway. Then you put them in the "sleepsuit" at night and the little monkeys stay awake. Perhaps we should dress them in the outfits for bed?

miarosemum Sun 17-Mar-13 09:36:36

I go for a normal baby grow but I am using a hand knitted matinee coat that I brought dd1 home in, sentimental to me

Waswondering Sun 17-Mar-13 09:42:02

Op, congratulations.

Whatever you decide, do check how easy it is to get the outfit on. I got ds (9) a cute cream velour sleep suit thing (more day than night iykwim) and it had 3 poppers on the back. That was all. I cried trying to put it on him, not quite knowing how much I could wrestle my pfb into the thing! So whatever you choose, make life easy for you.

Fwiw, 3y later we brought dd home ... I don't recall sat she came home in but do remember great fun in photos over the next few days.

Wishing you all the best with your baby when it comes.

Pinkbump3 Sun 17-Mar-13 09:56:42

With my 3 they all has a coming home outfit nothing fancy just a pretty babygro with nice hat and nice cardi and blanket and I will do the same with no 4! It's a happy occasion to be bringing baby home and in the hosp it was so warm all I wore on them was vests.

As fafing around with outfits I would always dress baby during day and babygro for bedtime it was part of our routine which helped me in the beginning as I had a little of the baby blues and getting up and getting myself and baby dressed was really about getting me out of my rut and out my bed x

piprabbit Sun 17-Mar-13 10:00:23

Boggles at the idea of putting a new born in a dress. Will you also be trying to get her into tights?

MirandaWest Sun 17-Mar-13 10:40:53

I have no idea what DS or DD wore to come home from hospital. They seem to be unscathed by this.

twinklesparkles Sun 17-Mar-13 11:32:26

I've got a little pink dress from next, white tights and cardi (maybe pink cardi) and white fluffy ugg style boots

I've done a hat that I've customised with little crystals and pink glitter buttons.. Either that or pink I love daddy hat.... Or a headband... Will see at the time ;)

I've just got random babygrows ect for before we come home, I guess the outfits just for leaving hospital.

DS1 had a sleepsuit and babygro, DS2 had a superman sleepsuit that DS1 had chosen.

I really couldn't do the faff with the little outfits having just given birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now