Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should I carry my notes?

(56 Posts)
McRoo Wed 13-Feb-13 13:51:52

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a quick bit of advice here. I'm 28 weeks pregnant with my DC1, work in London but live in North Hertfordshire so it takes me at least an hour and a half to get home (assuming I'm not waiting for tubes or trains).

I always take my notes with me if I stay away from home for a night or go on a day trip far away, just in case, but should I start taking them to work as I'm so far away from home? And, when do you think I should start doing this?

Thanks!

StuckOnARollercoaster Mon 18-Feb-13 10:18:10

I've put mine in a plastic wallet - A4 pack of documents around here.
Now I've got to 24 weeks am going to keep in car (I commute to work by car).
I stop work at 30 weeks - at that point I'm going to use a larger handbag that will fit them... mmm new handbag as am not sure any of my current ones are sufficient wink!!!

Rowan1204 Sun 17-Feb-13 19:30:42

I had mine on me most of the time from 36 weeks or so with ds1. Just incase. This time its twins so finishing for mat leave earlier than last time but will prob lug them about from 26 wks.
mcRoo i also live in north herts and work in London... We probably get the same train line!

MorganLeFey Sun 17-Feb-13 19:04:06

Pleased to hear all was ok, Alison.

I think delaying initial assessment because you don't have them is ridiculous & potentially puts them at medico-legal risk... although obviously having them is easier.
If I was or was with someone in that situation I would ask what their time target from presentation with foetal wellbeing concerns to auscultation of foetal heart beat/initiation of CTG monitoring was (place I worked was within 15 minutes!) & that if I could be given directions I'd happily take myself round to the maternity triage area for the clock to start ticking!

AlisonL1981 Sun 17-Feb-13 16:29:25

Thanks ladies. Everything was ok. A woman drove into the back if my car. I was sure we were ok but wanted checking due to the seatbelt. Treatment was delayed as I didn't have my notes. Had to stay in a&e and wait rather than go to adau.

BraveLilBear Fri 15-Feb-13 07:37:18

Alison are you ok? Did they delay your treatment because you didn't have your notes? I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous...

As for new bag, great but where the hell does everyone find the money for all the new clothes, food cravings, vitamins, baby stuff and a new bag? A bag to me is a frivolous luxury when there are other priorities.

Never was especially girly though...

Emus Thu 14-Feb-13 21:23:34

Gosh, hope you are ok Alison?

I decided to put my notes in my bag when I was 32 weeks as I work in a different county and travel and hour and a half each way. I don't know why I decided to do it that day but I'm pleased I did as that night I went to stay at my mums house (near to where I work) and I properly stacked it into the pavement landing on my precious bump.

I immediately went to the local hospital but was so pleased to have my notes. I've carried them with me ever since.

AlisonL1981 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:44:11

I ended up in a&e yesterday after a car accident but didnt have my notes. Could have been seem so much quicker if I'd had them.

MiaowTheCat Thu 14-Feb-13 20:43:26

Never did last pregnancy - never got the chance to to be honest with going so prematurely.

This time around I'll probably chuck them in the back of the car after next midwife appointment (praying I make it - it's past the point I gave birth last time) and leave them in there... with how pants transport links are locally - there's no way I'll be arriving at either the hospital or the GPs surgery in anything other than car - or ambulance, in which case hubby would be following in the car anyway.

I long since ditched the cruddy Bounty folder (never quite felt comfortable carting around a huge "HOOO GUYS I'M PREGGAZ" sign) and have them in an A4 folder of my own. Bounty pack had fallen apart by the time I got home from booking in appointment under the cumulative weight of the junk mail.

TwitchyTail Thu 14-Feb-13 20:09:14

Realistically, it depends what's in them.

If you have a complex medical or obstetric history and the information contained in the notes is critical to the health of you and the baby, then I'd say carry them all the time from as early as possible.

If you're having a straightforward pregnancy and the notes will not add anything to standard care if you were admitted in an emergency, I'm not sure I would bother.

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Feb-13 13:46:41

New bag, new bag, new bag!!!! grin

McRoo Thu 14-Feb-13 13:43:29

Thanks, everyone. Really interesting to hear everyone's opinions and it has really made me think about it from a wide variety of perspectives.

I must admit I had been put off because it seems a bit of a faff because they aren't the smallest things in the world but I do have Crohn's disease, asthma and some medicine allergies and should I be unconscious...well doesn't bear thinking about.

Thanks, everyone! (Might treat myself to a new handbag though!)

FoofFighter Thu 14-Feb-13 12:59:22

totally ridiculous that from dot they expect you to carry them with you at all times, completely impractical.

DontmindifIdo Thu 14-Feb-13 12:46:02

When I was pregnant with DS, I had a scare when I was working in central London at 34 weeks - my midwife told me not to come home to go to our local hospital (would have taken about an hour/hour and half to get from work to the local hospital), but go to the nearest in London. They told me off for not having my notes with me blush

This time round, I'm currently 23 weeks and intend to start carrying them from next week/week after when I go into London (assume when I'm local to my house I'll not bother as I'd always pop home first).

What I have done, is taken the notes out of the bounty folder (not advertising for them anyway!) and dumped all the adverts leaflets, put my scan photos elsewhere etc and just take the notes.

Of course, this might be a good excuse to get yourself over to style and beauty and ask for advise for a new handbag that's big enough to carry the A4 folder of notes in it. wink

I carried them at all times, right from the start.

Just got a bigger handbag (more like a satchel) that had my notes, spare knickers and maternity pads and water as well as all the usual handbag stuff.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 14-Feb-13 12:39:11

According to my midwife ALL the time. Kind of the point isn't it? A baby/ situation can happen at any time after all unfortunately. It's a drag though as its heavy....

Don't want to carry all of it photocopy and keep in an envelope in your bag. Can shrink copies to a5? Seems an idea at least?

I was at about your stage, OP, when I was wondering the same thing.
Then bang on 29 weeks, I started bleeding at work and went straight into hospital - no notes. They didn't mind too much, and at least DH was able to go home and bring them in that evening (1.5hr round trip), but obviously there is key information in there which the hospital might need to know (bloods etc) and if you are anything other than low risk, it is even more important to have them with you.

I concur with those who put them in a folder - mine turned into a complete mess in hospital with pages detaching all over the place, so better to be sure it is all together.

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy thanks

MrsHBaby3 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:21:56

I only carry mine when I go to an appt. I'd feel ridiculous carrying them about everywhere! Can you imagine just going to the shops and trying to make a toddler hold hands plus shopping plus notes?

PurplePidjin Thu 14-Feb-13 07:13:37

I photocopied the relevant page of information and folded it in with my scan pics. Full version lived in my car.

jaffajiffy Thu 14-Feb-13 07:07:06

I fell on my bump at 24w and got loads of grief for not having my notes with me. "you should carry them as soon as you're pregnant" was the advice. They checked the baby anyway and all was well, but didn't ask my blood type so didn't give me the anti-d I should have had. The notes are SO heavy though it's ridiculous. Need to change the system somehow!

vvviola Thu 14-Feb-13 06:32:17

On DD1, I think I carried mine from about 30 weeks - but only if I was going to be more than 30 minutes from home.

On DD2, I was in Belgium and had no notes - just a card with my patient number (and possibly barcode). Every room in the hospital seemed to have a computer & they could access my notes on that. It did occur to me that this wouldn't be a lot of help if something happened when I was away from Brussels.

Emsyboo Thu 14-Feb-13 05:49:15

With DS I never had them except appointments but got told off when I visited a friend and went into hospital around 28 weeks for reduced movement.
This pregnancy I take then everywhere as I have placenta previa so could bleed at any time - and have.
Mine are A4 in a white plastic folder but still bulky even in a big bag I use to carry DSs changing mat and nappies etc.
I think they are important to update rather than have a picture but common sense about when to carry them is probably needed.
Obviously take them on trips and holidays and if you have a long commute like OP seems a good idea. Taking them to the corner shop may be a bit excessive.
Also the further on you are the more important it is to have them

Mutley77 Wed 13-Feb-13 23:10:47

They do have a bee in their bonnet about the notes but as I wrote mine myself at my booking in and am very clear about what they say I am not intending to carry them round with me. If I go I in unconscious I trust they will act appropriately to the situation and if I had them in a bag there is no guarantee that it would end up in hospital with me or they would look in it anyway.
When I arrived in labour with my first there were no staff available so no one gave my notes a second glance. Obv I took them in for my elcs with number 2 though!

AmberLav Wed 13-Feb-13 22:16:54

I had a funny turn at 26 weeks last pregnancy, and the day assessment unit told me to come in, but only after I'd gone home to get my notes! As I could have gotten a direct train to the hospital from work, and I ended up getting a taxi from home, I then decided that it was easier just to carry them around after that.

I started carrying them at 28 weeks this time round, on the theory/hope that sods law would mean that I wouldn't need them till after 40 weeks..

I was told when pregnant with dc1 though at booking in to keep the notes with me at all times. Thought this was odd tbh, as I miscarried last year before I had even had my booking in?!

I'm nearly 30 weeks and this week having been working 70 miles away from home. Have been keeping notes in boot of car, mainly because of how far from home I am really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now