Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

2nd/3rd/4th time mums - are your 'symptoms' the same or different?

(14 Posts)
beckie90 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:09:55

R.e leg hair growth ds1 was the same as normal. Ds2 I was like a gorilla, this time its about same maybe slower. Hmmm its all fun guessing but it baffles me. MIL did ring theory over my palm she swears its never been wrong for them. It shows how many kids and what sexs (in order) mine did boy boy girl girl. The 2 boys bit is true x

FoofFighter Tue 12-Feb-13 15:50:41

What's your leg hair growth like? grin read a theory on this board that it was rampant with a certain sex!

FoofFighter Tue 12-Feb-13 15:48:57

Am PG with DC3. Although memory is a little hazy seeing as it was 22 and 18 years ago I last did this!! (plus a MMC last year)

The only thing different between this one and the first two is insomnia. I am sure I would have remembered this angry I did suffer in the pg last year too though. Could be to do with different fathers maybe I don't know.

Re sickness, threw a few chunks with DC1, nothing at all with DC2 not even nausea, MMC pg and DC3 24/7 nausea but no throwing up.

re gender, had an inkling with the first two that were correct, was too early with the MMC pg, and in the last week or two (14 weeks today) have had a feelign this is a boy smile

So all in all, I can't see any patterns really? Unless anyone else can?

sheeplikessleep Tue 12-Feb-13 14:27:26

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, no clear cut answer grin ... guess I'll have to wait to find out.

ChairmanWow Tue 12-Feb-13 13:39:26

Mainly vomit-related differences! With my son I had some nausea in the mornings and evenings, but nothing overwhelming and I will still managing to cycle to work and do normal stuff. This time I'm having a girl and I had HG, had to take 5 weeks off work and go onto medication in order to keep down any food or fluids at all.

I've found this pregnancy more taxing, and currently have PGP/SPD but I think that's more related to already having a toddler and it being a second pregnancy.

Snowflakepie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:35:48

Some symptoms the same, some different! Main differences from DD were getting spots on chin this time, mahoosive boobs and legs turning into a yeti where hair growth stopped with DD. No sickness with either, same food preferences, same size bump roughly. This one is a DS according to scan. Placenta is anterior again which can have more impact on bump shape apparently. Just for fun I did the Chinese gender predictor thing online, and that did come out correctly for DD and DS. I just had to find out, no patience and that was my 20 week reward!

beckie90 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:34:56

Oh n cravings this time are fruit (never ever been botherd) orange juice. Freezing cold water. And chocolate x

beckie90 Tue 12-Feb-13 13:33:34

Hey, im 14+3 with Dc3 I have a gender scan next week. I have 2 ds's with them I was quite normal looking ha no spots etc etc, no sickness, just nausea with ds2. Cravings were mainly non food items that I obviously cudnt eat, also Chinese crisps and cake (but I always like cake) this time I'm full of spots hair looks limp and keeps falling out :/ had evening sickness and nausea aswell as everything else going lol. So I did think girl but then reading it up more I don't think it is now I just think every pregnancy is different, sure Il see next week xx

blueberryupsidedown Tue 12-Feb-13 13:32:21

1st pregnancy, cravings, eating constantly, even at night, lots of cramps in the legs, lots of swelling and water retention problems. Always always always thirsty. Boy.

2nd pregnancy, cravings, eating constantly (especially sweets, two top favourites Crunchy Nuts and Kit Kat Crunchy!), even at night, lots of cramps in the legs , very little swelling and water problems. Another boy.

Both pregnancies I was convinced (convinced) it was going to be a girl, wrong both times.

sheeplikessleep Tue 12-Feb-13 13:28:28

Interesting looney that you had such different cravings this time!

Congrats on your third DS, be fab to have a brood of boys. I go from days to thinking a girl would be lovely, then days where I think a boy would be lovely ... I just want to know. My DH thinks I'm mad for being so impatient.

Anyway, thinking about it all is better than me worrying about my 12 week scan on Thursday.

sheeplikessleep Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:00

It really is!

I wonder why pregnancy symptoms are different for different genders. I understand the hormones might be different (e.g. maybe carrying more testosterone if a boy maybe?), but I can't understand why there would be such a physical difference. <Getting interested in the theories behind it!>

In until a week ago - I'd have put money on another boy - constant nausea, no actual sickness, real exhaustion and wanting carb heavy foods and protein.

But in the last week, my food preferences have really changed. I'm craving sweets (which I never really eat) and juice and eating more fruit (which I really didn't want last two times). Also, I think I look pretty ill at moment, whereas I don't think I looked that bad with DS1 and DS2. My hair is greasy and I'm more spotty.

Well it's all good fun guessing!

looneytune Tue 12-Feb-13 13:20:41

I'm expecting DS3 and had very different cravings this time and had a much worse 1st trimester but I reckon that's due to me already having 2 boys keeping me busy as well as up to 5 other children on top each day (childminder) so I reckon it's just that each pregnancy is different.

Good luck with the 20 week scan, it felt like a massive wait some times but then it seemed to fly by smile

Missingthemincepies Tue 12-Feb-13 13:19:14

This time I was sicker, more dizzy and generally felt different in a non-specific way. Was so very sure it was a dd as so different from pg with DS. I was right. Should say i wasn't hoping for a DD, id have been genuinely happy with either.
But i know people who've had equally different pregnancies and its been the same sex as before.

It's a long wait isn't it!

sheeplikessleep Tue 12-Feb-13 13:14:23

I'm the most impatient person ever and can't wait until 20 weeks to find out gender, so googling all of the gender theories.

I just wondered if you experienced different pregnancies and had the same gender or same pregnancies but different genders?

Did you gut instinct come true?

I'm fairly convinced we're expecting a fab DS3, but I am starting to doubt this (much spottier, craving sweeter foods this time, putting on more weight - last times had much neater bumps).

Help me to naval gaze for the next 9 weeks (I'm only 11 weeks at mo!)

Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now