Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby stuff!

(39 Posts)
princesschick Tue 12-Feb-13 11:55:31

So, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and haven't bought any stuff yet. But I have been putting my shopping spreadsheet list together so I can just do a big internet shop nearer the time when I've saved up some pennies and moved into our new house. So far, I've chosen the pram, car seat, moses basket and bedding.

Other things on my list:
Baby clothes
Baby bath - (tummy tub? - anyone used one of these? We have a small house so it appeals on the space saving aspect)
Changing mat
Nappies (starting with eco disposables and maybe moving to cloth)
Bibs
Muslin squares
Baby towels
Sling
Bouncy chair
Toiletries
Nail clipper / scissor set
Nursing chair
Breast feeding pillow
Breast pump

Have I missed anything obvious?!

Also wondered if anyone has seen any starter packs pf organic white /gender neutral baby clothes on their travels? I'd just like a couple gender neutral starter packs for my hospital bag (baby grows, cotton hats, vests and the like - M&S and Mothercare seem to do lots but not organic - am I being too PFB?)

Does anyone know of any non toxic baby furniture too? I've found a cot but the company who make the cot don't make any other pieces of furniture. I don't know if I'm fussing too much but it's nice to have the option.

Thanks in advance. thanks

EauRouge Tue 12-Feb-13 13:04:01

I agree that a nursing chair and a breastfeeding pillow aren't necessary if you have a comfy chair and normal cushions or pillows.

With regards to the sling, maybe go along to a sling meet or similar to try a few out. Definitely avoid the baby bjorn type things; they are terrible for your back and you can't carry your baby in once they are more than a couple of months old. Wraps, ring slings or mei tais are much better.

Baby towels - NO. Far too small, you won't use them for long. I've found the big bath towels the best - you can really wrap the baby up well in them (good if they have no nappy on ;)).

rootypig Tue 12-Feb-13 13:06:42

We spent a lot on the cot / bedding too - got a second hand bednest for £150 on ebay, then bought a Little Green Sheep organic mattress.

and then she refused to sleep anywhere other than our cheapo Ikea mattress with us for the first month! grin (she loves the cot now)

MortifiedAdams Tue 12-Feb-13 13:06:58

Dont go mad.on clothes - you will get twice as many in gifts as you could.imagine.

I didnt bother with a baby bath, just had a little terry towelling ramp.in the big bath. Same with baby towels, used them many twice.

Definetly get yourself a new dressing gown - a big fluffy one with pocoets for the tv remote and a water.bottle.

Another tip we did was to get a little basket for the lounge and restock it every night with nappies, wipes, spare.onesies, dummy and creams. Saves running around looking for stuff every change.

Limelight Tue 12-Feb-13 13:07:39

My only advice is that you actually need LESS than you think. And you have plenty of time to buy things as and when you work out you need them.

A few specifics:

You don't need a nail clipper set thing. You can just use normal nail scissors.

Sleeping bags are a god send

If you're buying muslins, don't bother with bins for now. How much you use them will depend on whether you BF or not, and frankly on the whims of your DC. DS never ever wore a bib until he was eating solids. DD was a really soggy baby and wore one every day.

Ikea for muslins. Cheap as chips.

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 12-Feb-13 13:08:07

I'd say you are missing a baby monitor. Depends on your house/flat though.

Our house is on 4 floors and DS's bedroom and our room was on the top floor, so I couldn't hear him otherwise. Definitely needed one. I'd recommend the BT one which we got in John Lewis - it's got a built in room thermometer, which I found invaluable for keeping the room at the right temperature and it saves buying two different things.

princesschick Tue 12-Feb-13 13:09:10

It is sooooo much fun, but I find myself looking at cute things like this rather than sensible things like sterilisers and room thermometers!!

Twitchy good luck with everything - not long to go now - you must be really excited grin

snowflakepie I haven't even really started thinking about hospital bags - we don't have an expensive camera, we have my digital, which is very temperamental and iPhones!! A disposable is a very good idea. Oh and I have mentioned in passing to DH that I want our cool box to be full of treats (like pate) and edible non hospital food!! The nappy lady recommended cloth wipes to me but I thought they might be a bit faffy. I think I'll get some and see how we get on. So much to think about!

I've got loads more things on my list now - can't keep thanking you enough smile

With regard to the towel - buy 2 or 3 in the same colour, and they can just be used for the baby. We also use ours as a big rug for LO to lie on and kick around with no nappy on, good for catching wee!

noblegiraffe Tue 12-Feb-13 13:11:40

Second little green sheep if you want organic mattress, bedding, clothes, but they're expensive!

MortifiedAdams Tue 12-Feb-13 13:12:55

Aden and Anais do the nicest swaddling muslins.

forevergreek Tue 12-Feb-13 13:13:11

I wouldn't bother with baby bath. Just use bathroom or kitchen sink. Or bath them in with you. You can always run a bath with baby friendly bubbles for yourself/ dh and get the other one who isn't in bath to pass baby to you to bath and is great way to bond skin to skin. My dh loved baths with baby as ment he got close snuggles as I was breastfeeding so he missed out there. Baby would bath for 10 mins or so, then pass baby to me and I would wrap up and feed in towel, then get them changed.

We also didn't get a baby mat thing but a nice baby sheepskin for them to lay on and stretch. It means as they grow you can still use as a rug in their bedroom.

Also toiletries. Babies really don't need anything at all and just water is recommended. From about 6 months we have used an organic baby shampoo and body wash combined and that's it ( so only one bottle). 101 lotions and potions aren't needed

If you're getting a big cot-bed for the baby, I think the cot-top changers are brilliant. Once baby is bigger (and you don't want it on the top anymore), they slide neatly under the cot instead.

Oh and I second the poster who said a basket of things in the living room - nappies, wipes, creams, muslins etc. I found that VERY helpful during the first few weeks while we were getting into a routine.

notso Tue 12-Feb-13 13:48:08

I second the Aden and Anais muslins, they can be bought really cheaply from TK Maxx, I got four for £5. They are so soft, and the size is much more useful than the smaller squares. They can be used for pretty much anything from emergency nappy to sunshade.

H&M do lovely organic baby clothes and I find the sizes better, they do a 0-1 month and a 2-4 month.

If you can get to a nearly new sale you can probably pick up a tummy tub for £5, and a bouncy chair v.cheaply as well.

princesschick Tue 12-Feb-13 16:23:26

Ooooo, will have to check out TKMaxx, I usually avoid as ours is like a jumble sale and v.busy at the weekends - plus there are some professional TKMaxx shoppers who tend to know when to go and how to find the bargains - so all the good stuff is usually gone. Some of the ladies on my antenatal thread have mentioned that they are selling Aden and Anais muslins and sleep bags and DreamGenii pillows too - I must admit as I haven't bothered looking yet I had no idea just how much cheaper the baby stuff would be in there. I'm popping into town to see a friends new baby tonight and TXMaxx don't shut til 7, so I may have time to pop in and check out the baby section tonight after seeing her. Exciting!

Also, thanks for the H&M tip. We have quite a big H&M baby / children's store here, so I'll see if they do the organic range when I next get to the shops. Having looked at my list and the costs mounting, I think I might have to bite the bullet and start buying some of the little things now out of my weekly spending money.

Ladies of MN you are legends when it comes to sorting this sort of stuff out! Hugely thankful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now