Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

12 week scan - absent nasal bone - anyone else had this?

(25 Posts)
sophie8080 Thu 04-Apr-13 07:54:21

Thanks for the reply - you're right i am going to give my midwife a call today as whilst at the time I went along with the consultant as she was pretty positive the more I think about it the more I think I don't want to just wait till the next scan without at least getting a better understanding of the odds. Am thinking of getting a private second NT scan in a week as well if my hosp (kings London) won't do another one as I am still considered low risk.

Runningblue Wed 03-Apr-13 22:14:03

Hello, could you call your mw for reassurance/ support? If you feel that things have been left a bit vague, he/she should be able to provide advice and signpost you to doctors etc if needed. I would hate the wait too-8 weeks is a long time sad

sophie8080 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:10:40

Hi, I am in the same position as Islingtongirl and was wondering if you did ask for a second scan in the end? All my bloods and NT were fine but an un-clearly calciified nasal bone took my ratio down to 1:441. The consultant didn't seem too concerned and said we should wait till the 20 week scan as it will most likely calcify but I am freaking out a bit now at home and not sure I want to spend the next 8 weeks worrying about it.

Thanks.

Emsyboo Wed 13-Feb-13 04:46:17

Maybe you should ask for a chat with the doctor to explain it all to you say you are concerned and nothing has been explained to you let them know you are concerned and get them to talk through what it means they will then let you know why another scan isn't needed or if it is then can refer you for another - goodluck x

islingtongirl Tue 12-Feb-13 23:14:30

Thanks and yes I am at UCLH! I still haven't called (well thats a small lie, I tried to and after being given 3 different numbers and options to press I couldn't get through to anyone so gave up as was at work). I'm trying to work out if I am just finding something to worry about when everything else was so positive and my risk is still so low at 1:5000. So hard! confused

StripeyOrangeTrousers Tue 12-Feb-13 19:04:29

I had this - bloods, my age (34 at the time) and absence of visible nasal bone gave me a 1/167 risk of Downs. I had a CVS which came back clear. The nose was perfectly ossified and visible by 20 weeks and I'm currently feeding 3 month old DD to sleep. She is perfect and just has a small nose, as do I! Are you at UCLH? I was and found them very good and thorough. I understand your worry but I'm not sure what good a repeat scan would be if the bone simply isn't there yet (which is not in itself anything to worry about). I do hope you get some reassurance very soon though.

islingtongirl Tue 12-Feb-13 14:16:13

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I will try the hospital first and then maybe a private scan if I am still worried. Will also discuss with OH. Will keep you all updated. And thank you again!

Snowflakepie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:31:07

I don't know what the nasal bone is meant to be a marker for, but at 12 weeks owing to the position of babies hands mine couldn't be seen at all, and they didn't seem bothered, just marked it as not able to be visualised. All perfect at 20 weeks. The bloods were all fine but didn't get the results for a week after the scan so not sure if that would have a bearing on the nasal bone aspect?

If it is really worrying you then contact them again and see if they can just do a quick scan on the face area. Otherwise it might be worth the cost of a private scan to give you peace of mind. Good luck x

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:14

I second another scan Islington, just to put your mind at ease.
I do think other markers would,ve been picked up if anything was amiss
I totally understand your concern.

Please keep us updated.thanks

NewChoos Tue 12-Feb-13 12:25:39

Ii's so stressful isn't it. Hopefully it isn't anything to worry about and another scan will reassure you. Definitely call them, maybe even an explanation will be enough to stop you worrying as much.
<holds hand>

knittingirl Tue 12-Feb-13 12:25:38

The dr must have seen this type of thing before, it's what they do for a living, so I would be very much reassured that the dr is not worried (and this is probably why you weren't offered a follow up scan), and despite it they still gave you very low odds so are clearly not concerned by it.

However, if it would give you peace of mind then I would request another scan or go privately - this isn't a time you want to be worried!

islingtongirl Tue 12-Feb-13 10:07:02

Thanks NewChoos - I think I will call later today. OH thinks I shouldn't worry but my overwhelming sense from here is that it is a concern and I should get it checked. Why didn't the doctor offer a follow up scan? sad I jut feel sick with worry.

NewChoos Tue 12-Feb-13 07:15:42

I have always been able to get repeat scans on the nhs if there is a concern, try and have a chat with the screening coordinator midwife, they are normally very helpful.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Mon 11-Feb-13 22:04:12

Yes the window is narrow for the Nt scan iirc, and the cvs.
I got seen at the special clinic at Birmingham Womens by Dr Martin and his team.
I think because my bloods were awful, he rang me at home to explain what they meant.
Tbh Islingtongirl the nasal bone didn,t worry him too much, dd had good bone length, NT measurement was good, and no "white" areas on the scan.
This was all on the Nhs btw.

Lostonthemoors Mon 11-Feb-13 21:53:32

There's quite a narrow window for the NT scan iirc. don't you have to have it before 14 weeks for it to be accurate?

I would call supervisor of mw in antenatal unit of hospital where you are booked and if that doesn't work then book private scan. Iirc was around £125.

islingtongirl Mon 11-Feb-13 21:42:50

Thanks ThePathan smile

Do the nhs do follow up scans? Thought they would just tell me to wait...

NewChoos Mon 11-Feb-13 21:24:28

I think worth asking for a repeat scan on the nhs with fetel medicine consultant.

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Mon 11-Feb-13 21:22:47

My dd is 5 now, so a while ago. My dh is Pakistani and my father is black. Her nasal bone didn,t show up either.
When my bloods came back (age adjusted, I was 38) i was given a 1/10 for trisomy 21(downs).
I did go on to have a cvs at 13 wks, mostly because of the bloods, as i,d been told, there were no other markers, and the baby was really active.
The cvs came back clear, it was a horrible tie. Best wishes and thoughts.Feel free to pm me if i can helo at all.
thanks

islingtongirl Mon 11-Feb-13 21:22:17

Ok thanks, maybe I will...my OH doesn't think it is necessary ... So it's hard to hide/justify the cost! Maybe I will just fund it myself.,,hard with work etc too but I guess I don't want to spend the next 8 weeks worrying... The doctor just seemed so not worried sad

NewChoos Mon 11-Feb-13 21:12:37

I think I would need to know, sorry didn't mean to worry you. But it's a long wait til your next scan.

Lostonthemoors Mon 11-Feb-13 21:11:30

Tbh I would get a second opinion purely because otherwise I know I would worry. I didn't mean to make you worry more.

The Foetal Medicine Centre achieves a 90% accuracy in the NT, which is more than most of the NHS scans and is run by the guru of NHS NT scanning. Professor Nicolaides.

islingtongirl Mon 11-Feb-13 21:01:22

Thanks for the replies. My NT measurement was normal at 1.4, bloods normal etc. just this not fully "ossified" nasal bone. Doctor didn't seem too concerned and they would just check it out at the 20 week scan - so you guys think worth getting another scan/second opinion? I was trying not to worry too much hmm

NewChoos Mon 11-Feb-13 20:51:13

Could you ask for a detailed 16 week scan with the consultant? I have recently had one (for another issue) and it was fairly reassuring although we are oping for an amnio. If you want an amnio you probably could get on the nhs - worth asking. Was the nuchal fold ok and your blood results?
Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Lostonthemoors Mon 11-Feb-13 20:49:00

Can you go for a private scan to get a second opinion? If you are anywhere near London the Foetal Medicine Centre does highly accurate NT scans.

islingtongirl Mon 11-Feb-13 20:47:32

Hi, this is my first post here! So hello smile

Had my 12 week scan today - everything looked great, my DS test result was 1:5100 or something, which apparently is low risk. However the doctor had to state the nasal bone as "absent". It was "there", as in we could see it but it was supposed to be "brighter" than the skin for it to show fully ossified (i.e. hardened) but it was same or a bit duller. She said not to worry too much, my risk was still low, the baby is still very small so hard to see and also my husband is of Asian origin so they often have smaller/less defined nasal bones.

I was fine when I left, but now I am having niggling worries about DS and googling everything Has anyone else experienced this and can give me some reassurance? They say they will check again at the 20 week scan, but it seems so long away. I'm such an impatient person, I don't want to get so freaked out I consider doing a private CVS/amnio or something silly when I don't need to....

Thanks for reading.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now