Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Baby clothes sizes

(17 Posts)
AlohaMama Wed 13-Feb-13 23:47:50

Or just buy a range, but don't be tempted to pre-wash everything. Just open & wash one pack of newborn size, and then you can take the rest back if necessary. If you have a few 0-3 you're you'll definitely get use out of them at somepoint. And accept offers of 2nd hand - you get through so many outfits a day that if some are stained and not so pretty it doesn't matter, just keep those ones to use at home and save the nicer stuff for going out.

samandkat Wed 13-Feb-13 22:48:20

You could also get a few of each size and once dc is born you will know what size to get and as for any that happen to be too small you could always donate to charity

rrreow Tue 12-Feb-13 14:48:50

My DS1 was born at 38 weeks and was in Tiny Newborn for about a week or two, then in Newborn for at least a month iirc. There was no way he could've skipped the Newborn size, but in hindsight we could've done without the Tiny clothes (it's just because stuff looks bigger before it's been washed!).

It probably really depends on the size of your baby, but it's definitely worth buying a pack of Newborn size and then if your baby turns out to be small, you can buy some more at that point (order online if you're not able to go out).

rainand Tue 12-Feb-13 12:38:09

Thanks everyone! smile Looks like I'll get a few newborn sleepsuits etc but early newborn may be too small.

flubba Tue 12-Feb-13 07:00:16

Don't discount all the presents you WILL get from anyone and everyone, especially as it's your first - and they tend to be clothes (in my experience). Be warned though, this doesn't continue with your 2nd or 3rd babies... grin

FWIW, none of my babies fitted the 'early newborn' (i.e up to 7lbs) clothes at all, and my fat chunker of a 3rd baby didn't even fit into the 0-3m clothes!!!!! blush grin

zcos Tue 12-Feb-13 06:49:35

my 10 week baby is still in newborn just fits in 0-3 but only in a few brands (eg. Tesco) ...she was 6 12 born and about 11 now (10 12- a week ago). She is following the average baby.
I thought (according to sonographer) she was going to be a big baby so had lots of 0-3 not so much new baby so had relatives do rushing around. if you can get a bundle for £5 I would say go for it ... you can always sell them on?

ilovecolinfirth Tue 12-Feb-13 06:29:00

I'd just get one set of new born...I only had 0-3 with DS1 but got frustrated because his feet would keep coming out of the leg holes. Bought newborn for DS2 and I squeezed him in it for the first night before husband brought me the bigger stuff...he weighed over 10lb...never wore newborn again!

sleepyhead Tue 12-Feb-13 00:49:57

I've got a few "tiny baby" sized things that I borrowed from SIL when ds was born. He fitted newborn, but the legs were far too long and the tiny baby size was perfect for the first couple of weeks - I wouldn't bother buying any new, but they were nice to have.

We actually ran out of babygros in the hospital (first time parents incompetent with nappies blush) so I got dh to go and buy a pack - he came back with 0-3 and they were unusable until ds was at least 6 weeks, although they were from Primark which I think seems to be quite big.

Ds was on the 50th centile for length and weight, but was always a little bit behind on sizes, so you see you can't really tell one way or the other confused.

This one feels bigger (32 weeks and feeling ^full up^), although I've bugger all reason to think that!, so maybe we won't need the smaller stuff. Who knows?!

I'd probably go for newborn size, maybe get a pack of 0-3 because they'll fit into it eventually, and send dp to Tesco if you need to (with very detailed instructions... "how was I meant to know?" quoth dh. "I mean, he's 0, it said 0-3, you can't get smaller than 0")

noblegiraffe Mon 11-Feb-13 23:12:10

Early newborn sounds like it would be too small for most babies, I'd go for the newborn stuff. But buy a few 0-3 things too just in case you have a big baby, you'll be using them fairly soon anyway.

rainand Mon 11-Feb-13 22:57:57

*Thanks everyone! smile

Should I go for an early newborn bundle at £5 or a new born bundle at £20? Both have more than enough items in the bundle. *

TwitchyTail Mon 11-Feb-13 21:17:02

Make sure you check the maximum weight on the items, as "newborn" varies between shops. For example, M&S and Next "newborn" only goes up to 7 pounds 7 oz or so, while their "1 month" size goes up to 10 pounds - the equivalent of "newborn" in most other shops. I wouldn't bother with a "newborn" size that only goes up to 7.5 pounds so have bought "1 month" from these shops to start me off.

My 7lb 5oz DD didn't fit in newborn clothes as she was long and thin, so it isn't just a weight thing. We did know that she would be tall as we had a 36 week scan and her legs were really long and she was then 2 weeks overdue.

TripTheLightFanjotastic Mon 11-Feb-13 20:20:23

Yup, depends on the baby. My average size bump was hiding a 9 lb-er so never used my "newborn" baby grows, he was then 16lb at 5 weeks. Take one each of newborn and 0-3 size grows with you to the hospital just in case you have a fatty grin

ChunkyChicken Mon 11-Feb-13 19:49:43

It very much depends on the baby...

My DD was born at 6lb 5oz & grew quite slowly (9th centile) so started in small baby then newborn for a relatively long time, then 0-3 by maybe 4mo.

My DS is now 13wo & in size 3-6mths. He was born at 6lb 15oz so not hugely bigger & wore newborn to start with. He just grew quicker, putting on 1lb in just over a week & continued to grow at a quicker rate (50th centile).

Different brands tend to have slightly different cuts & sizes. For example, I've found Mothercare to be on the large side & Next to be on the smaller side.

If I were you, I'd get the £5 bundle & not much else (depending what's in it - a few babygros & bodysuits, plus maybe a hat & cardigan) are probably enough & wait until baby is born to see what size you need & if you get any presents. Hth.

samandkat Mon 11-Feb-13 19:33:05

Its not as mad as it looks sizes go in order premature newborn 0-3 month 3-6 month etc
Premature and newborn are two different sizes of there own i hop this helps

noblegiraffe Mon 11-Feb-13 19:30:45

Yes, you will need some clothes in newborn size, although some big babies might go straight into 0-3.

Don't get too many though, as babies tend to grow out of them in a few weeks.

rainand Mon 11-Feb-13 19:09:21

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me the sizes please?

I'm really not sure whether I should buy in newborn size or not, and until when the baby wears newborn size?

I've seen a bundle of early newborn size (which the lady said baby can wear until 9lb) - its for £5, I'm wondering whether its worthwhile my buying? Can the baby jump from that size to 0-3 months?

It's all rather confusing! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now