Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Heartburn misery :(

(18 Posts)
psamiad35 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:40:40

Hey all.
Ok so pregnancy no.3 (25wks gone) so u would've thought I'd be old hat at this by now! Have experienced heartburn the last 2 times too but not this severe this early. Antacids barely touch it. Everything i eat/drink makes it set off. Even drinking water sets it off now. Just wondered if anyone else has suffered like this and whether I just have to persevere or if I go to the drs is there anything extra he can give me to help?
Thanks in advance! smile
Sam

themindwonders Sun 10-Feb-13 21:44:54

i so could have wrote this post - the tums are my new bff
would go and see the dr and see if there is something, i got an appointment next week

Panzee Sun 10-Feb-13 21:46:04

i have ranitidine (zantac). It's great. Ask your doctor for a script.

psamiad35 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:44

Not just me then! Completely empathise with u, it's horrible. Dread going to bed as it then rises up my throat and just BURNS so much sad so queue tired n grumpy pregnant lady lol. Will see if I get a callback from the dr 2moz n see what he says. Hopefully there's something! I'll update and let u know smile xx

MrsMarigold Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:35

Ask your GP about omeprazole I was just like you, I took it twice a day and it was miraculous I could sleep again. Antacids were rubbish. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

psamiad35 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:53

Oooooh yes have heard of Zantac now you've mentioned it. Think they gave me some at he hosp during my 1st pregnancy when I went in overnight for something else. Thanks smile xx

psamiad35 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:51:45

And have heard of Omeprazole too just didnt realise that's what it was for! Thanks also smile xx

gwenniebee Sun 10-Feb-13 21:54:34

I had exactly as you describe, even water would set it off, it used to make me sick in the night. I used to sleep with two pillows just to try and raise my upper body a bit.

My gp didn't suggest anything other than gaviscon, but I had it in bottles the size of which made me think of George's Marvellous Medicine and got through one a week - took no notice at all of the recommended dosage!

My baby hardly had any hair either - everyone promised me a full headful!

Hope it eases for you.

psamiad35 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:05:25

I've never been able to stomach Gaviscon for some reason, think its the texture. So relying on orange flavour Rennie tablets as they seem to be the only thing that touches on it. I haven't eaten yet tonight as its so bad. Just downed some more Rennie but hasn't helped sad really don't like the idea of being told they can't give me anything! Must have been awful for you, hope you didn't have to much of your pregnancy left at the time! Xx

chickenfactory Sun 10-Feb-13 22:52:46

Im 25 weeks as well and cannot sleep on my right side- instant heartburn. I've got Rennies and gaviscon stashed everywhere, its worse if I go more than an hour without snacking.

I got ranitidine tablets and gastrocote liquid from the GP. It was brilliant to start with, but unfortunately I think the body develops a tolerance to it after a while as it has stopped working. I'm getting a bit desperate to be honest as my oesophagus is so damaged blood just bubbles up sad

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 11-Feb-13 08:25:40

yep - get Ranitidine from doctors - solved mine and I couldnt keep a thing down.

CackleALot Mon 11-Feb-13 16:31:38

Another fan of Omeprazole here! One capsule a day and absolutely no heartburn! grin

Startail Mon 11-Feb-13 16:44:05

I ended up with big stacks of magazines under the top legs of my bed so it sloped slightly.

PG heartburn is the pits.

DangerMousey Mon 11-Feb-13 21:16:52

GP prescribed me Omeprazole at about 35 weeks, after I had been suffering for about 10 weeks and trying to make do with just gaviscon and rennies. Changed my life!! If i ever have a baby again, I would deffo get the Dr to prescribe it earlier next time. Why suffer?!

birdofthenorth Mon 11-Feb-13 22:19:06

Better pillows! Was suffering badly til DH bought us big new fluffy pillows, barely effected at night now!

Livened Mon 11-Feb-13 22:28:39

Just to say I had horrendous heartburn with my first. I was downing gaviscon about 3 times per night. It never really went, but the day my DS was born, it vanished!!! Never felt such bliss!! Also enjoyed not needing to pee 5 times a night too ;-) good luck x

katiecubs Mon 11-Feb-13 23:05:09

Get Ranitidine (or Omep - think its the same sort if thing) it will become your new best friend.

I could hardly sleep due to the same problems you have and am now totally fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now