Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Is sex safe??

(5 Posts)
MadameJ Sat 09-Feb-13 17:31:43

At my 20 week scan they said I have an anterior placenta and the sonographer wasn't overly sure how low it was. I am having another scan in a few weeks but in the meantime was wondering if it would be ok to have sex, nothing was said at the time but a friend has since said she was told it was potentially quite dangerous. Any ideas ladies?

Greywacke Sun 10-Feb-13 06:08:25

They would usually tell you if it isn't safe. I had a low lying placenta but it was fine, nothing was said about no sex.

Do you have a midwife appointment anytime soon? For peace of mind you could check with them.

3rdtimelucky73 Sun 10-Feb-13 17:13:12

All the advice seems to say that sex is safe unless you are advised otherwise.

But call your midwife to check if your unsure.

I too have an anterior placenta and haven't been abstaining.... x (26+5)

StuckOnARollercoaster Sun 10-Feb-13 17:32:52

Not sure why it should matter at this stage - I have an anterior placenta, am 23 weeks and still enjoying regular sex, although we have had to stop some positions due to comfort and bump position.
(The only thing I've come across is that if you have placenta previa you are more likely to be told to ease up on everything not just sex as you get closer to due date)

GingerDoodle Sun 10-Feb-13 20:42:46

Unless there is a medical reason its fine! I was bonking up until I went into labour at 39 weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now