Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Lemon eucalyptus oil - safe alternative to deet?

(11 Posts)

Does anyone know if lemon eucalyptus oil in safe in pg? I'm going to Kerala in 2 weeks for 2 weeks and will be 17 weeks pg. There is no Malaria and a v v v low risk of dengue but I'd like a safe repellant to be safe. Quick google suggested this was ok...?

TheBeanAndTheBee Thu 07-Feb-13 21:50:45

I don't know, sorry, but I used neals yard citronella spray when I was away and pregnant. Worked well for me, if that helps?!

helloitsme Thu 07-Feb-13 23:30:16

i used to live in south india (and had a baby there) and always found that mosiguard was the best natural one. you have to apply it a little more often than deet, but totally safe and always effective for me :-)

Thanks ladies! hello is it readily available out there?
I'm getting a lot of flak from people about going to India on hols while PG so it's great to know I'm not the only one who's gone there while PG (tho I'm hoping to come home before DC makes an appearance) ;-)

Missingthemincepies Fri 08-Feb-13 07:06:57

Mosiguard supposed to be good. I spent ages researching the best non-deet stuff for a holiday in my last pregnancy. Incognito came up far and away the best researched. Fair few fakes around on amazon etc so best to get from company direct.

You do need to bear in mind that pregnant women are like nectar to mossies, so you may get bitten anyway!

Have a great trip.

Missingthemincepies Fri 08-Feb-13 07:08:10

My DHs big tip for India BTW is to go veggie for the trip. Much less likely to get food poisoning.
Mosiguard easy to get from amazon.

Thanks Missing. I'll get online and order later today :-)
Agree on the veggie plan, along with eating where the locals eat! wink
Thanks again x

DeDevilTail Fri 08-Feb-13 07:33:31

I'll second Mosiguard.

helloitsme Fri 08-Feb-13 08:52:56

Remembering, it is not possible to get mosiguard in India, in fact, all of the local insect repellants are either suspect (ie full of chemicals) or ineffective, even if you can find a natural one. I lived there for many years so I speak from experience!
Regarding the food, I think you a right to go vegetarian, and only eat where the locals eat if it looks clean and nice. Beware, some of the cheaper locals places are OK for locals, but foreigners just don't have the same immunity so be careful. And please avoid fried rice smile

Rache1S Fri 08-Feb-13 09:14:28

I wasn't pregnant but have used Incognito several times in tropical locations without a single bite.

Nicky1306 Fri 08-Feb-13 10:39:15

When we went away in August I used the same repellant as DD which was a deet free one.........sorry cant remember the name , it was very good just has to be applied more frequently than the deet varieties. Enjoy your holiday smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now