Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

23weeks, why am I hungry all the time?

(17 Posts)
bogwoppitinatree Mon 11-Feb-13 16:25:21

Absolutely in the same boat and was from about 21 weeks (24 now). My boyfriend keeps getting really frustrated as he cooks lovely meals and I only eat half of it as I have been grazing all day. Then want something else half an hour after plates have been cleared away smile Was doing so so well and even starting to contemplate how healthy I would be by the time baby came - that was counting my chickens smile

tinkytoes Mon 11-Feb-13 14:07:53

Me too! I started constantly snacking all morning since week 20 (currently week 24). The more I eat, the hungrier I get and that's when my bump grew like mad too. It's starting to be a bit more manageable now and didn't need to eat as much for dinner. Hopefully yours will slow down too!

CareerGirl01 Wed 06-Feb-13 19:03:00

Just make sure you try and eat healthy stuff I guess. I've noticed that my bump has suddenly expanded since week 23, am 27 weeks tomorrow. Put it down to a growth spurt!!!

MissKGF Wed 06-Feb-13 18:48:23

So far today I've done really well! After reading your advice (much appreciated, thanks) & talking to friends I decided that I should record what I am eating & prepare healthy snacks to "graze" on. I am not really the junk food type but I felt it could have headed that way after a few days of over eating. So healthy alternatives are keeping me out of the biscuit box & so far so good smile long may it last!

Make sure you don't eat shite though. I had this and put on 5 stone on top of the baby/placenta etc blush. I NEEDED sugar, wish I had stopped myself though as 7 months on, I still fit none of my pre pg clothes sad.

StuckOnARollercoaster Wed 06-Feb-13 09:50:46

I thought I was doing fairly well with regards to food during this pregnancy and then this week (22 weeks) its hit me. I normally favour savoury and only need the occasional snack but suddenly I want sweet things...
So today I've had 2 slices of brown bread toast with butter at 7, my supposed mid morning snack of small portion of muesli and yoghurt was devoured as soon as I got into work at 8.30 and I've just polished off a small tablet of plain chocolate at 9.45. God knows how I'll make it to lunch wink

Persuasion Tue 05-Feb-13 21:01:55

Me too. 19 weeks, and constantly starving. I think it's pretty normal, from what I've heard. I'm trying to replace less healthy things with more healthy things eg rice cakes, fruit, so I at least feel I'm giving baby some good nutrition.

MissKGF Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:04

Well.... I am having a boy smile so that could be true! Maybe am
Over thinking then, might be just a natural thing but going from normal to the ultimate grazer is quite annoying. Plus I didn't have this with my first pregnancy... ah well looks like am just going to have to relax and enjoy it then smile

chickenfactory Tue 05-Feb-13 20:58:04

I've eaten my cereal at 4am more than once recently and I'm 24weeks, bump has got bigger in last week so I'd be inclined to go with the growth spurt plus I lost weight in first few months so no doubt laying fat stores as well.

DontmindifIdo Tue 05-Feb-13 20:56:17

you are hungry because you are pregnant. Simple really. Get something like a selection of dried fruit/nuts etc so that you can snack on no-rubbish stuff. Make sure you're getting lots of protein in your diet.

One of the old midwives tales is that if you can't stop eating (I'm in the same boat too!) then you're expecting a boy!! Lol will let you know in 5 weeks if its true or not smile

Flisspaps Tue 05-Feb-13 20:19:15

for after the birth, that should be!

Flisspaps Tue 05-Feb-13 20:18:59

Probably because you're growing an extra person - a whole person - and your body is trying to lay down fat stores for before the birth.

If you're hungry, eat smile

Quilty Tue 05-Feb-13 20:13:54

Maybe baby is having a growth spurt? I'm 21weeks and quite often end up eating my sandwiches by 11am at work as I'm too hungry to wait for lunch, and still end something else at lunch time as well. I think I'm making up for the fact that I could barely eat anything until 14 weeks!

OhIWishThereWasABook Tue 05-Feb-13 20:12:51

Are you sure it's not just a winter thing, I'm def not pg but can't stop munching. Insulation, I think!

Shaiandbump Tue 05-Feb-13 20:09:33

I can't help but your not alone I'm 25 weeks and yesterday I
Got up in the middle of night .. Starving . Made myself a tuna and coleslaw sandwich with crisps and juice lol it's becoming a regular habit now tho .. O well... We are allowed... We're pregnant.

MissKGF Tue 05-Feb-13 19:42:18

So since about 21 weeks, I am hungry all the time! I snack constantly, can't seem to get satisfied/filled. Why is this considering I ate pretty healthy before hand and only ate my 3 meals a day. I am not having cravings, just want to eat all the time...... help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now