Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

just patted neighbour's dog and then ate lunch without remembering to wash my hands...

(19 Posts)
zcos Fri 08-Feb-13 23:22:21

you can get toxoplasmosis from dogs aswell as cats but its very rare ... and its in dog faeces so not likely to get any toxins just from a pat.

CrumbyCrumbs Wed 06-Feb-13 13:38:34

I you had dog poo on your hand then ate something, I would be worried hehe but don't worry about it honestly, you will be fine! I have a labrador, I'm constantly stroking her and she's always licking my hands and I rarely ever wash my hands afterwards (I'm currently 24 weeks pg) so you will be fine smile

If it was a stray dog who hadn't had its injections then I might have washed my hands, but pets have usually always had their jabs when they're a puppy and so don't tend to carry dangerous diseases smile

WeeS Tue 05-Feb-13 21:55:26

I kiss my dogs on the face every day Im sure you'll be fine smile

MrsDeVere Tue 05-Feb-13 18:54:59

Cat poo can carry toxiplasmosis. This can cause abnormalities in the baby.
Pregnant sheep can carry the thing that causes miscarriage.

I am not aware of any doggie things that are dangerous to pregnant women. Well apart from Rabies, and I don't think we need worry about that smile

WhichIsBest Tue 05-Feb-13 17:44:28

I think it's pregnant sheep you have to avoid for some reason, and cat poo?

MrsDeVere Tue 05-Feb-13 17:36:53

You will be FINE.

Baby is almost fully grown so even if you got a bug you it would be highly unlikely to cause any harm.

The chances of you getting a bug are minuscule.

I am assuming you are worried about E.coli? The petting zoo thing is also about a particular nasty that can cause miscarriage and is carried by sheep (and maybe other animals). Dogs don't carry that.
<disclaimer, I am not a doctor so am happy to be corrected and soundly told off).

But I have five kids and have not been dogless since 1986 grin

Oreocrumbs Tue 05-Feb-13 17:30:46

I'm another dog owner who doesn't alway s wash her hands. DD turned out just fine apart from the fur and tail.

I have a dopey gorgeous black lab who I pet frequently without washing my hands after!! Have no fear you and baby are fine smile

looloo13 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:27:09

oh and this is my 4th child and others are fine x

looloo13 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:26:00

i have 4 dogs, 2 horses, chickens and parrot, i also work on livery yard. the only animals that can cause problems are sheep when lambing and cat poo x

TinkyPeet Tue 05-Feb-13 16:23:32

You're fine, I have a dog (im 16wks) and she basically sleeps on my head (good job she's little!) I don't wash my hands every time I touch her, she's in the house with me 95% of the day so whatever germies are near her are also already near me and the kids, and if I washed my hands every time I went near the kids I think I would give them a complex!
I trust that by your worries, that this pooch was clean and cared for, not just rolled in something yucky and covered in insects! So yeah you're fine smile
Just don't go licking any wild cats or sheep or anything smile xx

weeblueberry Tue 05-Feb-13 15:59:59

I think you'll be fine. I don't wash my hands every time I pet/play with my cats either and they're probably at more risk of giving me something. Mind you they're pampered house cats so wouldn't know a germ if it smacked them about the face...

catsrus Tue 05-Feb-13 15:51:05

I can confidently state that I doubt I ever washed my hands after stroking my dog during the pregnancy years smile all dcs now healthy adults despite helping themselves to food from the dogs bowl on more than one occasion

MrsMcEnroe Tue 05-Feb-13 15:48:23

I have Labradors and I rarely wash my hands after stroking them blush and both my DCs were born healthy so try not to worry!

emeraldgirl1 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:47:02

Thanks everyone!!
Nope, wasn't anywhere near his bum, thank God... smile
TwitchyTail I'm sure you're right, there must be loads of pg women who have dogs and aren't always washing hands every 5 mins...

TwitchyTail Tue 05-Feb-13 15:44:56

No, you're fine. Don't think there are any labrador-specific teratogens grin Farm animals and young outdoor cats - I'd be a bit more cautious with hand-washing but even then the risk is low. Lots of pregnant women have dogs and I highly doubt they religiously wash their hands before eating/touching their mouth etc. or maybe they do and I'm just a dirty slattern

Mixxy Tue 05-Feb-13 15:44:29

Unless you were patting his bum I wouldn't freak out over it.

Pipsytwos Tue 05-Feb-13 15:42:32

I wouldn't worry at all about it, you and baby will be fine. Your body will sort out the germs and baby won't be affected. These things happen all the time! grin hope you're ok and not freaking out! smile

emeraldgirl1 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:38:57

... which was stupid of me. Apart from stupidly ignoring basic hygiene requirements for even non-pregnant people, is it OK to have done this (am 34 weeks)? Not that I'd do it again deliberately of course!! But is there a particular danger when you're pg? I remember going to a zoo with nephew when 15 weeks pg and not being able to go into the animal-petting zone to stroke donkeys, rabbits etc. Have I effed up by stroking a labrador???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now