Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Two sweeps at 41 weeks still no baby!

(24 Posts)
Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:09:21

So sick of my life right now and everyone asking 'so has the baby arrived yet!' So annoying, everyone is driving me absolutely crazy that I have decided not to reply to a single phone call, text message or email.

I had a sweep on Saturday then had strong menstrual cramps that lasted all night but was told that it was false labour. Then on Monday morning I lost my mucus plus (yuk sorry tmi) then I decided to go into hospital to have another sweep (on the same day Monday). Again later on I lost more mucus plug and started having strong menstrual cramps.

The midwife said that I am dilated between 2-3 and my cervix is favourable and it's just a case of waiting. I'm soo tired and sick of waiting that I don't think that the baby wants to come out. I am booked in to be induced on Saturday sad really dont want to be induced.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I think I'm going to go on a long walk and hike up and down the stairs tonight so desperate!

Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:09:39

sad

Missingthemincepies Tue 05-Feb-13 15:34:50

Oh I remember that feeling sooooo well. 2 sweeps that did nothing and induction looming.
DS born at 40+13 without induction. 2 days non painful prelabour. 5.5 hours proper labour. You still have time!

If you're already 2-3 you've to a great chance of things kicking off soon. Get bouncing on the birth ball, long walk, up and down the stairs. Keep active. Anxiety can stop things happening to so try to relax if you can and know that this time next week you'll be cuddling your baby.
I got so fed up with the texts I started texting back, "no" and nothing else!!

I'm 30+4 with dc2 and would actually love to be in your shoes, and never thought I'd say that!

Very best of luck

Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:49:12

Thanks for your response missingthemincepies

I'm on the ball now, I'm going to stay on it for as long as I can.

Are there certain movements I should be doing on the ball. At the moment I'm just bouncing in and down whilst watching tv.

X

Missingthemincepies Tue 05-Feb-13 15:58:05

Just bounce and don't be shy about it! Also doing a kind of hula movement rocking your hips round is good for positioning of baby, as is kneeling on the floor with arms/chest over the ball and rock forwards and backwards or arching back up and down.
You WILL have a baby soon. So exciting!

NAR4 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:00:50

Bouncing and circling the hips are both meant to be good. My midwife told me in my last pregnancy that the hula hoop on the Wii fit is very good. Sex is also meant to be good, but stay laying down for about 20 minutes after to keep sperm on your cervix. Not what you feel like I'm sure but the sperm is meant to help start labour as can an orgasm.

Good luck, but either way it isn't much longer now.

melliebobs Tue 05-Feb-13 16:06:27

Yes. 2 failed sweeps (failed as in they couldn't physically do them) at 41+2 and 41+6. Had the mos painful sweep known to mankind at 42+1.

Labour started at 42+3 grin

Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:10:26

Thanks going to do all the above today without fail!

Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:12:11

Mellibobs - I have decided to go for the extra sweep tomorrow - I have a feeling it's going to really hurt as my stomach is super sensitive at the moment sad

Convert Tue 05-Feb-13 16:16:43

Try freezing cold drinks. My midwife said that it would make the baby move lots and that would help things along. I went for a walk around a big shopping centre and had a giant milkshake at 40 +6 and had dd that night. Good luck!

Convert Tue 05-Feb-13 16:19:03

I'd had two sweeps by then too. Technically three as the midwife did one at 40+4 and asked if I would mind the student having a go too. By that point I would have let the receptionist stick her hand up my fanjo if it had got the baby out.

RoxyLady Tue 05-Feb-13 16:26:05

I was in exact same situation as you. Im afraid to say but if two sweeps havent done anything i doubt another would. I ended up havin 8 in all and nothing happened.
I would wait for induction date if I was you.

melliebobs Tue 05-Feb-13 17:23:51

Awwww Roxy that's a bit 'glass half empty' when I had my last sweep at 42+1 they could 'only just do it' cos my cervix wasn't whatever it's supposed to be enough. That's why it hurt like hell! But 2 days later 2 fingers up to my induction appointment cos I turned up to it in labour anyway. Things can happen!

Flisspaps Tue 05-Feb-13 17:32:14

Bwalker12 If you don't want to be induced, you can decline (but this should have been explained to you when the MW booked your induction) and leave things a bit longer and have expectant management.

And if anyone else texts/emails/facebooks - send them this link:

www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com

Bwalker12 Tue 05-Feb-13 17:46:24

Thanks for your messages all. I have decided to go for the sweep tomorrow I know it's going to hurt like hell as my last one did. I'm not banking on it working as I'm in such a negative mood about everything.

Still on the birthing ball and burning some calories! Really going for it now - any more suggestions please fire them through.

Thanks for your support smile

Missingthemincepies Tue 05-Feb-13 20:35:12

Clary sage supposed to help. May be worth trying the radox bath soak. Can't hurt and I know I'd have tried anything at that stage (didn't know about this one then or would have given it a go!).

Don't forget to try to get a good sleep too.

Keep bouncing....!

melliebobs Wed 06-Feb-13 13:04:57

Even if u have an induction appointment u can cancel! I didn't go to mine (the first one) and through delivery was known as "the lady who didn't turn up for her induction" blush how bloody rude?!

Missingthemincepies Wed 06-Feb-13 13:08:32

How did the sweep go OP?

Bwalker12 Wed 06-Feb-13 19:29:49

The sweep went better than I thought. It was very uncomfortable and not as painful as Mondays sweep.

Midwife said that I am 3cms dilated and nearly fully effaced (which I think means that my cervix has nearly thinned out?). If I don't go into labour before Saturday then the midwife said that they will break my waters and go from there, I really don't want to be put inthe drip sad oh well see what they say on Saturday.

Thanks for your message - will send an update smile

Missingthemincepies Wed 06-Feb-13 20:10:54

All sounds very positive. I'd be v surprised if you're not in labour by Saturday. But if not you can always ask to delay induction, depends how you feel. Remember lots of units around the country don't induce til 40+14 anyway - mine don't thank goodness otherwise I'd have been induced.

Back on that birth ball!!

Bwalker12 Thu 07-Feb-13 07:19:13

Thanks missingthemincepies

Been up very early this morning, couldn't sleep and sat on the birthing ball for a few hours. Think I'm going to be on it all day!

Don't think this sweep is going to work, had a few cramps last night and now nothing sad oh well out of my hands now

Missingthemincepies Thu 07-Feb-13 07:32:34

There's still plenty of time before induction looms. I know I was so anxious to avoid induction so I do understand.

Maybe try going out for lunch somewhere if its possible? Sod's law will kick in and your contractions will start when you're mid meal!

Have a nap later if nothing happens. Either way it'll make the next few days easier if you're not exhausted.

Good luck. Sending lots of "get that baby out" vibes!

Bwalker12 Thu 07-Feb-13 11:27:33

Yeah that's a god idea! My sister is taking me out later.

I have also bought some clary sage oil and using that too today. Exercising on the ball like mad at the mo. Sister is giving me strange looks ha! I'm bouncing that much I'm all over the place !

Missingthemincepies Sat 09-Feb-13 10:19:48

Good luck with the induction today OP, unless you've been lucky in the meantime. I'm sure it will go well, and you'll be having new baby cuddles soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now