Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Poached egg

(12 Posts)
bogwoppitinatree Sat 02-Feb-13 19:02:32

It is a legal requirement for the catering industry to use Lion Stamped so don't worry smile

Kelerina Sat 02-Feb-13 18:37:48

I had two this morning, and have eaten them all the way through my pregnancy (am now 36 wks). I have no issue with runny eggs whatsoever. No point in having them otherwise.......

TheCountessOlenska Sat 02-Feb-13 17:56:48

Poached eggs are cooked aren't they? confused

Even if it was raw you'd be ok, I'm sure they would use lion marked eggs in a chain.

I keep sneaking spoons of raw cake mix and I'm ok so far smile

Christelle2207 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:31:38

I had a panic the other day- in France had a chocolate mousse and realised after scoffing the lot that it is of course made with RAW egg! Googled to death and the risk of salmonella is tiny in uk (slightly higher in france). Even if you do get salmonella risk to baby is pretty much unproven. I actually had salmonella several years ago and believe me you will know if you have it. Assuming you're still well tomorrow you have absolutely nothing to be worried about, after all who said a poached egg isn't cooked? I would be astonished if a British restaurant wasn't being careful with eggs, imagine the pr disaster if people did get ill!

TwitchyTail Sat 02-Feb-13 17:09:47

I've lost count of the number of poached and runny fried eggs I've eaten while pregnant and even raw ones if you count licking the cake batter from the bowl

Remember that this country has extremely stringent food safety regulations. You'll be absolutely fine!

weeblueberry Sat 02-Feb-13 16:56:18

My darling please don't worry about it. It's very very unlikely that a restaurant won't use Lion stamped eggs. Keep an eye on yourself and if you've still not got any salmonella symptoms in 24 hours it sounds like you'll be absolutely fine smile

FoofFighter Sat 02-Feb-13 14:57:43

I eat runny eggs too, I just don't buy the farm shop/farmer's market ones as they aren't Lion marked. A chain restaurant will have Lion eggs, if you are stressing though just ring and ask them.

You'll be just fine smile

Kilkers Sat 02-Feb-13 14:18:28

Goodness if the egg was from a big restaurant chain then I think you can be sure it was Lion stamped, they wouldn't take the risk. Don't worry about it, there's no way I'm giving up my fave boiled eggs and soldiers! I just won't be buying eggs from anyone who sells them from their garden gate anymore!

GoodnessMeNoGinInTheHouse Sat 02-Feb-13 13:49:04

Oh dear. I didn't even buy the egg or cook it myself. It was a in a breakfast bought at the 'Leon' chain. I have done something awful haven't I...

LazyMachine - it was delicious but now not worth the worrying...

LazyMachine Sat 02-Feb-13 13:43:49

Poached eggs...are delicious (is what I thought the rest of your post should say!)

If you bought your eggs at a shop then they're lion marked (little red stamp on every egg), which means the chickens have been vaccinated.
Lion-marked eggs are 100% fine to eat during pregnancy - poached, runny, scrambled, fried, whatever way you want 'em.

Ellypoo Sat 02-Feb-13 13:38:51

If it was a lion stamped egg, it will be absolutely fine - chickens/eggs in the UK are vaccinated against salmonella. As long as the white is properly cooked, it will be fine.

GoodnessMeNoGinInTheHouse Sat 02-Feb-13 13:34:25

I am 11weeks pregnant. I ate a poached egg this morning completely forgetting it is on the do not eat when pregnant list...have I done something very silly?Now worrying...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now