Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pregnant runners?

(17 Posts)
badguider Sat 02-Feb-13 13:34:08

Any pregnant runners out there?
I've got the fabulous runners world guide to running in pregnancy book but just wondered if there was anybody out there to share experiences/ support?

I'm only 8+3 but have shockingly bad nausea which is relieved by gentle jogging but it's sooooo hard to make myself go out there in the first place.

Hoping desperately to keep it going till next trimester...

Apparentlychilled Sat 02-Feb-13 13:42:33

I'm not pregnant at the mo but ran pregnant with both DC. Mainly in gym rather than "real" running. The main thin I struggled w was tiredness (and feeling irritated by my slow speed as a result). I'd say try to book in times to run in your head but don't worry too much if it's harder than you expect. I ran till about 15 weeks w DD (increasingly slowly) and maybe till 10 weeks w DS and then opted for step or static bike.

Good luck!

lljkk Sat 02-Feb-13 13:55:24

I did with 2 of mine, up to 39 weeks both times. Consultants highly approved. I expect the bible you've got will say all you need to know.

badguider Sat 02-Feb-13 14:57:21

Thanks.

I need the fresh air and outdoorsness of running so don't fancy the gym as a replacement - think i'll probably drop from running to walking if i can't keep up outdoors running.

Have just been for a slightly pukey run/walk and the good news is that it spurred my bowels into action which was long overdue.

I don't mind going slow.. have never been all that speedy anyway and as long as i'm outdoors moving i don't mind what the pace is.

I think for non runners the idea that you might be feeling exhausted but that a run will make you feel better is hard to understand - but it is true, so long as you take it gently.

badguider Sat 02-Feb-13 14:59:12

chilled - can i ask what it was that made you stop each time? was it tiredness or was it the bump appearing? or something else?
i'm hoping (maybe naively) that i might feel less tired in a few weeks time and hope to enjoy a bit more jogging between end of nausea (fingers crossed) and bump getting cumbersome.

dinkystinky Sat 02-Feb-13 14:59:34

There are a few runners on my due in July thread - I ran while pregnant with DS2 until around 12 weeks then stopped as it didnt feel comfortable. I did continue exercising through out my pregnancy with DS2 - and am doing so in this pregnancy - and so long as you listen to your body and exercise so you feel energised rather than exhausted it will all be fine.

I stopped running fairly early on - wish I could have kept it up, but I had bleeding after training, so it obviously wasn't the right exercise for me. I envy those ladies who have the option - so if you feel well and it is working for you, go for it.

I'm impressed anyone can keep going to 39 weeks though - you must have a pelvic floor of steel lljkk. I'm 36 weeks, and walking up hill on a cold day is enough to set off braxton hicks and an urgent need to pee grin

OP if you are finding the enthusiasm for running tailing off, there are so many alternatives out there. I prefer to exercise outdoors, and have kept v fit despite not running. I probably have better over all muscle tone now, as rather than pounding streets exercising my legs I am exercising all of my body. My midwife told me I was the fittest healthiest client on her books last appointment... which I am horribly smug about given my geriatric age.

Christelle2207 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:21:57

Hiya, I'm 14 weeks and a runner and intend to run for as long as possilble, albeit slower than usual. I did a 10 mile race when 6 weeks (took it easy) and tbh have suffered with energy levels since though still run 3-5 miles regularly.
My bf did two half marathons when pg and kept running till 38 weeks. I won't be that dedicated but I think it's great if you can be.

pod3030 Sat 02-Feb-13 17:33:07

hiya, i ran throughout my pregnancy, i wore a very supportive proper sports bump-band, and ran for the enjoyment, never to push myself (you are advised not to overheat).
once the nausea of the first trimester goes with luck the middle of pregnancy you can really enjoy and make the most of it, then the last trimester towards the end just be gentle with yourself.
i had a very quick labour which i put down to being so fit. baby was also super healthy and had great head control from early on (probably from being jiggled around for nine months!)
i advise wearing three sports bras, and i used blister plasters on my nips in the first month when they were painful. Listen to your body and go with your instincts.

gertrudestein Sat 02-Feb-13 18:47:34

Yes! I am a runner. I love it. Currently 18 wks with first pg and although I haven't been able to go out much in the snow, I went for a run last week and am looking forward to carrying on. I have realised I really need to slow down and fun much less far, but the benefits of being outside in the fresh air make it a better mood enhancer than just going to the gym.

I definitely felt a lot better after the first trimester, but still very tired and not capable of my normal runs at all. I am currently doing one run a week, lots of walking, and a couple of very gentle gym sessions.

I hope to keep it up for as long as possible!

pod where did you get your support band from?

Apparentlychilled Sat 02-Feb-13 19:30:29

badguider sorry or tardy reply- been out w DC. I foun my bump hurt after a while (it felt a bit like running w/o a sports bra, iykwim) but Simeon up thread mentioned a bump band, which I hadn't heard of (so I just kin of held my bump while running, which didn't really work).

Helspopje Sun 03-Feb-13 14:50:38

I stopped for similar reasons - too much bump wobble

Called it quits at 28 wks in preg 1, 14 in preg 2 and 18 in preg 3.
SPD kicked in shortly afterwards in pregs 1 and 3 so think that if there is ever preg 4, I may stick to turbo training (did to delivery without problem) and give running a miss.

the running group near me suggests fast walking from 2nd trimester (http://www.runningmummies.com/)

Helspopje Sun 03-Feb-13 14:51:19

btw - second the quick labour - first one was 45 mins

badguider Sun 03-Feb-13 15:40:11

Thanks everyone. It seems like the best bet is to just do it if it feels good and stop if it doesn't. I guess our bodies know and I've always been a 'tune in' runner rather than a 'block it out' one so I think I can respond to how I feel ok.

MoonF4ce Sun 03-Feb-13 17:13:48

Hi, I have been running right up till I was 26 weeks pregnant (just before Christmas). But have stopped now, one because of the snow/ice and two because I didn't like the 'pressure' feeling I was getting from bump when running. You really do have to take it slower, which I found hard because I am quite competitive and always push myself but found I was worn out each time. Now I'm taking brisk walks which is just as good exercise and it's lovely to be outside in the fresh air..... Although I do have running envy whenever I see runners now!!!

emmyloo2 Mon 04-Feb-13 03:27:20

I rang with my first pregnancy until around 15 weeks and with this one until 20 weeks. I stopped only because it was too hard on my pelvic floor. Fitness wise I felt fine but it was really damaging my pelvic floor which was already damaged after pregnancy and labour with the first.

So now I use the eclyptical (sp??) and bike at the gym and go to spin classes twice a week. I still feel really fit but I just make sure I am not in pain or pushing myself too much. I also do weights as well. I did the same with my first pregnancy and exercised literally until the day I went to the hospital to give birth. It makes it easier to get back into after the birth although again, I couldn't run for 2-3 months after because of the pelvic floor. It really takes a hammering through the birth process.

Best of luck!

emmyloo2 Mon 04-Feb-13 03:30:16

Also agree with pod - I think being active and fit really helps with labour. I had a long labour because I was induced but the midwives said me being fit really helped it being straightforward and I bounced right back afterwards. Of course I could be talking out my arse and there could be no correlation, but it certainly seemed to help me. I did lots of stretching and yoga as well which I think helped me in labour.

Of course, I should have had a terrible labour in any event - I think luck plays a huge role as well. We shall see how I go with labour with this pregnancy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now