Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cooking with wine during pregnancy

(15 Posts)
Bejeena Fri 01-Feb-13 10:44:38

So I have googled and most information I have read said it is fine.

What have you done personally? I want to make a seafood stew tonight and would normally put white wine in it.

I am 11+3 and have been following strictly no alcohol drinking and to be honest I could face the thought of drinking anyway, am being sick to much and I always associate that with booze!

But is cooking with a bit of wine ok? What have other pregnant ladies done?

Thanks in advance for opinions/advice!

PetiteRaleuse Fri 01-Feb-13 10:48:44

I didn't give it a second thought. I often cook with wine and continued to do so during my pregnancies.

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 01-Feb-13 10:50:03

I have cooked with wine, as long as you heat it thoroughly the alcohol burns away.

Flisspaps Fri 01-Feb-13 11:04:10

I cooked with wine during both of mine. Then again, I had a glass of raw wine on a Saturday night with both of them too.

Msbluesky32 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:06:38

Me too, I made a linguine the other day and used a small glass sized bottle of wine in it - Im sure its fine as the alcohol is burnt off in the cooking process

Whyriskit Fri 01-Feb-13 11:07:57

Currently 8+ weeks and have just made a lovely french onion soup with white wine and cognac. Don't think it's a problem!

LouiseD29 Fri 01-Feb-13 11:09:56

I'm a vegetarian and we had dinner at my FIL's house when I was about 7 weeks and, bless him, he tried out a new veggie recipe for my benefit that was swimming in red wine. I just got on with it! Haven't actually had any drinks myself but not been worried about a bit of booze in food. Think all the alcohol has burned off anyway. In fact, I'm thinking of doing a risotto tonight with white wine in it.

cassell Fri 01-Feb-13 11:09:57

Absolutely - have cooked with wine during both my pgs, most of the alcohol evaporates during cooking anyway especially with something slow cooked like a stew.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Feb-13 11:10:46

Wouldn't have occurred to me to stop using it.

Pascha Fri 01-Feb-13 11:12:59

I just carried on regardless. I don't think a glass of wine in a cooked meal is going to have any effect whatsoever on the pregnancy.

Bejeena Fri 01-Feb-13 11:22:25

OK lovely thanks, I had assumed that it was probably ok but you know what it is like sometimes a girl needs a bit of reassurance, no matter how easy the answer may be!

weeblueberry Fri 01-Feb-13 12:13:13

Yep I had a bit of a wobble about it too but ended up slothing some red into the spaghetti sauce. Tastes horrid without it. wink

FoofFighter Fri 01-Feb-13 14:40:05

grin @ raw wine hahahaha

Yes it's absolutely fine as the alcohol will evaporate leaving just the wine flavours. Enjoy!

TwitchyTail Fri 01-Feb-13 17:07:11

It's fine, the alcohol evaporates if you cook it properly. I don't drink alcohol at all (in pregnancy or otherwise) but am quite happy to eat it and it's never had the least effect on me grin

Springforward Fri 01-Feb-13 17:39:32

Yes, I still cook with wine even though I choose not to drink alcohol while pregnant. FWIW my mw thinks that the 1-2 units once or twice a week thing is fine after 1st trimester, so even if you didn't burn it all off I doubt you'd eat a unit's worth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now