Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Prescribed antibiotics again- why am I feeling so bad?

(4 Posts)
HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Feb-13 12:03:17

Ah good that you're on it already! It's tough though isn't it? You want to protect your baby whenever possible and knowing you're going to have more antibiotics must be worrying. Just try to keep yourself calm and get yourself better smile

Tweet2tweet Fri 01-Feb-13 11:55:18

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have been taking a probiotic oral supplement and cranberry extract supplement for the last 2 weeks. Will continue!

I just need to get over it and stop all my anxiety thoughts getting the better of me smile

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 01-Feb-13 09:51:16

Oh bless you. You're sick. Getting on top of the infection so you're well for growing your baby. I'm sure trimethoprim is safe in the third trimester.

Re the lady garden - I have found that witch hazel (dead cheap in Boots and definitely safe in pregnancy) has managed my irritations down stairs very effectively.

To try to keep on top of the UTIs, try having a glass of cranberry juice daily when the infection has settled (not convinced it works but as someone who has had lots of UTIs I think it's helped!). Make sure you pee regularly, especially after sex. Try having a probiotic a day as well which can help to redress the balance in the bacteria that thrush upsets.

It's not that many courses of antibiotics - I think I had 7 last year for all my urinary tract problems without any issues.

I hope you feel better soon. I prescribe plenty of rest, fluids and tv box sets! smile

Tweet2tweet Thu 31-Jan-13 21:07:05

I'm 29 wks pregnant with dc2 and visited GP today as feel like I'm swallowing glass, have thick yellow phlegm, aching body and abdominal pains. Also short of breath.

I have a UTI, respiratory infection, fever at 38 and am exhausted. Had another UTI, 3 months ago which I took trimethoprim for and had a respiratory infection over Xmas that I got an inhaler for.

Am now on a 7 day course of trimethoprim again and will need to take more pessary's. To date have taken 5 pessary's with this pregnancy and constantly have to use canesten every day.

Does all of this sound normal. I've been signed off work for 1 wk, first time I have ever been signed off. Just worried that this constant poor health and taking antibiotics may cause harm to the baby.

Also anxious as have been diagnosed with group b strep so need to go onto yet more anitibiotics when I go into labor. Will they even work after all this pill popping?

Sorry for long saga but any reassurance, knowledgeable folks out there who can share advice much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now