Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh B#gger it.... So - Advice on jobhunting whilst pregnant...

(10 Posts)
ReikiMummy Thu 31-Jan-13 18:15:24

Well, I knew this would happen one day, but not quite in the present circumstances.

Long story that I don't really want to go into at this moment in time, but now find myself working my notice period at work.

Currently 16+6.

Am (at the minute) the sole earner in the house too.

Can't retract my resignation (well, I could, but I won't - for details I won't go into here).

Anyone out there likely to hire anyone knowing they're pg????????

TwitchyTail Thu 31-Jan-13 18:20:31

There may well be, though you are unlikely to qualify for a maternity package if you only start work there now. Usually you have to have worked for an organisation for a certain amount of time before the 25th week of pregnancy (or similar) to qualify. The exception is if you can get a job with the same organisation (thinking of the NHS and continuous service here).

Temporary/bank type work would definitely be a possibility if your goal is just to stay employed while pregnant and earn money before the baby is born. If you can give us more details about your line of work and organisation someone can probably be more helpful smile

ReikiMummy Thu 31-Jan-13 18:37:28

Goal is to stay employed for as long as possible up to baby being born - and then will review after. Not worried about the maternity pay at the moment, just need a bit of extra breathing time as it were.

Have quite an ecclectic mix of skills.

Most of my career has either been in Quality Assurance, or as a PA.

Am also certified PRINCE 2 Project Management, although it has been difficult (nay - impossible) to get a job doing this since doing the qualification. (Usual conundrum - people want bods for jobs WITH experience rather than to get experience...)

Latest job was for a private medical company running a Mobile Phlebotomy Service. Although that wasn't the job I was originally employed to do... Managing staff from afar (@ 180 miles away), and also keeping all stakeholders and partners happy, for a service that turned over around £1.5m/year. (Mind you - could well 'tweak' this last role into project work on CV!)

I do bits of other things outside of the 9-5 job also, but they don't seem to be adding up to enough (at the moment) to replace the 9-5..... (A couple of music lessons, hypnotherapy sessions, some website setup/design, and also reiki (hence the username). Have been pushing these more since the new year and being unhappy @ work, but still not really increasing yet. (Not complaining - am grateful they are ticking over as they are!)

Just feeling a bit lost and a lot let down at the mo. (Let down by myself which is yeah.... anyway)

Just seems easier to head back to 'employed-dom' for a few months. Any advice would be grand, even just to know that there is hope for anyone employing someone who is expecting a little bundle of joy. smile

Had thought of temporary work, and was going to hit the agencies with tarted up CV come Monday am.

TwitchyTail Thu 31-Jan-13 18:48:49

OK, so you sound like you have a great range of skills that would be suited to during-pregnancy work (ie flexible temporary contracts and not manual labour!) At 16 + 6 you still have plenty of useful time (assuming no complications with the pregnancy) before the baby is born. Signing up to agencies would be the best start.

The issue with employing pregnant women isn't usually the fact that they are pregnant - more the implications for the employer in terms of having a new employee going off for an extended period of time and being obliged into maternity pay (yes, we all know that's illegal but it happens). None of this applies with temporary work so if that is your goal I doubt you'll have too much of a problem.

EwokStorageUnit Thu 31-Jan-13 19:17:17

Whereabouts are you? I'll sign up for some Reiki if you're close!

I second the idea of going and signing up with all your local agencies. Sure that with your skill set you'd be in work in no time.

Good luck xx

ReikiMummy Thu 31-Jan-13 23:05:45

Twitchy Tail and Ewok thank you for your replies. Given me a bit of a boost. I'll get my CV tarted up and out to agencies for Monday. smile thanks

Ewok sent you a pm. smile

katiecubs Thu 31-Jan-13 23:19:52

Just to say sorry you are in this situation - same happened to me in my last pregnancy.

I actually managed to find a few months contract work through a previous employer. Ask about and see if anyone (friends/colleagues) can help.

If the worst comes to the worst you can sign on for jobseekers and then get maternity allowance from 29 weeks I think. Good lunch! X

ReikiMummy Thu 31-Jan-13 23:22:04

Thanks Katiecubs thanks

babyradio Fri 01-Feb-13 00:08:29

I've got a temp job at the moment and gonna have to claim income support instead of maternity pay. I actually went to the job centre and I said to them when they told me I wasn't entitled to anything but JSA because I wasn't yet pregnant enough.. "but who will hire me!?" and they said for temp work you don't even have to tell them if you don't want to.

So as it happens I did some applications and managed to find something, I'm not established in any kind of career though so I can see how it would be a nightmare if you're already in quite a specific role and don't want to deviate too much.

ReikiMummy Fri 01-Feb-13 11:35:12

Hi Babyradio I really don't mind deviating!!!!

Will get CV out there over the weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now