Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Getting through the first trimester

(39 Posts)
SeriousStuff Thu 31-Jan-13 09:45:25

Hi all! I'm just moving over to the pregnancy pages as I got my BFP yesterday! My DH and I started TTC beginning of Jan so this has taken us by surprise a bit as we were expecting to be DTD for a good long while yet (DH obviously takes this as a reflection of his manliness, I just don't think my egg was that fussy!)

Anyway, after the initial shock, I'm now getting quite nervous about the next few weeks until our first scan. How did you all get through it without worrying too much that something might go wrong at this early stage? Any tips as to what to do/not to do. As we don't want to jinx it by planning too much, it means I can't distract myself with lists and shopping for cool baby stuff either...

And trying not to tell people...my sister is coming round later. She'll be the first person I've seen since I tested last night and I'm definitely not telling her but it's going to be difficult!

SeriousStuff Fri 08-Feb-13 01:23:43

Wow, anyone else here in their 1st trimester being hit out of the blue with tiredness like a frying pan to the face?! I'm finding it much easier to get up in the mornings for some reason but come 6pm, I have to have a nap which lasts until 8.30pm, sometimes 9pm. And it's very deep sleep also!

Thought to begin with that I was in a vicious circle because this might then mean I was going to bed much later but last couple of nights I've gone up earlier than usual and still suffer the same tiredness by early evening!

SeriousStuff Mon 11-Feb-13 11:50:56

Hi all! Just thought I'd share my latest experiences in case it helps anyone.

I woke up on Saturday feeling great, but an hour into my morning I started getting sharp pains in my shoulder. I left it a while but it persisted. Having read recently that shoulder pain can be a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy, I obviously started to worry. We managed to be seen in A&E extremely quickly and was tested for low blood sugar and gave an urine sample.

Apart form some white blood cells in my urine (which I understand is common in pregnancy), they didn't think there was anything wrong but to reassure me (and because we live quite a way from the hospital), the on-call 'baby scanner' (can't remember her job title!) gave us an early scan. As it's still early stages, they had to scan internally, and there it was, just a dark circle showing that everything is developing in the right place. I got very emotional, but happy emotions thankfully!

She did find quite a large cyst on my left ovary though, but again, apparently this is very common and they often disappear later in the pg. I thought I was 6 weeks on Saturday, but according to the measurements she took, I was only 5+2! So feels like a bit of a step back!

As I had this early scan, they've now booked me in for another one in 8 weeks, which I'm so pleased about as it means I don't have to wait for my 12 week scan to see the baby developing. Fingers crossed, all will be well!

Feeling very cold at the moment and was shivery last night, as if I was coming down with the flu!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Littlepeanutbump Mon 11-Feb-13 22:47:48

Hello everyone! I am too in my first trimester I think just reaching 6 weeks roughly, I am finding it extremely nerve racking and had a bit of a breakdown at the weekend sad I saw some pink blood and brown discharge and panicked, I have since been to the walk in centre and to my GP, the walk in centre simply took a urine sample and told
me my hcg levels are low which made me worry further :'( she said if I bleed heavily in the next 48 hours I may have miscarried, I spent most of the weekend crying! Saw a doctor today and my blood has been taken to check my hcg levels more accurately, I did about 5 home pregnancy tests all of which were positive, I am hoping I am just being a worry wort and extremely anxious, any tips to relax would be greatly appreciated! I'm finding google is just scaremongering me into reading into things which go wrong sad best of luck to everyone in their first trimester let's hope our 12 week scans arrive quicker than we feel at the moment x

SeriousStuff Tue 12-Feb-13 10:07:03

Hi Littlepeanutbump and congratulations on your pg! Did the spotting stop over the weekend? I've read on here about so many women who do get what you describe and go on to have a full term pg. It's hard not to worry though, isn't it? As at this stage, you just have to trust that everything's developing as it should. I remember reading somewhere that in the first trimester, if you have a mc, it's usually down to something you couldn't have controlled e.g. a chemical reason why the foetus wouldn't develop further rather than anything physical you may have done.

My rule at the moment is, if there isn't a heavy flow of bright red blood, then I'm not allowed to worry about it! Try and plan things over the next 6 weeks - we're visiting my in-laws at the moment and catching up with family, having meals out, going to the cinema...and it does help time go quicker. Maybe plan one thing a week e.g. go out for a nice meal one week, meet up with friends another. Having these milestones will help keep you marginally sane! Good luck and do let us know how you get on!

Kelly1814 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:27:00

Hello everyone!

I'm an expat living away from the UK and far from friends and family so it's great to be able to come on here for info support, thanks ladies smile

I've just found out I'm pregnant too - 6 weeks today. We started trying in January so I also thought I would have a much, much longer wait (been on the pill for 20 years prior) so it's all a bit of a shock - albeit a nice one smile

If it wasn't for my ridiculously painful boobs, I wouldn't know I was pregnant. I'm tired in the evenings but as I work long hours that's nothing new.

Excited and terrified in equal measure about the next 8 months - and beyond!

SeriousStuff Tue 12-Feb-13 18:03:06

Congratulations Kelly1814 !! How exciting!

I just downloaded a Kegel exercises app. I'm only just managing to do them once a day at the moment and think I need to step it up. Just done 2 from it and I love it. Would highly recommend it - makes it less of a chore!

HotSoupDumpling Tue 12-Feb-13 18:08:34

seriousstuff: "Wow, anyone else here in their 1st trimester being hit out of the blue with tiredness like a frying pan to the face"

Yes, me, definitely! Good description!

SeriousStuff Tue 12-Feb-13 22:11:07

Thank goodness it's not just me HotSoupDumpling ! I didn't think I'd feel so tired until later on. The other day, around 6pm, I thought I must have a nap. Was planning an hour, turned into 3 hours of deep sleep. Got up to eat then went straight to bed!

Kelly1814 Wed 13-Feb-13 08:39:55

seriousstuff a kegel app, what a great idea! logging on now to find one!

HotSoupDumpling Wed 13-Feb-13 15:19:09

Hi Kelly, snap on the boobs front. Can't really sleep on my front anymore. Humph.

I know what you mean seriousstuff - the first indication I had that I was pregnant was when I was around 8DPO. I was working from home when suddenly at around 2pm I was just staring into space, then suddenly my legs were taking me into my bed, I got in and just fell unconscious straight away. A few hours later...woke up feeling guilty!

expectingwriter Wed 13-Feb-13 15:26:32

I've literally just signed up to Mumsnet and I'm so pleased I've found this thread. I've been feeling exactly like this - I'm 5.5 weeks gone, and I literally breathe a huge sigh of relief with each day that passes because each day down means one day closer to that 12 week scan. I have friends that are expecting, but they're already at 13/14 weeks so the news is out, and I can't ask them yet. Just wanted to say I'm so pleased to have found other expectant mums I can ask questions to! I have a feeling this might get addictive!

Good luck to everyone!

I'm keeping a diary of pregnancy: expectingandexpectant.wordpress.com

SeriousStuff Tue 26-Feb-13 09:28:20

Hi all - I hope you're doing well!

I'm into my second week of non-stop nausea. Still haven't been sick though. But the only things I can really stomach now are battered/breaded foods e.g. fish fingers, chicken dippers, scampi...healthy! And I can sneak some veg in if I have mash (mash and gravy is as healthy as it gets!)

We had our 8 week scan yesterday (although I'm only 7+4 weeks). From the 5 week scan to yesterday, the change is incredible. Last scan you could just make out the sack. Yesterday, you could make out the baby's head and what will eventually be arms and legs, they found the heartbeat and you could see the blood flowing in and out! It was incredible and can't wait for 12 weeks now.

The only thing is, I just want to feel normal again. I'm fed up of waking every morning, and for a split second thinking that I'm feeling better only for the nausea to come over me like a tidal wave and stick around all day. Brushing my teeth makes me gag and my DH isn't allowed anywhere near me if he's been eating/drinking, has just put on aftershave or has been exercising - every smell makes me sick!

BookWormery Tue 26-Feb-13 12:08:51

The nausea will hopefully disappear soon SeriousStuff! Glad to hear all is well. How come you've had scans at 5 and 8 weeks? I thought the standard was just 12?

SeriousStuff Wed 27-Feb-13 09:56:53

The 5 week scan was due to a visit to A&E - had shoulder pain and heard it can be a symptom of an ectopic pregnancy (everything was fine luckily).

Then the 8 week was a follow-up from that one. We live out in the stick s so I think they felt sorry for us and wanted to at least feel they'd done everything before we were sent home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now