Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Re-usable wipes- anyone used/considering using them?

(80 Posts)
12ylnon Wed 30-Jan-13 11:58:08

Just had a read about them (cheeky wipes in particular) and the system doesn't really seem to have any downsides, plus it has rave reviews.
The only thing i'm concerned about is the initial output of £50 and then not liking them.
www.cheekywipes.com/
Any experience?

PoppyAmex Sat 02-Feb-13 12:33:40

Wiggy I just put wipes and nappies in the machine, run an extended cold rinse cycle with a smidgen of vinegar and then run a proper washing cycle.

I've never find there are large amounts of poo in the wipes though (and I have a weaning-poo ridden baby).

nannyl Sat 02-Feb-13 10:03:36

I do

I dont use flushable liners with my nappies (se fleece) and most poo rolls of but some doesnt, but it all gets clean in the machine

also i use a piece of loo roll for the first bit of wiping which flushes down the loo

Wiggy29 Sat 02-Feb-13 08:20:42

Daft question here re: reuseable wipes and poopy bums- do you just put them in wash with the poop still on? I know with my re-useable nappies I have a liner that I get rid of so, not sure how washing works for wipes if they would be covered in poop? hmm

Fishandjam Fri 01-Feb-13 20:14:55

Well, my cut-up cheapy Dunelm fleece throws are turning out to be excellent. The fabric is such poor quality grin that one side has bobbled slightly in manufacture; kiss of death for interior furnishings, but great for shitty arses as it means you have a choice of sides to use - the bobbly side for really stubborn Weetabix poo!

notso Fri 01-Feb-13 09:56:24

I use a mixture, we are lucky enough to get disposable ones really cheaply (£3 for a box of 10 Huggies) and I have given up on cloth nappies, it was just too depressing with DS2's toddler diarrhoea with two in cloth I was drowning in endless pooey laundry. However I still like the cloth wipes, I use microfibre cloths, I find terry too thick. I bought two packs of 10 for £4 in the sale in TKMaxx, they are sold as baby wash cloths. I also use some lovely teddy-fleece washcloths from a discount shop to dry their bottoms with.

I use Cheeky Wipes. I would prefer for them to be slightly bigger.

Quilty Fri 01-Feb-13 09:26:43

I'm planning to make my own by cutting up some old towels and going round the edge with the sewing machine so they don't fray to bits.

The cheeky wipes are 15x15cm, seems that could be a bit small or do you find them ok? Just wondering how big to cut the squares!

BornToFolk Thu 31-Jan-13 15:19:22

I have some old ikea face cloths,would they be too harsh for baby skin?

Nah, they'd be fine! Old face cloths are probably better in fact as they would get softer with use. And once they are dampened, they'd be fine, especially when a bit of scrubbing is needed. As someone said upthread, disposable wipes just tend to move the poo around, reusable wipes are much better at getting it off.

Msbluesky32 Thu 31-Jan-13 15:18:26

You've all inspired me to give it a go, but I might try flannel material instead of the pre made packs. I'm just looking at the state of my hands from all the cold weather we have had, I don't think they would stand up to the chemicals on throw away baby wipes. I've never liked the wipes you get for your face even - I can imagine how the disposables just mush stuff about... Urgh

unluckyfriedkitten Thu 31-Jan-13 15:01:53

We've used cloth wipes for both our boys. Never paid for any of them. We started out with a load of offcuts of material from a wahm who made nappies and then added to them over the years from worn out/stained clothes. Fleece & jersey cotton (t shirts mainly) work the best as they don't need sewing. We just cut em up and use for wiping bums, faces, cleaning round the house etc. No special potion, just wet under the tap or with a water bottle/spray bottle when out and about. They get washed with nappies, sheets or towels, basically anything that gets a hot wash to kill germs. To dry we pile em up and put on radiators or in the airing cupboard.

smaths Thu 31-Jan-13 14:53:34

I don't dry my wipes, it's not necessary if you keep them in an airtight box (I use a lock and lock tupperware type thing). Just add a bit more water with some essential oil and they are ready to go.

amirah85 Thu 31-Jan-13 14:45:48

I have some old ikea face cloths,would they be too harsh for baby skin?

mummysmellsofsick Thu 31-Jan-13 14:26:48

get stuff dry

mummysmellsofsick Thu 31-Jan-13 14:25:58

We rarely tumble dry ours. We have a small flat with no garden and we manage washable nappies and wipes, we dry on radiators in the winter and tumble dry or partly tumble dry in autumn & spring when it's harder to get stuff. We do dry our cheeky wipes though they smell awful in that tub after a day. Didn't think masking the smell with essential oil was all that hygienic.

BB01 Thu 31-Jan-13 14:25:48

rrreow good tips - thanks very much.

nannyl Thu 31-Jan-13 14:10:49

i use loo roll for the first poo wipe, so the worst of it flushes straight down the loo

Fishandjam Thu 31-Jan-13 13:55:13

Thanks Celtic. Most does indeed come off with the liner but sometimes there's plenty left clinging on too!

CelticPromise Thu 31-Jan-13 13:24:47

I find it mainly comes off in the liner, if it's a really bad one sometimes I do start with loo roll to get the worst off.

Fishandjam Thu 31-Jan-13 13:19:12

Another newbie here - I already do reusable nappies, and want to venture into wipes too. My local Dunelm has cheap fleece throws (1.2 x 1.5m, bright colours) going at 99p. They look like they'll be nice and absorbent, so I'm hoping they work once cut up!

Possibly a daft question: do you all wipe off ALL the poo with your washable wipes? Or do you scrape the worst off with bog roll first? I don't really fancy the idea of a load of extra shit going through my washing machine, especially now DD is onto solid food.

rrreow Thu 31-Jan-13 10:06:23

In my opinion muslins are more abrasive than flannels, especially when wet. For face/bum cleaning I'd definitely go with flannels of a towelling-type material. You can get bamboo wipes if your DC has especially sensitive skin as it's softer than cotton (although I live in a very hard water area and I have to say it doesn't make a huge difference, everything gets a bit crunchy after a few washes).

BB01 Thu 31-Jan-13 09:12:45

Hi all, complete newbie here (DC1 on the way). Loving the idea of just using face cloths a sounds cheap and much more eco friendly. Do people find flannels good or are they too abrasive? Does anybody use muslin type cloths?

CrackleMauve Thu 31-Jan-13 09:02:04

They said they would replace mine but I never got anything and then we stopped using washable nappies and didn't chase. I'm sure they would have sent them if I'd followed up again.

rrreow Wed 30-Jan-13 22:36:49

Yes I experienced the same as stargirl, the turquoise wipes ran for ages (at least 5 washes). Got a few vests with a turquoise sheen because of that, luckily nothing important.

My boxes broke too (the hinges on the lids), but they've changed the design recently so they're more robust now (and they replaced my lids free of charge which was really decent, excellent customer service every time I've contacted them).

stargirl1701 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:41:18

Yup. I use cheeky wipes. I also use real nappies. I have 50 bamboo wipes and a 'fresh' box as well as 25 microfibre wipes with both 'fresh' and 'mucky' boxes.

I use the bamboo for bottoms and microfibre for faces. The bottom wipes go in the nappy pail and are washed with the nappies. The face wipes go in with a brights wash.

Top tip: the turquoise microfibre wipes need a few washes on their own as the colour runs.

CrackleMauve Wed 30-Jan-13 21:37:42

Both my cheeky wipes tubs broke very quickly so they wouldn't stay closed. If you are using washable nappies as well you don't need the dirty tub as you can just throw them in the nappy bin. I would recommend going for something else simply because the annoyance of the tubs breaking is so high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now