Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Re-usable wipes- anyone used/considering using them?

(80 Posts)
12ylnon Wed 30-Jan-13 11:58:08

Just had a read about them (cheeky wipes in particular) and the system doesn't really seem to have any downsides, plus it has rave reviews.
The only thing i'm concerned about is the initial output of £50 and then not liking them.
www.cheekywipes.com/
Any experience?

Florin she didn't say that. Used wipes don't get rinsed in the wash basin, they go into the dirty nappy bag with cloth nappies to be washed at home.

Maria33 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:20:05

I cut up old tshirts and towels, kept them in a plastic nappy sack or tupperware with a bit of water, washed them with the nappies. Mixed it with disposable wipes for convenience at times. Can't believe people sell bits of cloth to wipe up poo with for £50 shock But I guess it's cheaper than wet wipes...

Florin Wed 30-Jan-13 14:22:28

"take out a damp flannel in a washbag. Easy to rinse out if children were particularly messy!"
Flannel as in singular and then rinses out if messy, it certainly sounds like it to me

cyclecamper Wed 30-Jan-13 14:24:13

I use them with charges and and I'll use them with my own. I use them as camping flannels for myself as well. I have some nice ones that came with my washable nappies and some perfectly adequate ones that I got cheap on ebay. I use them for nappy changing, face cleaning, nose wiping and mopping up spills, amongst other things. I always carry my cycling water bottle, so I just squeeze some water out of that. I use plastic bags to put them in and wash them at home. I also use them for wiping out my mooncup if there is not a wash basin in the cubicle.

For DS1 I bought some washable wipes from the Nappy Lady here. For DS2 I used those and old cut up towels and cut up Ikea fleece blankets though I preferred terry to fleece. I had a drawstring nappy bag to put the dirty wipes in and if I used them when I was out and about I'd just put them in a ziplock bag.

I bloody wish I'd thought of re-marketing it as a kit and charging £50 for it!

Msbluesky32 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:26:51

Interesting thread, Ive also been thinking about reusable wipes.

Can I ask - how do you dry everything? Do you all have tumbledryers? We dont have room for one and dont have much space to dry things inside.

Is it worth doing reusable wipes if youre not going to do reusable nappies? I think we could probably dry wipes but not both. Is it the wipes that cause the nappy rash or the wipes and the disposable nappies?

Im sorry to jump in, its got my brain whirring...

CelticPromise Wed 30-Jan-13 14:29:28

I use mini muslins and cheap face cloths. They are fab, much more effective than puny throwaway wipes, cheaper and greener too. I chuck them in the nappy bucket and wash them with my terry nappies. Old worn terries get recycled into wipes too.

CelticPromise Wed 30-Jan-13 14:30:59

I don't have a tumbler and dry nappies and wipes. If you want to try it I'd recommend terry squares because they dry much more quickly than other types.

nannyl Wed 30-Jan-13 14:32:48

msbluesky i was one of those peg things that has a hanger at the top and about 20 little pegs that one would normally use for underware or socks etc

the cloth terry sqaure wipes dry over night on that and are all ready to be used again the next day

dry even faster in the airing cupboard or on the line

until 2 months ago i didnt have a tumble drier

12ylnon Wed 30-Jan-13 14:33:21

I'm not using re-usable nappies with DS 2. DS1 never had nappy rash and we used disposable wipes and nappies, the reason i'm considering reusable wipes is because i have terrible eczema on my hands.
I'm not sure about other people's methods, but with the Cheeky Wipes system, you don't dry them, you just put them straight into the water and essential oil solution after washing.

MrsMushroom Wed 30-Jan-13 14:37:02

florin if you think there are less disgusting things than a baby's poo going into public sinkks then you'd be sadly wrong!

You can't fuss about that. People throw up in them...do drugs over them...all kinds of horrors.

Id rather a bit of baby poop than some other things!

CecyHall Wed 30-Jan-13 14:42:50

Florin if you read the whole paragraph the washed out flannel was for faces.

Msbluesky32 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:46:31

Thank you nannyl I actually have one of those peg things from travelling...Ill have to dig it out!

Hi 12ylnon thank you, I dont have eczema but I have v sensitive skin and was wondering just how sensitive our LO's skin will be, so that's good to know. Its our first baby so the knowledge you all have is invaluable!

NAR4 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:58:41

I cut up pieces of terry towelling for washable wipes, but these do need hemmings to stop freying. I also cut up some fleece into squares, which work just as well but don't need any hemming.

I used washable nappies as well so just put on a washload when I had enough. I always put them on for an extra rinse with no soap powder, to stop any residue soap powder from causing nappy rash.

cyclecamper Wed 30-Jan-13 15:05:06

I will be using washable nappies with no tumble drier. The trick is to keep on top of it so that you have a load of laundry a day and plenty of spares.

CelticPromise Wed 30-Jan-13 15:22:57

As a lazy user of reusables I would beg to differ. I think the trick is to have loads of nappies so you only need to wash twice a week. This is another reason I love terries- they're cheap and one size fits all, so it makes sense to get a lot.

rrreow Wed 30-Jan-13 15:29:47

growyourown77 If you're going to be using cloth nappies I'd just wash everything together (do a rinse first). If not, I'd put the wipes on a rinse on their own, then add your normal laundry so you have a full load and wash all together.

Msbluesky32 No need to dry the wipes, just stack 'em up when still damp (much easier than when they're dry anyway!) and put them back in the container, as you'll be adding water to them again anyway.

Regards cloth nappies, you can definitely dry them on an airer or outside when the weather allows. I have a tumble drier but I only use it for sheets (for nappies it would negate the whole using reusables for environmental reasons and also it shortens the life of a nappy as it damages the fibres). I wash every other day and I've found 16 nappies are more than enough for a toddler (you'd need more for a newborn though if you want to wash every other day).

evertonmint Wed 30-Jan-13 16:53:40

Florin - sorry if I didn't make it clear and nearly gave ou a hygiene heart attack smile I was referring to a washable flannel for faces and hands in the second bit of my message. Usually one quick wipe of a face with my damp cloth is all that is needed, but after messy meals I might have to take them to the loo to clean them up at a sink and can just rinse out the facecloth then. Pooey wipes very definitely go in a washbag to be dealt with at home! And bottom wipes and face wipes are completely separate things, managed separately and kept in separate placessmile

I just mentioned it because I often see people go through 5 or 6 disposable wipes trying to mop up their children in restaurants when a face flannel in a washbag does a much better job.

SeeYouSoon Wed 30-Jan-13 16:59:31

Wipes don’t need drying, so you’re ok on that score. I use bum genius nappies and they don’t take long to dry at all tbh.

Florin Wed 30-Jan-13 17:09:07

Very pleased the flannel is for faces wink sorry I read it wrong!

BluddyNora Wed 30-Jan-13 17:23:22

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said but I love my cheeky wipes smile

12ylnon Wed 30-Jan-13 18:18:54

Well i've yet to speak to a person who doesn't like their Cheeky Wipes! Honestly, i've not found one bad review.
Thanks for the answers everyone.

nannyl Wed 30-Jan-13 20:27:56

i find wipes do need drying... or else those at the bottom can get mouldy and smell of old manky wetness (not nice)

I guess if you dont have that many and use them all pretty quickly it wouldnt matter, but i have learnt the hard way about not drying wipes properly before storing for next use

(I too have (ikea) flannels for faces (and never bums) and all other wipes for bums (and never faces) washed seperately and stored seperately! bum wipes in nursery, flannels in kitchen!

Thinkingof4 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:29:29

I'm another one with cheeky wipes and I love them.
evertonmint that's a great idea re damp flannel for mucky faces when out, I might start doing that!!

When at home if I get a really pooey wipe I'll actually flush it in toilet, while holding onto it of course to avoid putting too much poo in bucket (but definitely wouldn't do that while using public toilets!!)

Thinkingof4 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:30:48

Btw I do sometimes give wipes a quick tumble on low to keep them soft, tend to do this with nappies too for 10 minutes or so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now