Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 weeks - preterm labour experiences?

(40 Posts)
SayCoolNowSayWhip Sun 27-Jan-13 18:22:13

Hi, have posted this in Premature Birth as well.

I'm 32 weeks exactly, and been having very strong BH since about 24/25 weeks. In the last week I've had stronger contractions that feel like the real thing (already have DD - 2yrs so I remember what they feel like!) but not regularly enough to get my midwife concerned. I also lost my plug on Monday. I'm having lower back pain on and off, and intense pressure on my pelvis - sometimes it feels like his head is pushing out!

Am I just being a bit paranoid? I don't want to waste time if I am, but just wondering if anyone else has gone into labour at about this time with similar symptoms?

Thanks.

TwitchyTail Wed 30-Jan-13 09:58:58

Glad things are settling down SayCool. I was admitted for steroid shots at 29 weeks (YOW those things hurt - or am I just a wuss?) and baby is still safely tucked up inside at almost 33 weeks now. Hope yours goes the same way! smile

Stay. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that but if you are going to labour when the nifedipine wears off, it could happen quickly and be a short labour so best to be in hospital until 48 hours after last steroid injection. Also, you never get to stay in hospital taking up a bed unless they think you really should so the doc clearly thinks it is best to stay put for a short while. You may find that once the nifedipine starts wearing off that you will get a lot of niggly pains that are brought on by just about anything (having a wee, not having a wee. Standing up, sitting down etc). At any point these niggles can turn into the real thing and baby isn't out of the danger zone for respiratory problems until 48 hours past the last steroid dose.

Sorry!

Hi OP. I had a positive 'actim partus' test (the swab they do with the speculum) with contractions at 27 weeks. I was admitted for 4 days, then again at 29 weeks for 5 days, when I actually got to 2cm dilated. Fingers crossed everything has settled down a bit now, I am 31 + 2 now and still holding on, though I have had to start my mat leave much earlier than I was anticipating. I had the steroids at 27 weeks and bloody hell they hurt!

I have a very active baby and my symptoms were described as 'irritable uterus' which can be caused simply by all the wriggling setting off tightenings. I am still getting lots and lots of BH contractions, and proper ones overnight but I only need to go back in if they get much stronger.

My DS was born at 33 weeks with no prior warning that it might happen. He is a boisterous 3yo now. You're in the right place if you do deliver so I would hold on. Best of luck.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 30-Jan-13 10:49:56

Thanks all. Not what I wanted to hear but I know you're right hmm

To compound things, my doctor just phoned to say that a wee sample I had tested last week was positive for a uti bug (klebsiella?? (Sp) ) and when I told her I was at the hospital she wanted to speak to the midwife. The midwife had just brought my discharge forms and was actually, IMO, quite rude. She said 'well I can't do anything about it, does she want to speak to the doctor here?' So she went off and had a word with the dr who then relayed back that they would deal with it here. And the midwife grumpy sod stomped off with my discharge notes!

So now I have no idea what's going on!

I hope your little ones stay put Marjorie and Twitchy.

Yes those steroid shots hurt like hell! And really stingy for ages afterwards!

This little guy is proper active so I guess maybe he's irritated my uterus as well?

<sigh> Thanks for all your replies though, you're really helping smile thanks

So, are you staying in or has grumpy midwife discharged you?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 30-Jan-13 12:55:38

I self-discharged.... Against all advice I know. But to be honest what I really need is some rest and there's no way I'll get that in hospital. It's only a 15 minute drive if anything does happen and I do feel much better.

sundaesundae Wed 30-Jan-13 15:51:55

Don't stress about it, they wouldn't have offered you to go home if they thought it was risky. Feet up lots of rest and keep cooking that bump smile You are due the day before me I think so, stop frightening me ;)

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 30-Jan-13 16:28:06

Sorry Sundae! You'll be fine. I'm actually on the sofa having a very small glass of wine - for medicinal purposes, you understand.... wink

sundaesundae Wed 30-Jan-13 16:30:16

hehe, and my vanilla slice was for the same reason. I was only kidding about scaring me, don't worry. Hoping yours stays in a bit longer, I heat alcohol relaxed uterine contractions. 32 weeks and having had steroids you're in a great position smile

How's everything today, saycool?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 31-Jan-13 16:31:25

Ok thanks - nice to sleep in my own bed last night!

Knackered though. Been out and about today and might have overdone it slightly.... blush

Naughty! You must take it easy! <stern face>

SayCoolNowSayWhip Fri 01-Feb-13 08:53:50

blush Yes, Mum.....

Whatshappenedtous Sun 03-Feb-13 07:26:32

I went into labour with strong tightening pains at 33 weeks after 60 hours of on off BH contractions I had my DD by EMCS as heart stopped. Don't over do it I wish I had listened to the dr's

Whatshappenedtous Sun 03-Feb-13 07:27:30

Should of said my waters went at 29 weeks had steroids etc discharged myself and even changed hospital after a hormonal rage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now