Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Overweight then pregnant?

(16 Posts)
usernamegoeshere Mon 28-Jan-13 16:07:46

I was a size 14 when I got pregnant & am 5'1", like you I hold weight around my tummy & have to be careful to not look pregnant at the best of times!

I didn't get any double bumps or anything like that, my tummy isn't particularly fat just was prone to bloatyness, I found from about 12-14 weeks my entire tummy area started to change & it was as though fat from my hips was being pushed in front.

I started to show properly from about 20 weeks. Once I started showing I gained very quickly & although I measure correctly for dates (now 29 weeks) I look pretty big to the untrained eye as being short there is just no where for the baby to grow but outwards.

My tummy started being squished upwards from about 27 weeks & I can no longer eat as much as I would have pre pregnancy in one sitting. You'll probably find though that its a nice change not to have to worry about holding your tummy in!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 14:51:53

I was borderline obese when I got pregnant (BMI was 29). People who knew I was pregnant did comment that I was 'showing' when actually what happened was the baby bump pushed up my muffin top up! For a while I sort of two bellies but its merged now at 28 weeks I love my bump! smile Actually as a serial dieter it's the happiest I've ever been with my body.

I think it's important to eat well when TTC and I found eating a low carb/higher protein diet really helped me control my weight. No reason why you can't do that while starting to TTC. It might not happen straight away anyway.

Your bump will be lovely. All bumps are smile

peanutMD Sun 27-Jan-13 21:03:08

Hi Sparkle,

I'm currently 34 Weeks pregnant with DC2 and my bump has been visible from around 16 Weeks although a lot of people weren't sure if I had just put on weight because it wasn't as pronounced as a skinny bump if that makes sense.

I am 5ft 4 and was about 7st overweight when I fell pregnant, although I look about 3st slimmer than I actually am confused, I've put on 9.5lbs so far which I'm quite pleased with as I put on 4st with DC1 blush

Springforward Sun 27-Jan-13 20:36:31

I was about 1.5 stone overweight when I got pregnant this time, and as soon as I found out I got myself back to slimming world with mw's blessing. I've still gained about another stone at 22 weeks but I haven't changed dress size, shoe size or ring size so I think it's mostly where it should be. I didn't show until 18 ish weeks, and I now have a high round bump which is a bit B-shaped but is getting less so as weeks pass. I wasn't overweight at the start of my first pregnancy and I showed much earlier, was in maternity clothes by 12-week scan.

sparkle9 Sun 27-Jan-13 09:36:12

Thanks for the replies. I knows it's probably a tiny silly thing to worry about but it has been bugging me. I do not want to have a far bump and a baby bump! But if I put off TTC until I lose weight then I'll be waiting for a long time. This belly of mine was even there when I was only a size 10. I can remember trying to disguise it from even my youngest teenage years when I was skinny!

vvviola Sun 27-Jan-13 07:38:42

I've always had a bit of a tummy. I showed pretty early on DD1 - but that was because I moved into maternity clothes pretty early.

On DD2, when I was significantly more overweight I didn't show for ages. My bump kind of "ate up" the flab. And I had people at work asking other colleagues/friends "is she or isn't she?" when I was 5 months gone grin (and incidentally I was back in pre-preg clothes within 2 weeks - but I still haven't made it back into pre-children clothes at all)

So essentially, everybody and every pregnancy is totally different (sorry. That doesn't really help much, does it grin)

catladycourtney1 Sun 27-Jan-13 07:35:04

I was quite overweight before I got pregnant and I didn't show until almost 30 weeks! I also have far worse stretchmarks than I ever imagined. My bump is a weird shape too, over-bump trousers are a must because waistbands do still lead to a muffin top! I haven't had back or hip issues or developed diabetes like some people predicted, but at 34 weeks my blood pressure is rising very fast (not necessarily because I'm overweight but it can be a factor, although it's always been on the low side until now).

baileysontherocks Sun 27-Jan-13 07:28:06

Very tight baby bumps and People noticed I was pregnant from very early on .
My bumps weren't any different to anyone else's except I had huge amounts of stretch marks and they bled because my stomach stretched that much my 1st baby was 9lb 14oz though but my 2nd was only 7lb 14oz and my bump was the same smile

Sorry posted too soon

baileysontherocks Sun 27-Jan-13 07:25:15

Iv been very overweight with both of my pregnancies and had

bugoven Sun 27-Jan-13 07:22:43

Your bump will be beautiful smile
A few of my friends who were a little overweight had lovely round bumps when pregnant just maybe took a lottle longer to show.

bogwoppitinatree Sun 27-Jan-13 00:32:12

I am a size 18 and shaped similarly to how you are - just over 6 ft though but most of my fat sits round my stomach. At 21 weeks I am not showing much at all, the baby has sort of grown into the existing hump and is firming it up. I think my bump will always have a squishy exterior. Not too bad though at all. Good luck with everything.

sparkle9 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:57:16

Thank you for replying!

Posted too soon

sparkle9 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:56:56

Sounds horrid :-(

But thank you for re

Becky2406 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:30:44

It stays there Hun you just get a bump under it so where as all the skinny girls get a beautiful tight bump you may get a bump but will be softer if you have fat low down by your pubic bone u get almost a double belly. I hope this helps and loads of luck with ttc xx

sparkle9 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:15:51

I'm about to begin TTC and have just realised that all of my friends who have been pregnant before me all had lovely flat tummies before pregnancy. I am a size 14 which is not massively huge but I'm just 5' 2" and most of the weight is around my tummy. My tummy sticks out quite far and I never ever wear anything tight fitting - or I would look pregnant already.

What happens when/if I get pregnant and have a baby bump? Where does the current tummy fat go? It's not a flabby tummy or rolls - it's firm and rounded. Like a baby bump! I've had this for as long as I can remember. And now I'm worried about what will happen when I'm pregnant. Help!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now