Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon is too soon for the NT test?

(7 Posts)
mrsR1991 Sat 26-Jan-13 16:33:48

is this the test for down syndrome? coz i had my 12 weeks scan on thursday and they said they couldn't do the test as i was only 11 weeks so have to back at some point this week xx

spaghettibolognese Sat 26-Jan-13 15:21:17

Thank you, ladies! I guess two scans can't be a bad thing! smile

TinkyPeet Sat 26-Jan-13 14:50:06

If you are too early they will just rebook it and you get an extra scan smile I was only 10 weeks at my dating scan so got another one for NT smile x

TwitchyTail Sat 26-Jan-13 14:19:26

I would stick to the LMP (last menstrual period) dates and just go for the scan as booked in. As SlouchingPanda says, they can always get you back if it's too early. Most women's cycles aren't 28 days with ovulation on day 14, so dates are always a bit of a gamble before the first scan.

SlouchingPanda Sat 26-Jan-13 13:55:23

Better to be too early for it than too late. They can always get you back for a seconds scan if your dates are wrong - it happens all the time.

Havingkittens Sat 26-Jan-13 13:50:47

The soonest they can tell anything is 11+4.

spaghettibolognese Sat 26-Jan-13 13:44:52

My cycles are very irregular to say the least (anywhere from 5 weeks to 5 months in between), and based on the pregnancy test I took I would estimate myself to be around 9 weeks (in medical terms), although the GP has estimated from the date of my last period, which would put me at around 12 weeks now.

I'm booked in for bloods next week, with the NT scheduled for the week after. I'm conscious that I haven't even had my pregnancy dated properly, so if I find that I'm actually only 10 weeks at the scan, will this be too early to get an accurate image? Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding when the best time is to have scans done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now