Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Panicking about abdominal pains...

(12 Posts)
Pritchyx Sat 26-Jan-13 23:48:13

I had constant pains/aches in the first few weeks, didn't help that I was running all admin single-handedly for work and was completely exhausted - make sure you try and get some rest. And you'll find they'll disappear.. Mine took a good two weeks to go completely but they became less frequent and more bearable! It is probably growing pains and your uterus stretching.
I'm 24+6 so I still get them every now and again but not often. My unborn is healthy and clearly very content as their kicks are very powerful and can be uncomfortable (unsure of gender thanks to 2 really fantastic sonographers.. Not)
If the pains don't go or at least ease, I'd phone your midwife ASAP x

catladycourtney1 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:33:58

I am almost 35 weeks now but I had lower-left abdominal pains at that stage and after, which got progressively worse. They can be quite sharp when walking or moving about, and took my breath away at times. At my first scan they found a large (8cm) cyst on my ovary on that side and sometimes that can cause pain if they get tugged or twisted (or they can burst, but it's very rare), but when I asked my mifwife about the pains she said it was more likely to be normal stretching pains, since women without ovarian cysts often get them too. I thought I had appendicitis at one point (about 16 weeks) and went to the emergency doctors, who told me that since it wasn't constant and excruciating, it was probably round ligament pain (the ligaments around your womb stretching out) and just a normal part of pregnancy, the only way to help it is take it easy and sit or lie down to take the weight off it. By 20 weeks my cyst had shrunk to about 1cm but the pains were still there, so I'm happy that it wasn't that, but it could be what is causing your pains? I've also had the WORST gas pains ever throughout my pregnancy, always when I'm in bed and I'm literally stuck to bed, it feels like if I move at all something will burst! But that's not in the same place.

Of course if you're really worried then ask your midwife or ring her or a doctor, or NHS direct. If you have any bleeding or anything with it then definitely get seen ASAP. Or as someone else said, ditto if it gets a lot worse or you have sickness or diarrhoea.

MeanMrsMustard Sat 26-Jan-13 12:24:21

Norem - my first scan is in 3 weeks.

amazingmumof6 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:21:58

you can call NHS helpline 08454647

HJBeans Sat 26-Jan-13 12:21:39

I had similar at the same stage and all the advices had was if there's no bleeding, you're likely ok. Could be intestinal, could be stretching pain, could be cyst left over on your ovary (which is completely normal). But do get checked if you're worried -stress is no good for you! Good luck.

Norem Sat 26-Jan-13 12:14:12

Hi op have you had your first scan yet?

MeanMrsMustard Sat 26-Jan-13 12:03:59

unless it gets worse.

MeanMrsMustard Sat 26-Jan-13 12:02:28

Thanks for the replies.
The intensity builds up, like a balloon being blown up, but it's not that bad. Definately not enough to stop me sleeping.
I am a little constipated. Maybe it's as smile as that. I had some stretching pains when I got my bfp, but annoyingly can't remember what it felt like.

I have no idea who to call on a weekend, as its not bad enough to require a and e. I'll call my midwife on Monday is less it gets worse.

Thanks.

gertrudestein Sat 26-Jan-13 11:49:33

Get it checked out if you can, although I remember having similar pains at that stage. They were growing pains, and the baby was fine.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sat 26-Jan-13 11:38:27

How intense is it? Can you sleep? At about 9 weeks it could be a variety of things including ligament stretching pains - my MW did warn me that these can be quite uncomfortable. Are you constipated? If it gets to be very painful, or you start being sick/having diarrhoea, seem urgent medical attention.

amazingmumof6 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:20:02

I'd get it checked, really wouldn't know what it could be

MeanMrsMustard Sat 26-Jan-13 11:09:57

I'm quite a nervous person so not sure how silly I'm being here. It's probably been less than 24 hours.

I'm not very good at describing pains and aches, but I'll give it my best shot.
The pain is low left- side abdomen. It's sharp but it's mild, intermittent but regular - id say every 2 -5 minutes. It only lasts a few seconds. It's like I notice it, it gets a little worse, then it goes. 2 seconds max! It is always in the same place.
Has anyone else had anything similar. Completely normal or worth investigating?
I'm 9+5 ish

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now