Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's the latest anyone's told work of pregnancy?

(16 Posts)
Sallypuss Fri 25-Jan-13 18:17:04

Just that really. I'm 18 weeks and had been delaying telling my boss due to a potential promotion opportunity but boss has cancelled my meeting with him today at which I was going to tell him. This is the second time he's cancelled. At this rate he'll find out when I've given birth!

Rache1S Fri 25-Jan-13 18:26:45

As long as you tell them before the 25th week I think you can tell them whenever.
I don't know how you mask the bump for that long though? Maybe just keep casually dropping it into conversation how you always have pies for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day? grin
Sorry, I know I'm not much help as I told my boss at about 8 weeks, although I haven't informed the company officially yet as waiting to get the MATB1 certificate after 20 weeks.
Good luck!

ladymia Fri 25-Jan-13 18:30:34

I told work at about 18 weeks. I only started really looking pregnant at 22ish weeks.

Radiator1234 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:19:18

I told them after my 20 week scan despite looking quite pregnant with # 2. Disguised with lots of gypsy tops. No obligation to tell them any earlier so didn't feel the need to.

nextphase Fri 25-Jan-13 19:34:35

We had a lady tell us after her 20 week scan, and another at 24+6!!!!

You need to tell them by 25 weeks, but apart from that, whenever suits.

I told my boss at 19 weeks. I had only been in the job for 7 months so I wanted to leave it as long as possible before making an announcement. I had also had 2 mc so didn't want to tempt fate. I would have been happy to wait a bit longer but was really struggling to hide my growing bump.

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:46:04

23 weeks.

ghislaine Fri 25-Jan-13 19:48:52

24 weeks - I work from home a lot!

Newtothisstuff Fri 25-Jan-13 20:04:57

23 weeks I hid it well grin

MorganLeFey Fri 25-Jan-13 20:34:52

Yeah, I officially told after my 20 week scan too.

Although informally my current immediate boss knew early (about 8 weeks?) as I was unwell - although I'm only in a post with them so Maternity Leave etc. won't directly impact them.

Lots of other official people in offices & multiple new bosses I have met twice or not at all that I told later - which was slightly nervewracking!

MustafaCake Fri 25-Jan-13 20:41:58

I'm the HR manager at work and one lady didn't tell us till the day after her baby was born!

She had no idea she was pregnant - and she certainly didn't look it!

Poor woman was in complete shock!

MustafaCake Fri 25-Jan-13 20:42:39

But on a more practical note, you need to tell them in the 24th week.

rainand Sat 26-Jan-13 12:18:11

MustafaCake: Does tell mean you have to fill in the forms and hand in MATB1? I told my work place a good couple of weeks ago but will not be handing in MATB1 until 26/27 weeks. Is that OK?

Rache1S Sat 26-Jan-13 13:35:06

My Midwife told me she would give me MATB1 at my 25 week appointment but if I wanted it sooner I could just text her my details any time after 20 weeks and she'd post it. I want to get mine ASAP as my employer won't talk to me about dates for maternity leave until they have the form and I really want to set a date so I have something to look forward to grin

Rainand I thought the mat b1 form had to be handed in 15 weeks before baby due so by week 25 at latest?

Snowflakepie Sat 26-Jan-13 15:58:46

You have to tell your employer before you are 25 weeks (if you know yourself, lol!). Verbal is enough at this point. You can receive your Mat B1 after 20 weeks, signed by your dr or midwife. This is the medical confirmation of pregnancy and is required in order to be paid SMP. So as long as your employer has it before you expect to go on maternity leave, this is fine. You need to allow for your payroll to process it all though, so in general I would allow a minimum of 4 weeks for that. If you do get it later for any reason, all that means is you may have to pay back normal salary paid in error in place of SMP. I hope that makes sense? I will get mine signed at 28 weeks as I don't have an appointment before then, 2nd pg. For a first pg here you have an earlier appointment at 24 weeks I think, so that would also be ok. I will be taking holiday before my mat leave started at 38 weeks so it should all work fine. I hope that makes sense? Bearing in mind the earliest you can take mat leave is 29 weeks, it would be unusual for it not to be sorted out really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now