Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

1st Scan - can't be done til 14 weeks...

(29 Posts)
EwokStorageUnit Fri 25-Jan-13 12:25:20

I want to have the nuchal transulancy test, they've taken all the bloods, but can't get me in for my first scan until I'm (according to MW's calculations) about 14 weeks.

Following appointment letter, I've called the unit to ask if they can bring it forward at all and they have just said that they can't do it.

I know that the cut off is 14 weeks and 1 day, but it seems like such a long time away. Am I stressing unnecessarily? Any reassurance gratefully received.

blush

EwokStorageUnit Mon 28-Jan-13 12:25:18

Thanks for input everyone - I decided to go for a private dating scan over the weekend a) to put my mind at rest that there really was a beanie there and b) to check my dates.

Happy to say, beanie is there, with a heart beat but rather worryingly looks a little like a dog!

Dated at 11 +4 yesterday, which means that I'll be in good time for NT when I have my first NHS scan.

I can't tell you what a relief it was - especially after stressing myself out so much on Friday. Thank you so much for holidng my hand and giving me support.

Worrying thing was that lady doing the scan told me that I was the third person she'd seen that day who was in tears because of over stretched maternity services....

Missingthemincepies Mon 28-Jan-13 14:39:23

Ah that's great news ewok. Really worth the money for that peace of mind (even though you shouldn't have to go through all that). So pleased you managed to get a good look at your beanie. Best of luck for an uneventful pregnancy.

EwokStorageUnit Mon 28-Jan-13 20:12:36

Thank you Missing (or is it Mince Pie???) - the relief I felt was immense and like you say, well worth the money.

I'm sure I'll be ready for another crisis by tomorrow wink

BartletForTeamGB Tue 29-Jan-13 08:36:26

Do complain about it to PALS. The sonographers and midwives won't like the situation any more than you and will find the understaffing/overstretching of the department, but managers will listen to patient complaints and might do something about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now