Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Insomnia?

(31 Posts)
Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 00:40:10

Usually sleep so well. Was so tired this evening now it is after midnight and I can't sleep!confused
6 weeks pregnant. Anyone else experiencing similar?

Withalittlesparkle Fri 25-Jan-13 01:04:03

On and off insomnia since about 5 weeks!! Am now 19 weeks!!!! But least I have MN to keep me company

Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 01:15:22

I know...hope it disappears soon. Having such random thoughts too....!
Has anything helped?

LazyMachine Fri 25-Jan-13 01:29:00

38 wks here and it's gotten pogressively worse!

LazyMachine Fri 25-Jan-13 01:29:26

*progressively

Withalittlesparkle Fri 25-Jan-13 01:36:51

Nothing seems to help I'm afraid, although I've found if I go to bed when I'm tired that helps, rather than trying to fight it? If that makes sense?

Other than that just waiting till my eyes are heavy and then trying again!!

I like to think of it as preparation for when I've got a new born keeping me up all night!!!

Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 01:42:00

Thank you both. Worried that I took the flu jab today. Have eithrr of you had it?

VickyU Fri 25-Jan-13 02:04:59

37.5 and I'm afraid my insomnia has also got progressively worse. I feel sort of jet lagged most of the time. Whether I get up at 7am or 11am I can never sleep at night. I just sleep whenever I am able to now I'm on maternity leave but obviously more difficult at the beginning. A lot of people tell me its our bodies preparing for a newborn....

Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 02:30:17

Phew it is pretty rough! Hope you are enjoying your ML... not long to go until you get to meet your little one!

HandMini Fri 25-Jan-13 08:08:07

39 weeks. Eyes propped open with matchsticks every day....averaging about four hours a night. Perhaps I'm in training for arrival of newborn.

Withalittlesparkle Fri 25-Jan-13 09:09:10

Mam hope you got to sleep last night!! There's nothing wrong with the flu jab, they encourage preggos to have it, had mine at 5 weeks!! No side effects other than a sore arm

Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:29:18

Thank you so much ladies. Eventually got to sleep about 4! FX for us all tonight!

LazyMachine Fri 25-Jan-13 10:05:56

The best thing about Maternity Leave is being able to take a nap when you need to. Now, I'm not as bothered that I can't sleep (or can only sleep in short 1-2 hr. bursts), because I make up for it during the day while lounging around in my pjs.

I found the first trimester exhaustion/insomnia combo difficult, but both got better in the second trimester. And, then, of course came back with a vengeance in the third!

Perhaps a warm bath before bed and lavender oil might help you Mama?

forgetmenots Fri 25-Jan-13 10:14:18

Me too sad

Have found hot milk, lavender oil and dreamgennii pillow to be helpful - would recommend it.

LazyMachine Fri 25-Jan-13 11:30:55

Definitely get a DreamGenii. I'm currently using mine folded around my pillow as extra lower back support to avoid the dread acid reflux. (Oh, yes, that's another pleasant symptom you've got to look forward to, OP!)

Mamab33 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:03:33

Are we ok to use lavender oil in first trimester?? smile

forgetmenots Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:33

Ah mama, hadn't thought of that! I'm not sure, sorry, I'm in 2nd... Maybe someone helpful will have the answer in a minute!

LazyMachine Fri 25-Jan-13 23:32:34

Yes, okay to use Lavender throughout, but avoid the clary sage!

Mamab33 Sat 26-Jan-13 00:03:39

Thank you LazyMachine smile

Withalittlesparkle Sat 26-Jan-13 00:11:06

Mama totally forget to recommend mum and me sleep mist, it's from boots, lavender and camomile spray that you just waft around the room a little bit before going to bed!! That helps calm me down a little!! Hopefully tonight you'll sleep better!

butterflyexperience Sat 26-Jan-13 04:31:54

15 weeks and its just started. confused
Had it with my other 2 dc too

Maybe we should use this thread to keep us entertained during the early hours smile

mrsmellow Sat 26-Jan-13 04:53:24

15 weeks and I think maybe I slept too much in the 1st trimester...
I fall asleep on the sofa, go to bed and am wide awake - but do eventually go to sleep, then wake up early and can't get back to sleep. confused
I'm exhausted. Make it go away!
My brain won't stop whirring.
I do have a lot on at the moment, we're about to move continents and have nowhere to live in our new country, I'm trying to finishing off a thesis...

LazyMachine Sat 26-Jan-13 05:06:32

Ooooh - where are you moving to/from, MrsM? I'm also working on a thesis, but I'm taking ML between my 1st and 2nd years. (Will be interesting to see how my brain copes next fall with that and a 7 month old baby!)

butterflyexperience Sat 26-Jan-13 08:27:46

Been awake since 4 this morning am now exhausted but can't rest as have a meeting then a 1st birthday party today.
Bugger...

Withalittlesparkle Sat 26-Jan-13 09:14:09

I actually got a half decent nights sleep but didn't go to bed till turned midnight!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now