Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

10 Weeks, weight gain?

(13 Posts)
Bejeena Thu 24-Jan-13 10:52:59

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone would mind saying how much weight they gained in the first trimester? I am now 10+2 and have only gained 1.5lbs (0.7kg) since the start, with those 1.5lbs being straight after Christmas so assumed this was the usual over eating etc.

I am normal healthy weight, my BMI is 22. I was wondering if I should have gained more at this stage or if this is normal?

I have been feeling pretty sick, although not overly being physically sick that much and guess eating has been normal, hard to say.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, am probably fretting over nothing.

janey1234 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:56:48

I put on 3lbs immediately, and then nothing again until about 14 weeks. I think that's very normal indeed; in fact I think you're supposed to stay pretty much the same for the first trimester, and then start putting it on from week 13 onwards...

Don't worry smile

I lost weight initially. My thighs and arms and face thinned right down and my tummy was the only place that seemed flabby (no defnite bump til about 18wks).

Didnt stay like that though!!

A friend of mine put on 6lb in the whole .pregnancy (and the baby was 7'2!)

Bejeena Thu 24-Jan-13 11:12:01

Ok that is good new. Of course I won't be complaining at all about lack of weight loss when I am 35 weeks for sure so should probably just make the most of it!

BraveLilBear Thu 24-Jan-13 12:17:37

Hi there, I'm at 14 weeks now and am weighing half a stone less than I did when I became pregnant!

This is due to a combination of an illness that needed surgery then morning sickness and then a tummy bug over new year, where I lost an additional 4 pounds (since gradually got back on).

I'm still being sick several times a week, a variety of early morning and late night, so not expecting to pile it on yet. I think it's different for different people though - a friend is four weeks ahead of me and has put weight on from the start due to excess hunger and no sickness...

CareerGirl01 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:38:23

By 10 weeks I had lost weight too. Am 25 weeks today and have put on 15lbs now - and baby is fine.

Reebok Fri 25-Jan-13 17:42:03

I'm almost 15 weeks and lighter than I was when I first got pregnant. That's because I've been suffering from hyperemesis though. A lot of medical professionals look at me and question whether I'm 15 weeks! Erm...it's a little difficult to put on weight when you are constantly throwing up! Someone I work with however, had put on weight by this stage though so different with different people. And also depends on how sick you are! I wouldnt worry!

LouiseD29 Fri 25-Jan-13 23:50:36

I put on about 4lbs very quickly and then was weighed today by midwife and I've lost two of them! Am 11+1 and was expecting to have gained more than that as I've eaten more than my fair share of cheese sandwiches in the last two months! And, you know, loads of, like, oranges and brocolli as well...

VickyU Sat 26-Jan-13 02:53:15

Hi there. I also had a BMI of 22 when I got pregnant and only put on 1 or 2 pounds in the first trimester. Then piled it on quite quickly in second once nausea and sickness had gone, and now its slowed right down in the 3 trimester as my stomach is squashed so I can't eat much in one go. I'm 37+2 now and I've put on 1 stone and 10 pounds altogether. It definitely hasn't quite been the gradual process I was hoping for but its turned out alright in the end. Hope that helps!

beckie90 Sat 26-Jan-13 10:46:33

First pregnancy I gained about 2ib but then lost them by 15wk. I ended up putting on 4st all together by 42wks. 2nd pregnancy I started with a bmi of 20, which by 13wk had gone down to 17.5 because of nausea, by the time I went into labour I weighed exactly what I did pre pregnancy so really no gain at all (and he weighed 9ib) this time I'm 12+3 and had lost 4ib from my 7wk check to my 10wk one. So its pretty normal I wouldnt worry xxx

Click on the chart to see normal range of weight gain by week:
www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/popups/weightgain_chart.htm

Snowflakepie Sat 26-Jan-13 16:35:07

Completely normal OP, I gained nothing in the first trimester with either pg, no sickness but completely lost my appetite and obv not drinking. Have gained 5lbs up to week 20 now. With DD I was hardly showing at 30 weeks but then got a bump at last, and had gained 2 stone by due date. I know others who got a bump and gained very early on, but it then slowed right down. As long as your scans and appointments go ok, normal is whatever happens for you!

Emsyboo Sat 26-Jan-13 17:11:38

Everyone and every pregnancy is different my first I lost 10lbs (bmi was 18-19 pre pregnancy) from sickness but after about 16 weeks put in a lot actually 4.5 stone heavier than pre pregnancy weight of 9 stone. A lot was water etc and DS was 9lb2oz very healthy I also list the weight.
I was bmi 18 this pregnancy slightly lighter running after an 18 month old. Didn't lose any weight put on about 3lbs (still had sickness) but bump jumped out and boobs massive compared to last pregnancy since then have put on 25 lbs in total and am 33 weeks tomorrow.
Everyone is different don't worry too much just make sure you eat relatively healthily (hard work if like me you are craving cake and biscuits) and I swear by pre natal vitamins to make sure baby gets nutrients without depleting your stores keep you both healthy.
Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now