Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smear test when pregnant?

(19 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:07:39

Mine was due last autumn but never got reminder and was pregnant anyway. So am wondering can I have one done - am coming up to 25 weeks?

TwoCatsAndABabyBump Tue 22-Jan-13 20:08:48

I dot think you can have a smear whilst pregnant.

TwoCatsAndABabyBump Tue 22-Jan-13 20:09:11

*oops don't!

littlemissnormal Tue 22-Jan-13 20:09:35

I was due my last one when I was 30 weeks and I had to reschedule for after my baby was 6 months. I was told it can give a wrong result due to all the changes going on.

TwitchyTail Tue 22-Jan-13 20:13:20

No, they won't do a routine smear while you are pregnant. I am in the same situation and was advised to book in 12 weeks after the birth (at the earliest). I still get reminders from my GP surgery as they don't automatically connect up the reminders with who is pregnant. Hope that helps!

I had one at 14 weeks. It flagged up abnormal cells. I then had a colposcopy after dd was born. I also had cells monitored whilst pg. if I hadn't had it done then I def would have put it off post birth and that could have been fatal. If your midwife will do it then I strongly advise it.

GaryBuseysTeeth Tue 22-Jan-13 20:17:36

Mine was due when I got pg, saw the midwife last week (booking apt) & she said they'll send me a reminder/remind me at 6wk post-birth check-up to book it in.

CareerGirl01 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:24:44

strawberry sounds worrying - I've never had problems before. May ring GP tomorrow to check

VickyU Tue 22-Jan-13 20:25:24

Sorry to confuse, but I had a colposcopy at 26 weeks. This may have been because I am high risk due to taking immunosuppressant drugs throughout pregnancy though....so maybe if its just a routine smear, better to wait.

I'm just glad I had it done. The colposcopy removed quite a large area of cin3 cells but that was 18 months ago and I have had 3 clear smears since then. Please don't worry but if they can do it then I would say yes

CPtart Tue 22-Jan-13 21:04:27

No you shouldn't have a smear when pregnant as any abnormal cellular changes may be due to the pregnancy hormones. This is also why you should leave at least 12 weeks post delivery before having a smear, to allow things to settle down so to speak!

emmyloo2 Wed 23-Jan-13 08:13:10

I was due to have one and I rang my GP and they said no, not while you are pregnant and they will do it during my 6 week check. I think because they are scraping the cervix it would be dangerous to do it during pregnancy??

CPtart Wed 23-Jan-13 08:23:44

I have recently been on a smear taking update ( as a practice nurse) and they were very clear on the 12 week wait post natally. I personally would not have it done at the 6 week check. You are at increased risk of a false positive result and potentially unnecessary referrals if things have not settled.

BartletForTeamGB Wed 23-Jan-13 10:17:04

Routine smears should not be done in pregnancy. It is not dangerous but the chances of false positives are much higher.

If you have symptoms though, remember that smears are just for screening so see a doctor for a proper visit to they can go through everything and do a full examination.

curryeater Wed 23-Jan-13 10:23:53

It is not dangerous and it should be done if there is any reason for you to be worried (if they have put you on a more frequent schedule for any reason, for instance).
There is a higher chance of false positives during pregnancy so they don't like to. It just means that if there is a false positive they will have to investigate it and they may consider that a waste of resources. It is not a waste of resources if it saves your life.
It is nothing to do with any risk to your pregnancy.

birdofthenorth Wed 23-Jan-13 18:51:27

Do not wish to scare anyone but I had a smear at a few weeks pg and later miscarried. I very very much doubt the two were connected and will never know- but I wouldn't do it again, just to be super sure, in case perhaps it opened the cervix or something. I told the doctor I was pg at the time and she said it's fine and to go ahead, so almost certainly the medical view is that it's safe.

Beatrixpotty Wed 23-Jan-13 19:08:38

No need to have routine smears when pregnant.Pregnant women are excepted from the GP targets.Wait until you have had the baby.

CareerGirl01 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:13:24

Checked with GP, those of you who said nay were right - unless I had previous history, which i don't. Will make sure I get one 12 weeks after baby is born though!

Bejeena Thu 24-Jan-13 11:10:25

I live in Germany and went for my first check up three weeks ago (I was 7 weeks at the time) and the gynaecologist did a routine smear as part of the check up. I am confident that it must be ok at that stage otherwise he wouldn't have done it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now