Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

"So have you got the nursery sorted out yet?"

(42 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 21-Jan-13 21:08:33

Why do people keep asking me this? Does everyone else in the world have a dedicated "nursery" freshly decorated and filled with miniature furniture and Winnie the Pooh wall art?

Or is anyone else being like me and just sticking a cot in their room for 6 months or so, and then turfing the baby out to the spare room along with whatever crap paraphernalia it has accumulated by then?

MerylStrop Mon 21-Jan-13 21:11:42

You are very wise
Some people just like the displacement activity of thinking about nursery decor to take their mind off the whole birth thing.
All 3 of mine have slept in our bed room until they were 2 and 1/2 minimum. Proving we were right to paint the spare room green and buy a new double bed instead.

LoganMummy Mon 21-Jan-13 21:15:58

grin yes, I get this as well! Our plan is exactly the same as yours!

massagegirl Mon 21-Jan-13 21:16:04

I'm not going near the 'babies room' it is currently our dumping ground and will remain so, baby will be in with us then will pop it in cot in its room at later date. Really not into the idea of a immaculate nursery that will sit empty for quite a while.

eagleray Mon 21-Jan-13 21:20:56

No, me neither, but have been asked about the nursery lots of times!

There is a bedroom for the baby, but it's more for her stuff rather than for her to use (yet). Have redecorated, but only because it needed it and it's been done very neutrally.

Must say though, it's quite a large room and has been really handy to have space to sort out babygros, assemble cot and so on!

JoinTheDots Mon 21-Jan-13 21:22:46

I did mine up just a week ago. DD is 2 years and 5 months....

I was asked all the time pre-birth, and did plan to get her into her own room from 6 months, but it never happened and we were all happier this way. She got to choose her own bedding and everything smile

I think it's just a conversation filler iykwim. People have a stock of standard questions... due date.... gender.... nursery... etc. They aren't actually interested in the main, it is idle 'polite' chit chat.

In answer to your question though - no. The house is a building site, and will be until well after the baby arrives. She will be shoved in a corner, and we'll do our best not to tread on her grin

The baby will have a job getting in there, we've got to move DS out first grin

Panzee Mon 21-Jan-13 21:46:30

RueDeWakening us too! It will be a hell of a job sorting out the older one's room, it's a total junk store at the mo.
First one moved in around 8 months, got it decorated and furnished about 7 months. smile

TwitchyTail Mon 21-Jan-13 22:45:27

Phew, glad I'm not the only one grin I must literally have been asked this question ten times in the last fortnight, and when I say no, I get the Unfit Mother look.

We have three bedrooms, but the small spare is being used as my husband's Man Cave, and the big spare is set up as a guest room which we're in no hurry to re-do, or there will be nowhere for visitors to stay. There is enough space there to store baby stuff and to move the cot into, but we aren't going to decorate it in any special way.

rrreow Mon 21-Jan-13 23:19:46

DS is 20 months and we're just getting around to sorting out his room.. he's still in our room but has to move as DC2 due in June grin

The baby will be with you for first 6 months so not required.
We will be decorating and buying new (normal sized) furniture and cot because that room is currently empty bar a desk and chair. We need a chest of drawers or wardrobe for babies clothes and bits and pieces.
We need curtains etc anyway so will get some suitable for baby but not go overboard. The walls will prob be painted cream. Baby will be in there at 6 months as our bed room is tiny. If it was bigger there would be no rush but we literally have room just for a crib/Moses basket.

Startail Mon 21-Jan-13 23:49:23

DD1 only had a nursery because we had to throw the lathe and the milling machine out the box room to sell the house.

Fresh paint and the cot looked less suspicious than an unfurnished room.

Yes, it's a very presumptuous question really! However it's mostly just idle conversation. People don't know what to say so they ask the standard questions.
It's like your first trip to mothercare when you're pregnant and the onslaught of expectations that you WILL be buying a moses basket, themed/matching linen, a cot, a pram, a high chair, and any number of expensive pieces of baby "gear".

I totally had the spare room where we shoved a flat pack IKEA dresser thing, and borrowed bits and pieces of whatever else. Baby slept with us for 6 months and then lived between both rooms for the rest of the year.
It was worse with the second as his room really was the dumping ground plus a cot....

greenpostit Tue 22-Jan-13 09:15:04

I half agree with you.

I was the only one in my nct class who didn't have a nursery when the babies were born. I put the cot in our room and it didn't go out of there until it was sold!

However I did not put little dc into room filled with our paraphernalia. You have to clear the crap!

Brugmansia Tue 22-Jan-13 09:18:45

I'm due next week and no nursery here either. We currently have 2 bedrooms and DP's need for a study so he can work from home as much as possible rather than commuting for a couple of hours a day is more important than the baby having it's own room.

We're doing a loft extension shortly so will decorate a room for the baby once that's finished.

weeblueberry Tue 22-Jan-13 10:43:41

I admit we're planning our nursery but it was in large part due to the fact that our spare room had become a dumping ground and I was just looking for a reason to get rid of it all. I also didn't really fancy the idea of having to redecorate, build furniture etc with a 6 month old baby in the house. And it desperately needed redecorated so there was no way it could have been a quick 'dump a cot in the room' job.

HazleNutt Tue 22-Jan-13 10:51:30

Oh yes, I get the shock looks as well when I say that no, we're not planning to sort out the nursery until much later. First the baby will be in our room and even later we would put the bed in the guest room, but not let him or her to play in their own room alone anyway, so there's no need to fill it with sparkly bears and baby furniture. You really only need a separate room once they start accumulating too many toys and start having playdates.

Bambi86 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:52:09

The baby's room is in fact half of my DPs music room, full of guitars and recording equipment . It's pretty much split down the middle- it's not like DC will care/notice! (Of course DP won't be blasting out loud music whilst DC is in the room....!grin)

ScottishLassAboutToPass Tue 22-Jan-13 10:55:37

I'm due any day now with DD3 and she hasn't got a nursery at the moment either. None ohf my DD's have ever come home from hospital to a completed nursery. We decorated and moved DD1 into hers when she was circa 8 weeks old and DD2 got hers decorated and turfed out of our room at about 4 weeks old.

This time round we need to actually extend to accommodate DD3 so she will be in with us for approx 6 months while the building works are completed. This together with a friends baby's cot death last year means I wouldnt want her in her own nursery any earlier anyway.

I'm quite superstitious and would feel odd having a 'ready made' nursery without the safe arrival of my baby first. We have everything in the house but it's all stored out of sight in the eaves and the attic and will only come out once DD3 arrives.

BedHog Tue 22-Jan-13 10:55:57

I got this question, mainly from the older generation. We didn't know the sex of the baby so therefore it would be compulsory, apparently, to paint the room pale yellow. confused

BedHog Tue 22-Jan-13 10:59:42

Agree with ScottishLass - have any of you seen the poignant scene in the film 'Up' where they get the nursery all ready and then lose the baby? Must make it even more difficult should the worst happen.

shineypeacock Tue 22-Jan-13 12:44:47

We need to empty the spare or scare room as we call it, to get rid of loads of junk. So planning on doing that and giving it a lick of paint before the baby comes.

We only have a futon bed that we will be leaving in there so need to buy a wardrobe, chest of drawers and cot/cot bed but will do that between now and Christmas, when we see what we want in the sale !!

Baby is due 30th July and will be in with us for a while, but all other baby related stuff will be in spare room. My sister otoh who is due 3 weeks after me has already decorated a room, ordered new carpet and chosen matching baby furniture, so im guessing its each to their own.

cyclecamper Tue 22-Jan-13 13:03:44

The baby is NOT staying in our room for 6 months. There isn't room for anything larger than a moses basket in there, so 3 months is proably the limit. After that it gets the box room (often refered to as the shoe room as I used to keep my 50 pairs of shoes in there!) but it can't go in there until the elder stepson has made room in his and his girlfriend's room for my grandfather's wardrobe and I can't imagine that happening before gladys the bump has arrived! Apart from anything, big lad is in his final year at uni, so I'm trying not to put too much home pressure on him. Not buying any furniture - scrounging and making do is my policy! No decorating either - if I was going to start (which I'm not) it would be with the peeling bathroom, not the unused box room, so gladys is just going to have to manage!

HazleNutt Tue 22-Jan-13 13:04:17

Of course if you actually want to have a lovely looking nursery, you should have one, not saying ayone shouldn't.

I'm just expecting DC1, so tell me if I'm naive, but is all that nursery stuff actually necessary and useful? I don't see any reason why I should keep baby's clothes in a separate tiny wardrobe when I already have perfectly good built on wardrobes. Should I buy a special chest of drawers that looks like any other chest of drawers, just more expensive as it has hearts painted on it? I'm also pretty sure baby does not care if the curtains have bears on them or not.

So basically most stuff would not really be for the well-being of the baby, would it, it would be for the parents. I don't think I'll be a bad mother if I don't care about all that - I do care about other baby-related things, like getting a proper car seat, for example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now