Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do Braxton Hicks get stronger the more children you have?

(10 Posts)
NAR4 Mon 21-Jan-13 15:07:48

I am 36 weeks now, but had to be induced will all of my others, so don't think it is likely to be early labour. I also take ages to give birth once I go into labour (38.5 hours last time), so not at all worried I would be caught out by a quick labour and delivery.

Like Happy they are worse if I have been walking around and often cause me to have to stop until they pass.

Fingers crossed it is a sign that this time by body might manage to go into labour by itself and I won't need another induction.

All dc born at term, with straightforward normal deliveries by the way.

In my experience, yes.

I didn't experience them at all with dc1. No after pains.

Very mild occasional, mild ones towards the end with dc2. Mild after pains.

Regular ones from 20 weeks with dc3 which became quite uncomfortable towards the end. Also painful after pains, needing pain relief.

Very regular, uncomfortable ones with dc4 from about 14 weeks. Found it impossible to walk through them but they were not painful, just intense. I got checked a few times because they we coming every 15 minutes for hours at a time from 34 weeks. Really painful afterpains for days after. Needed lots of pain relief otherwise breastfeeding would have been unbearable.

Pg with dc5 now, and have experienced them from about 8 weeks. Not painful at all, but that unmistakable 'shrink wrap' feeling and I can see the outline of my uterus. It makes my heart race and I need to stop what Im doing. They stop if I rest. I'm 21 weeks now and they come if I walk too far or exhert myself too much. Doc says I have an irritable uterus.

LimeLeafLizard Mon 21-Jan-13 10:01:02

I've noticed the same thing (now pg with DC4). They only started to get painful about 36 weeks, and only 2-3 times a day, but are quite strong now, I almost need to breathe through them.

I don't remember them being at all painful in the first two pregnancies.

Very annoying as it just gives you false hope that the baby may come before the due date!

GoddessofSuburbia Mon 21-Jan-13 09:50:38

If you get them and you're not sure, call and get checked out. It's not been unknown for DP to have admitted women and given them analgesia for BH's. Sometimes the only way you can tell the difference
is that she doesn't dilate. Fifth babies tend to come quicker than first babies, too. Another good reason for getting checked if you are worried.

GoddessofSuburbia Mon 21-Jan-13 09:41:57

My partner is a midwife, he says that in his experience, Bracton Hicks can get more intense with subsequent pregnancies. Not sure if there is any evidence to support it, but the women he has looked after have been a lot more aware of them, the more babies they have.

ScottishLassAboutToPass Mon 21-Jan-13 09:34:32

I'm 40 weeks with DD3 and, for me anyway, BH have definitely increased in intensity with each pg. This time round they started from 16 weeks. From about 36 weeks they have been painful (in tears some times) and regular, but somehow you still know that they are BH and not real labour- at least I hope I'm able to when the time comes!

5th child - how lovely! Congratulations!!

LadyMargolotta Mon 21-Jan-13 09:31:50

Dehydration and urinary tract infections can both cause more Braxton hicks.

How many weeks pregnant are you? I think you should get checked out further.

emeraldgirl1 Mon 21-Jan-13 09:23:54

It's a really interesting question - I am pg with my first and was wondering if what I was having yesterday were BH or not. They were painless, so I wasn't sure! Felt like strong tightening, but with absolutely no pain at all... I thought BH had to hurt a bit, but maybe with the first pregnancy that's not true? Would be really interested to know, am not trying to hijack your post OP!!! If you're on your 5th (am impressed!) and they're hurting more then maybe you're right that more pregnancies mean more pain?

NAR4 Mon 21-Jan-13 07:43:49

Just wanted to know other peoples experience really. I'm pregnant with my 5th child and have been getting some very strong Braxton Hicks recently, which have been waking me up at night and making sleeping through them impossible.

I know after pains hurt more with each child so was wondering if Braxton Hicks also tend to hurt more with each child. My midwife said she doesn't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now