Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting posted to Brize Norton when 35 weeks

(8 Posts)
Kateplusbump Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:48

Hey I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and DH is in the Raf. We are at Lossiemouth at that mo but are getting posted to Brize Norton in the first week of May. My first worry is having to drive 10 hours down to Brize on my own when I will be 35 weeks (we have two cars). My second worry is registering with a midwife and hospital at Brize. Wondering if I could do this in advance over the phone? I might need to have a c-section due to a low lying placenta so would like to get it sorted ASAP. Also do I go to Oxford or Swindon hospital?? Getting stressed just thinking about it! Any advice would be most welcome! X

CuppaSarah Sat 19-Jan-13 09:38:58

You have my sympathies moving so far into pregnancy!!
If you're getting a removals team to help shift your stuff, maybe you ask one of the movers to drive your car for you? You might have to pay a little, but I've found most removal people are always keen to be as helpfull as possible.

As for Antenatal care, best thing to do is find what will be your local Gp give them a call and see if they can get you in touch with who will be your midwife. Even if she can't get you on the books you can give her an idea of what your care will be like and let her know about low laying placenta as early as possible.

Try not to stress(easily said), just be proud of the fact you're doing two of the most difficult things you can do so close together, that makes you bloody superwoman!!! Who else can say they moved across the entire country at 35 weeks?!?! Think of the bragging rightswink

Bigpickles2012 Sat 19-Jan-13 09:47:51

Hello! I live near Brize. I'm not RAF but if I can help in anyway feel free to PM me. I had my little boy at Oxford. I think most people round here do. Can't offer any advice on the driving I'm afraid.

I have just moved at 36 weeks from Germany back to the UK. My husband is army. My little one is almost 3 weeks old now.

This was my fourth child and had to be a planned section due to various issues. The removal men were fabulous and very helpful. I did let them pack everything apart from very personal things and they did a great job, we also used the march out cleaners. Well worth the money and my midwife said I'd be ill advised to do anything differently. I would suggest the same. The move made real use of the nesting instinct (all unpacked within a day) and given that I usually have really low blood pressure (fainting all over the place) raised it enough so I didn't pass out as much smile if you are worried about driving then could a family member help or get your husband to drive one down and go back for the other one.

As for Brize most people are housed all over Oxfordshire and Wiltshire as it is very full and there is a shortage in the area. When you have got a quarter contact your local GPs and speak to the midwife about the area. Swindon/ Great Western Hospital is very used to dealing with the forces and has one of the highest birth rates in the country due to that fact, they are very used to people moving during pregnancy.

All the best with your move, I found arranging it all stressful but once the removals had turned up and the week of the move relatively less stressful.

Yorky Sat 19-Jan-13 10:04:20

DD1 was born at Brize (4yrs ago) but we moved when she was 3 wks old.
There is a MW who does regular clinics at the med centre on base, but I suppose that will depend where you get a quarter. The local community MWs also did a drop in clinic every afternoon at Witney - don't know if this is still the case but it was a great way for me to meet them all before HB
Is it worth you moving down a few weeks ahead of DH starting work? Do you have a friend or family member who could do the drive with you then train/fly back where they came from?
Your hospital will almost certainly be the John Radcliffe in Oxford, or there is a MLU in Chipping Norton.
Good luck

Missingthemincepies Sat 19-Jan-13 13:48:04

I'm sure the maternity aspect will be easily sorted. Maybe ask your consultant/mw/gp to send a letter to the local team in advance. Your handheld notes will obtain pretty much anything you need.

As for the drive, 10 hours is a long way. Do you have any friends on route so you could do it in 2-3 days? Think the idea of paying a removal man to drive it is very good. Don't know if you've got a bump belt but they do help hugely with comfort, especially on a longer journey.

Good luck. It'll be v hard but MUCH MUCH easier than moving with a newborn.

Kateplusbump Sat 19-Jan-13 17:05:32

Thanks everyone for the great advice, will get organising straight away! Just heard that we will be living on base so that will probably make things easier. Will be using march out cleaners for sure- it will be worth the money. Also think we will split the journey and stop overnight at a hotel.

Thanks ladies xx

WTActualF Sun 20-Jan-13 16:56:29

What about investigating the cost of getting your car transported on the back of a low loader? My DH bought a car in London and got it home to Scotland that way, although not as far north as Lossiemouth. It would mean that you could travel with your DH and not worry about driving at all. Hope your move goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now