Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Been advised to prepare for poss premature birth... Any tips?

(169 Posts)
10storeylovesong Wed 16-Jan-13 10:28:52

Hi, I'm currently 24 weeks and due to various issues have been advised that I'm at high risk of going into premature labour. I've been put on bed rest and going for steroid injections tomorrow, but just wondering if there's any advice anyone can give me?

I've bought a few bits for the baby - I have a Moses basket and a starter set with bottles and a steriliser. Not even started with the nursery or anything yet. I'm going to get a hospital bag together but wondering what other essentials I should get just in case?

Thanks

Great to hear that the days are being ticked off.

TomDudgeon Wed 23-Jan-13 10:48:37

Just wanted to add another reassuring story
I bled thought my pregnancy with dd (dc3) Heavy bright bleeding. I could sit on the loo and the blood flowing out would sound like I was weeing. Sadly I lost her twin at 11 weeks.
At around 24 weeks they decided to admit me as then as that counts as viability.
I was still bleeding, losing huge clots and my waters started leaking.
It was stressful not just because of worrying about her but I also had a 19 mth and a just 3 year old at home.
I had the jabs and they transferred me to a hospital with a earlier stage NICU miles from my family and then back to another one nearer home. I made it to 27+ when she was born by crash section and given 5% chance of survival.
She's now a happy and healthy 6 yet old with no physical problems and though she's not the most academic and is definitely behind for her age she will be ok and will manage a decent enough education.
I thought might story might ring some bells for you and help add to the other reassuring stories on here. We all know that things could not be the happy ending but if we don't have hope we have nothing.

TomDudgeon Wed 23-Jan-13 10:52:53

As for practical tips
Pack yourself a normal hospital bag
Maybe order some nappies and some small and soft. It feels good to leave them something. Other than that worry about the rest later. Other people can pick you up what you need when you need it and the hospital will lend you anything you need to start with.
Oh an I've had dc4 since at term, as a vbac. Worry about the future as is happens, for now take care of yourself and do as little as possible (especially if your waters are leaking)

Tiredtrout Thu 24-Jan-13 13:01:58

How are you today?

10storeylovesong Thu 24-Jan-13 15:04:20

I'm ok thanks. 25 weeks today - so another week ticked off! Just feel like I'm sat around waiting for something that I have no idea when or how will happen.

Tiredtrout Thu 24-Jan-13 16:30:22

That's good, longer your sat bored the better!

lotsofcheese Thu 24-Jan-13 19:23:34

Great news you've made it to 25 weeks - every day inside counts!!

I can sympathise with your "timebomb" feelings - I'm also at risk of another premature birth & counting the days. One day at a time!!

10storeylovesong Tue 29-Jan-13 11:30:40

lotsofcheese fingers crossed your little one stays put as well!

we've finally had some good news! The baby's growing well, slightly above average, and the bleed has shrunk by about 4cms so they think that it's reabsorbing into placenta which is great news. Got another scan in 2 weeks to check on it again and still not out of the woods, but fingers crossed its not looking as serious as it was.

25+5 today.

LaVitaBellissima Tue 29-Jan-13 11:39:25

Good luck 10, I had Identical twin girls at 34 &3 and was incredibly lucky that we were out after 5 nights.

Will be thinking positive thoughts for you, I'd definitely go for Chinese! Nothing spicy though as I'm convinced that I went into labour after eating Jamie Oliver's spicy chilli mushroom recipe!

That's good news! I'm booked in for a cs on Friday, so after all these
months worrying about him being prem we have no reached the point where they are going in to get him out!

10storeylovesong Tue 29-Jan-13 11:54:26

How far along are you moomin? I'll be made up if we get to that point!

That's great to hear lavita - sounds like your girls were little fighters!

I'll be 38+2 on Friday, I have a hip to hip cs scar from my emcs with ds3 but because i have an incompetent cervix they said I could try a vbac.

They've decided I'm at the point now where it would be dangerous for me to attempt vbac as the baby is bigger, so think it's safer to deliver this week because when labour starts I could be really quick.

This is ds5 and my only term baby was ds1 who weighed 11lb 2

10storeylovesong Sun 10-Feb-13 06:49:36

Sebastian Michael, 2 lb 3 oz of perfection made a dramatic entrance to the world at 19.58 hrs on Saturday 9th February 2013. He is on the NICU ward and doing well, in fact they have had to give him morphine to make him sleep as he was fighting against the ventilator to breath for himself when they want him to have air for a few days. The doctors are saying he is not acting at all like a 27 weeker and hope we may be able to hold him in a few days if he continues doing as well. He is absolutely gorgeous with a mop of jet black hair (a surprise as we're both blonde!).

I'm doing ok. I had to have surgery to remove the placenta as it was attached to the side but aside from a few aches and pains am feeling physically ok. I'm going to try and sleep now so I can be up bright and early to see him again.

Thanks for all your support - it has meant a lot.

Napsalot Sun 10-Feb-13 07:43:13

Congratulations! Welcome to the world baby Sebastian! Well done on making it to 27 weeks. Hope you are getting some rest.

Kveta Sun 10-Feb-13 07:50:25

Congratulations, he sounds fantastic smile

FairyJen Sun 10-Feb-13 07:56:45

Congratulations and gorgeous name!

Well done you as now get lots of rest!!!!

FairyJen Sun 10-Feb-13 07:57:03

* and get lots of rest blush

Tiredtrout Sun 10-Feb-13 07:58:22

Congratulations, so glad you're both doing well

giraffesCantEatNHSPotatoes Sun 10-Feb-13 08:04:24

Congratulations!!! :-)

CelticPromise Sun 10-Feb-13 08:09:44

Congratulations 10Storey on the birth of your little boy. So glad he's doing well.

NICU is a tough journey so make sure you look after yourself. I hope you're getting plenty of support. Are you expressing? Hope you get to hold him soon, skin to skin is good for both of you. I remember the first time I held my 27 weeker like it was yesterday. Just wanted to add as well it's perfectly possible to hold him while he's ventilated, so don't be afraid to ask.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Wereonourway Sun 10-Feb-13 08:14:48

Congratulations ten storey( love your username).
Little Sebastian will get stronger every day I'm sure.
Take care of yourself and rest as much as possible x

Kt8791 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:16:46

Many congratulations:-)

10storeylovesong Sun 10-Feb-13 08:19:53

Thanks everyone.

celtic I'm hoping to express but due to the surgery and the late hour yesterday midwives said they'll speak to me about it today. We keep getting told it's a day at a time and I know it's going to be so hard, but at the minute I'm just relieved he's doing well today.

lotsofcheese Sun 10-Feb-13 08:25:18

Just wanted to add my congratulations!! What a lovely name. And a good weight too.

As others have pointed out, NICU is a real roller coaster. Please keep posting for support.

Sending your wee man love & strength xx

FairyJen Sun 10-Feb-13 08:26:52

Make sure you get lots of pics as well Ot helpe me get through the night havin pics to look at and also nicu will let you call down at any time to get updates if your a worrier like me! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now