Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 3

(1000 Posts)
eagleray Mon 14-Jan-13 20:38:19

We've run out of space so here's a new thread so we can support each other and talk about the trials, tribulations and utter joy at being pregnant at 40+

All new members welcome smile

scarecrow22 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:19:46

first night went really well. - itching, snoring neighbour and wired feeling meant got c 3 hours max doze, but babyScarecrow was good as gold and is a total munchkin smile
I had him yesterday after cs was brought forward because diagnosed with Obstetric Coleostasis, liver problem which is poss linked to full term stillbirth. My hospital have v cautious policy on it. importantly I had no itching on palms and soles of feet - the normal key symptom, but mw took extra blood tests because I was so severely itchy every where else - I dud have it so this is worth bearing n mind if you get a lot of itching (mine was all over arms, legs and torso and by end up neck and on breasts too). Also prob explains why I felt so sick for last month or two. I just wanted to alert other pg ladies.
ok, back to gazing at my boy before world wakes smile

JBrd Wed 10-Apr-13 09:36:46

scarecrow Poor you, that sounds incredibly stressful! But thankfully, they picked it up and acted on it!
How are you feeling now (apart from the whole birthing thing, obviously grin ) ? Will they have to monitor you closely because of the OC, or will they let you go home soon?
Gaze as much as you can, it's the best smile

scarecrow22 Wed 10-Apr-13 11:40:26

I actually felt really well looked after so huge reduction in stress. tbh was ready to have him! oF should go on it's own now. lost a fair bit of blood again - 1.5lit - but haemoglobin count was v g after so seem to be recovering well. Was up a lot last night, poss too much, but good to be mobile so quickly.
Kingston hospital really us fantastic imo: feel v well looked after. Def best of NHS smile

Greenwitch7 Wed 10-Apr-13 17:08:03

congratulations to all who posted good news haven't been on internet much,too sick,going for acupuncture tomorrow,been really down as can't do much,on bit of house arrest,can m,ake iit to local shops some days or take dd out for tiny walk but once a day for half an hour is all can manage, am only 8 weeks and look 12

BadMissM Thu 11-Apr-13 18:13:41

Glad to hear all going better Scarecrow and that Baby S is doing well!

cyclecamper know the short body-boobs combo issue!!!

Dothestrand Welcome!!! waves

Scarecrow I am a sad old Goth, which dates me..... I keep trying to embrace colours, but never quite manage it!

Somewhere My GP now backing me for an ELCS at 38 weeks...so we'll see! Carmen becomes Zatanna by using the bodystocking and adding jackets and details and boots! I just thought, can't hide bump without looking porky, so might as well flaunt it!

Waves to Animol and JBrd

Animol I had DD in France...system different there too!

Had another scan today...all fine, but consultant absent again! Grrr!

somewherebecomingrain Thu 11-Apr-13 20:34:46

badmissm congrats on your Likely ELCS - this is brilliant news hon xxxxx

DoTheStrand Thu 11-Apr-13 21:41:42

Well, I'm afraid I may have the dubious honour of the shortest visit to your lovely thread as after last Saturday's positive pregnancy test I started bleeding properly today so I think that is it for me. I feel a bit sad but (a) I know it is nothing compared to what a lot of people go through and (b) I had had some spotting since almost immediately after I posted on here on Saturday, so I am not surprised.

My two previous miscarriages were around the 8-10 week mark so I was expecting to have a nervous wait until 12 weeks but not for it to go wrong quite so soon. I guess that is one of the risks I knew I'd be taking trying for another at my age.

Still I am v determined and I will take heart from all of your stories - so hopefully you will see me back here in a month or two. DH is away with work so I am going to check on my two gorgeous boys then retire to bed with a box of Choco Leibniz biscuits and my iPad and watch Dr Who on iPlayer.

Good luck all of you and hopefully I will be back soon smile

JBrd Thu 11-Apr-13 22:24:07

DoTheStrand Oh hun, so sorry to hear that, what a shame! Be kind to yourself and take it easy. When is your DH back? Do you have anyone there in RL for some support?

I'm also a bit confused at the moment - I started spotting today, and am having to try quite hard not to freak out at the moment. It's not a lot, and it's calmed down again (I think), and it's brown. So it could all be perfectly normal, but I can't help thinking that this is exactly how is started with my mc... Even down to the same time, just under 8 weeks. It's difficult not to draw the parallels!
But nothing really that can be done right now, either - I will have to wait & see. Nothing the EPU would do right now could reassure me, so I need to wait.
Going to my SIL's wedding tomorrow, I really hope it'll all calm down again. Really really could do without all this sad

DoTheStrand Thu 11-Apr-13 22:36:52

Thanks JBrd, that is really sweet of you. I am ok, DH is back tomorrow and I had also told my lovely local best friend (also a 40+TTC-er) who has been great today.

I really hope your spotting stops, it is so worrying isn't it. Hopefully it will just be one of those unexplained things. I bled on and off throughout one pregnancy (brown, red, pink, you name it). I was constantly having scans and each time the baby was fine, just bobbing about oblivious to the trouble he was causing. That baby is now 3.9 and snoring gently in the next room. I'll be keeping everything crossed for you that you get a similar outcome. flowers

notsoold Thu 11-Apr-13 22:55:59

Dothe strand....sorry for your news.sad
I hope to see you back here really soon. Take care of yourself. Hugs and my hand offered to you

Jbrd hun it must be very stressful and I offer my ( other) hand to you....xxx

BadMissM Thu 11-Apr-13 23:01:27

Dothestrand So sorry to hear that honey....but keep trying. I MC'd twins at 43, then finally got a BFP at 45.

JBrd Fingers and toes crossed for you xxxx I had bleeding early on with DD (now 14).

Still trying to decide on a name.... still no nearer!

Animol Fri 12-Apr-13 17:39:45

Oh so sorry to hear your news dothestrand

thinking of you jbird

I know exactly what names I want - not sure if I'll be able to convince DH though ;-)

notsoold Fri 12-Apr-13 23:26:51

Jbrd hope you are ok....

Dothestrand xxxxx thinking of you...

I had my 12 weeks scan today and NT was 1.4mm. They said it was very good but my age will raise the number won't it??? I am 41....

Very happy though as I was very worried and concerned . DH went with me because( normally I am not needy) I was stressing about going to the same hospital as last year when I had the mmc.

Xxxx to all

BadMissM Sat 13-Apr-13 16:29:44

Gosh it's been quiet on here... Have been slightly freaked out today by the fact that someone I'm talking to on the July Antenatal group has just given birth...at home in her bathroom at 2am, with a baby that's over three months early.... He weighed only 1lb, and the quick thinking of her OH probably saved her baby's life...

I thought I was early before with DD at 31 weeks.... but at 27! Eep!

notsoold Sun 14-Apr-13 14:34:04

Badmiss....wow that is a scary thought!!!

I reread my last post and it sounda awful!!! I meant that my need for dh there was regarding going to the same hospital as last year. It was not about having a scan= being needy and I hope I have not offended anybody!!!

Xxxx

blueeyes1970 Sun 14-Apr-13 15:28:46

Hi folks
Back again (2nd posting - joined in Feb - EDD 8th July), sad to see some sad stories, reassured to see lively postings. Our 20week scan (mid Feb) all was fine. Have a growth scan next Friday - wish us luck. I'm still "High Risk T21 1:51" but for me, I'm being an optimist and seeing the glass as 98% full. I finished my 2yr 3 week contract at end March, doing freelance fun but very badly paid work (arts sector, what do you expect), but glad not to be commuting 3 hours by train every day. Feeling hugely energised by not have to travel to work - except I got a bit over excited Friday, went to a gig, Saturday up super early, housecleaning, music listening, 1 hour cycle, met friends for lunch, cooked for other friends (just a pot of casserole)... and today I'm floored! How late are any of you planning to work? I have heard of a fab 10-day event contract but it ends during week 36.

sparklysapphire Sun 14-Apr-13 20:35:18

Notsoold, great news about the scan, I hope you can relax a bit now.
JBrd, I hope the spotting proves to be nothing, but understand how worrying it is.
Dothestrand, sorry for news, but its good to see you are staying positive, & hope to see you back here soon.
MissM, that's a really scary story about the lady having her baby at home at 27 weeks. You must be pleased that your GP is on your side for an ELCS.
Scarecrow, what a good thing your hospital picked up the OC & were able to deliver your DS safely & healthily. Hope you are both doing ok.
Hello to everyone else, I'm trying to post on my phone on train coming home from work. It's my 20 week scan tomorrow so very much hoping all will be well.

Blueberry68 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:05:52

Hi everyone can I join? Am 44 eek nearly 45 & am 7 weeks preggy - decided might like one more - one night & bam preggy - am in shock alternating between abject terror & being excited! Really worried about health of baby & impact on 2 dd age 8 & 10!

JBrd Sun 14-Apr-13 23:37:21

Notsoold fab news about your scan, that is great! From what I know, your NT measurement is very good - did you get the blood test as well? I don't know how exactly they calculate the combined risk, but I think that a good NT measurements and good blood values weigh massively against the age...

I'm trying to hold it together at the moment, but it's not looking good... The spotting has turned into bleeding, which has increased steadily over the last few days. Had very bad cramping and back pain today, and have started seeing some bright red blood. It's all exactly how it went with my mc, and I don't hold a lot of hope anymore sad Will call the EPU tomorrow and see what they say.

notsoold Mon 15-Apr-13 00:07:17

Jbrd....I have been thinking of you and thought that your silence had been the wedding.
Poor you for all this stress!!! I am keeping everything crossed for you and I hope that talking to someone at the EPU will help flowers
Xxxx

JBrd Mon 15-Apr-13 09:52:29

Spoke to the EPU, they want to monitor it for a few more days - booked me in for a scan on Thursday. It's just wait & see now hmm

notsoold Mon 15-Apr-13 12:07:19

fingers and everything crossed for you hun xxx

BadMissM Mon 15-Apr-13 17:28:41

Waves to Blueeyes. Hmm., arts work was a luxury I kind of had to give up after I had DD...years of badly paid work with weird hours!

Waves to Sparkly Hope the scan went well today xxx

Waves welcome to Blueberry68!! My gap even bigger...DD is 14!

Notsoold Scan sounds great...don't know much about NT though, my trust still doesn't do it (!) Don't be daft about offending anyone re the hospital... it was the same for me, I MMC'd twins in 2011, and have had to go to the same hospital, which wasn't pleasant. My DH has been to all the appts with me because I don't want to be pushed around by them any more, and they listen to him more than me...

JBrd Hang on in there, sending love and hugs xxxx

Me... hanging on in here, 26 weeks. Still trying to get stuff done (house a pigpen), and still trying to get to see consultant to sort ELCS....

Blueberry68 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:51:46

Hi BadMissM
Terrible day here - hormones going mad - very tearful DP away with work & feel so anxious - haven't told anyone yet re pregnancy.... Must try to focus on positives but feel terrified 😔

iclaudius Tue 16-Apr-13 17:40:18

Hello all bit of a lurker here.
Do the strand sorry about your news your posts always cheered me up as reminded me of Brian ferry( really shows age)
Hope you are bearing up. I suffered no less than 5 early miscarriages at different stages before my baby who is 13 months ( me age 44) and then fell pg again when baby was 7 months ( 45) so there is hope!

This thread is not accepting new messages.