Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 3

(1000 Posts)
eagleray Mon 14-Jan-13 20:38:19

We've run out of space so here's a new thread so we can support each other and talk about the trials, tribulations and utter joy at being pregnant at 40+

All new members welcome smile

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:42:10

somewhere my date (17th) right - unless freak happens and baby appears sooner. I'm def an ELCS though, assuming I get that far!

Interesting about the thread history. Perhaps Eagle should be the Fab 40s Official Historian smile Were any of you ladies on the first (pre No 1) thread? I joined about half way (or more) through thread No 1 (ie 2nd)...

Right, got 19 more mins to myself today before DD let loose (DH working. A-flippin'-gain hmm)

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Apr-13 08:43:22

PS sounds like you re right about Side Effects if that is plot. Disappointing politically, but I guess makes better cinema than a Ben Goldacre column!

somewherebecomingrain Mon 01-Apr-13 10:54:59

Aah scarecreow am hooked up to a ctg and babies heart rate a touch fast but when I saw the Ben gold acre comment I laughed and the heart rate went down.

yup eagle 3 days. This is almost certainly why heart rate was up - my heart is racing! Having so many dreams about little girls. Going into that strange headspace! Hope you getting some sleep on your holiday and glad your purge cleared up.

somewherebecomingrain Mon 01-Apr-13 10:55:56

Lurgy not purge

somewherebecomingrain Mon 01-Apr-13 11:15:47

Anyway social skills somewhere, social
Skills!

scarecroq how u feeling? Kind of in between? Close yet far?

eaglr has the Lurgy gone? How is bf going? Are you sleeping a bit?

Xxx

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Apr-13 13:11:16

glad to be of assistance. though concerned for you - is ctg routine part of diabetes test, or is there another concern? please send news when you are ready.

tbh am feeling in limbo a bit - am not getting any help from DH, who working and escaping us, and says things like u warned you it would be like this and when u asked for a small lie in he replied "what have toy done to deserve a lie in"? as a result still exhausted to point feeling perm suck and Gerri f a but overwhelmed by how unprepared I am and by fact my previous maternity leave is slipping away in a blur of toddler care and nausea and feeling rather sad about my marriage. sorry if tmi - that' ll learn you for asking wink

going to have a snooze now but v much hope all okay with hospital tests and will eagerly check for reassuring updates soon.

in interests of balance, dd is being a total poppet - fun, chatty, amenable...dream dd grin

eagleray Mon 01-Apr-13 13:51:29

Big hugs for somewhere and scarecrow I was never off the bloody ctg thing in final days - bp and fetal heart rate all over the place, but always settling after period of time hooked up to machines.

On motorway returning from hols at the mo - nice time but v v cold. Health nearly back to normal now, thank goodness. However, baby eagle has developed bright red cheeks and looks like she's been living at altitude. Not sure what cause is.

Sorry for lack of sympathy from dh scarecrow - hope you are getting some rest now.

eagleray Mon 01-Apr-13 13:55:43

Sorry would like to write more lengthy meaningful things but am in car and DP rabbiting on and on and am typing on phone x

notsoold Mon 01-Apr-13 14:51:57

Heeelllooo there!!
Happy ( belated) Easter...

Somewhere and scarecrow....you two are doing so well in keeping it together!!! I felt like a serial killer looking for a prey ( mainly dh or dm or df or anybody really) from the 39week , so brownies for being good.

Scarecrow sorry for your oh!!! Xxxx

Somewhere I had a reason to be quiet as family came to see us.

It was wonderful to see db and sil and my gorgeous nephew over Easter, but very tiring as we did nothing but to cook and eat.
We told them and our dcs on Saturday as dd came to be with us and we wanted for all to know about this pregnancy on person and not over the phone.
I hope ( sounds silly I know) I have not jinxed the whole thing.
Dh says that the scan at 9weeks was good and every so often I feel quite queasy for a hour or so, but I can not be rational about it!!!
But today I woke up feling so tired that when family went back to London dh send me to bed and today is a lazy day as I am shattered and unable to concentrate...
Jbrd hope you are well xxx
Love and kisses to all and chocolate as well smile

knickyknocks Mon 01-Apr-13 15:04:59

Am having fun with my phone so apologies if this posts twice- I can't get onto the desktop site at the moment. Bloody blackberry phones.

somewhere!! Look at you top of the list! Agree with scarecrow - why the CTG? All ok love?
And how's this for weird...Had the most peculiar dream last night with you and scarecrow...we all went on a shopping trip round selfridges! I have no idea what either of you looked like, but I know I met my 2 friends called scarecrow and somewhere and we came out with bags of clothes....
scarecrow so sorry to hear about DH. Errr...you need a lie in because you're heavily pregnant?! God I wish blokes could experience pregnancy even for just one day. They truly have NO idea. Anyone else who can give an offering hand? If I hadn't just had baby KK, I'd be round to help you in a nanosecond. Give it a week or so and if you still need help, I'm happy to offer a hand.
I think sadly most men just don't get it, particularly on subsequent babies. I certainly think my DH was far more helpful in DD pregnancy than this time round. Much sympathy. That nausea must be hellish too XX
BMM you have so much going on yet give this aura of being able to cope with whatever life throws at you. Amazing. That said, I hope life starts to settle soon particularly with regard to DH's ex. XX

knickyknocks Mon 01-Apr-13 15:04:59

Am having fun with my phone so apologies if this posts twice- I can't get onto the desktop site at the moment. Bloody blackberry phones.

somewhere!! Look at you top of the list! Agree with scarecrow - why the CTG? All ok love?
And how's this for weird...Had the most peculiar dream last night with you and scarecrow...we all went on a shopping trip round selfridges! I have no idea what either of you looked like, but I know I met my 2 friends called scarecrow and somewhere and we came out with bags of clothes....
scarecrow so sorry to hear about DH. Errr...you need a lie in because you're heavily pregnant?! God I wish blokes could experience pregnancy even for just one day. They truly have NO idea. Anyone else who can give an offering hand? If I hadn't just had baby KK, I'd be round to help you in a nanosecond. Give it a week or so and if you still need help, I'm happy to offer a hand.
I think sadly most men just don't get it, particularly on subsequent babies. I certainly think my DH was far more helpful in DD pregnancy than this time round. Much sympathy. That nausea must be hellish too XX
BMM you have so much going on yet give this aura of being able to cope with whatever life throws at you. Amazing. That said, I hope life starts to settle soon particularly with regard to DH's ex. XX

BadMissM Mon 01-Apr-13 19:37:07

somewhere DD is ace usually. Though currently have four of her squeaky friends on a sleepover...much meeping at dinner! She is quite mature for her gae, but does have teenage 'moments'....

Cyclecamper Brave, camping in this weather and in this...condition! Was even having concerns about camping in first few months with LO....

Scarecrow DD is fab, but she makes me laugh so much! Wish all the outside crap WOULD go away...still not had a date back for my tribunal either....

Somewhere I am the oldest now (gulp). You must be getting excited (nervous)!!!

Scarecrow Not so far for you either!!!! Sorry to hear that your mat leave is not all you hoped for with a toddler and an unco-operative DH....

Eagle Glad you had nice hols, despite the chills and the lurgy!!!

Notsoold Glad the telling everyone went alright.... we told close family (Mine and Dh's DCs) at about that time and everyone else a bit later....but sometimes you have to just seize the moment. I had to tell my Dad in the middle of the train station, which wasn't ideal....

Knicky Not through choice, I wish it would all just stop happening, but I do have the kind of life that constantly throws crap at me... and with DD on my own for years, just had to cope.... unusual for me to have someone to share the burden with, now I have DH...

Have house full of squeaky teens (DD's sleepover), and actually managed to buy the paint for LO's room today....

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Apr-13 19:50:27

knicky, you are a lovely person. I felt better just reading your messages.
somewhere, keen to hear you are okay, though reassured you are at least in hospital if anytging worryibg has cropped up.
lively to hear from BadNess, NotSo and Eagle.
excuse awful typos in earlier message. we phone cheap but (therefore) harder write on.

somewherebecomingrain Mon 01-Apr-13 20:32:25

Hi there

Thanks for wishes!!!!am most excited.

scarecrow it's cause the extra amniotic fluid can distress the baby but my baby isn't distressed according to the ctg. there are so many reasons you can end your pg hooked up to the ctg as eagle says. I haven't had the result of my GTT test yet but they did find glucose in my urine today despite a three day sugar free low gi diet (which has nonetheless correlated with me feeling much more comfy belly-wise) so it looks likely it could be that. Still worried but less so.

You Dh - doesn't he realise what a gem of a woman he's got? What a out your bread winning during pregnancy? Bit cross on your behalf. On the other hand have been through these strange male lapses in imagination and empathy myself - think we all have - and sympathise whilst also being sure the two of you will be fine. Hugs.

eagle your holiday sounds lovely - the breast feeding on the beach with icicles behind you was frankly poetic. I'm overweight too and want to lose after the birth - am gonna try the 5:2 diet unless I am deluded about how much I can control things.

knicky amazing dream sounds great!!

I am being dragged off this post by dp who wants to crank up box set and is getting cross with me will reply in ore details soon waves badmiss

somewherebecomingrain Mon 01-Apr-13 20:35:32

Sorry bollocksy rushed post - dp's fault

scarecrow22 Mon 01-Apr-13 20:56:06

yes, Knicky, also loving dream grin not shopped for an age. unless you count my so far fruitless hunt for Lansinoh nipple cream?

eagleray Mon 01-Apr-13 22:17:50

Somewhere - glad everything is ok - hope my post didn't sound to blase about your CTG - was so used to having them in the final days/weeks but forgot you have the amniotic fluid issue. I haven't heard of the 5:2 diet (googles) oh gosh that one! Yes that seems to have worked well for people I know who've tried it - wonder if it would work with BF? Have to admit, I thought losing weight would be a doddle after birth due to BF and also because I'm having a break from my weight-increasing medication that I normally take. How wrong I was! Haven't lost a single ounce since two weeks after the birth. Mind you, I have been reminded by DP that I have been stuffing my face, so going to cut out the crap this week, and if that doesn't work, I will do weightwatchers for a little while.

Scarecrow - wish I could throw you my spare Lansinoh tube! Have you not found any in Boots? So sorry your DH is being so rubbish - you really don't deserve this. Glad your DD is so lovely though to help redress the balance - you are making me look forward to toddlerhood with Baby E although I guess you reap what you sow and you are obviously a very lovely mummy!

Notsoold - that's great that you've told your family the good news. Please forgive my wonky memory but I vaguely recall from ages ago that you are Brazilian? Just curious as I tend to remember random snippets of information about people!

Badmiss - ooh paint for the baby room!

Cyclecamper - ye frickin' gods re the camping (unless you live in a hot country). You would be very impressed with my travel cot - looks exactly like a miniature tent Baby E refuses point blank to sleep in it but that's beside the point

cyclecamper Mon 01-Apr-13 22:33:20

Eagle we were camping near Ross on Wye. The camping was lovely but the drive has me feeling absolutely awful so I'm going to bed now.

Waves at everyone again and will try to be more with it tomorrow!

somewherebecomingrain Tue 02-Apr-13 09:27:00

scarecrwo I seem to remember feeling similar at about where you were - dp at mil's all weekend and working in week, no help at all, it was a killer. Can you sleep while dd watches telly? I meant to say I deeply sympathise, not merely sympathise. I do find that the last month of leave disappears in a puff of meaninglessness because I'm so incapable of achieving but that's me. Anyway big hugs - you deserve better, and I'm sure it will improve.

eagle not trivialising I'm quite blasé about the ctg cause so many and they've all been fine. They have said come in if movt changes in the sternest tones but actually since I low sugard movt has picked up and it's only 2 days to go, im not being left to go overdue, and I can manage that mentally. Not blasé overall but not panicking.

Why weight gain meds and now want to lose weight? 5:2 diet could be a fantasy for a greedy guts like me but gonna try - v intrigued. Lots of threads about it on mums net.

badmiss I'm so sorry about the court stuff. So not going away. I hope your crazy Easter weekend was ok and the in laws were reasonable company?

* knicky* maybe one day that dream can be reality.smilethose were the days eh self ridges - I once actually did go there as a single gal. Analysing it - soz can't help myself- I'd say the bags of clothes are the babies and selfridges is the hosp. But also about life beyond babies.

Xxx

Animol Tue 02-Apr-13 18:10:05

Hello Ladies -can I join in please? I'm 42 and I'll be 43 by November if all goes well and Dc5 arrives. I'm really chuffed that we've managed it (DC4 is nearly 6) but a bit terrified too - and obviously sick and tired cos of morning sickness. I know about the risks of abnormalities but do I need to worried about other things too? I'm a bit worried about people's reactions when we start telling them - most people assumed we'd finished increasing the size of our family long ago!!

scarecrow22 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:47:26

animol - welcome welcome! you are very much in the right place to share the wise of nausea/ sickness, tiredness and later an array of unwanted symptoms. and to share some hilariously inappropriate reactions smile Mind you I dint think I'm mispeaking when I say most if us have mostly enjoyed friends' and families' joy and support. there are exceptions - but also at every age. given it sounds Luke you and OH are delighted, it sounds like a really wonderful experience and much wanted Lo so congratulations thanks
when you ready, would love to have a little more on ages of other DCs. so I can marvel at anybody coping with more than two!

had horrible experience today: broke down on M3 ( front tyre shredded) - just me and DD and we waited nearly 2 hours while I fought back ( hormonal no doubt) tears of worry that a lorry would plough into us. luckily rescuean and tyre shop were super kind and went out of their way to help. DD was an angel at the time, despite being stuck in car seat with almost no sleep.for over 3 hours. anyway, one and safe and finally coming back to normal now SAfely in bed and I've had vanishingly hot Thai curry.

sparkly, hope holiday going or went well. v keen to know how it went and thinking of you lots.

somewhere hope today less drama. are you booked for Thurs? am nervous for you...

waves all xxx

somewherebecomingrain Wed 03-Apr-13 09:20:18

Hey scarecrow sound bloody awful! More proof of your ds's excellent character but bloody hell. As if life isn't complicated enough.

Yes booked for Thursday. Ie tomorrow. Ie today is last day. Not feeling As excited as I was - rather anxious and breathless - maybe just another 'phase'. When I'm in the hosp I will be beside myself with anticipation. My default is to trust doctors and hospitals - my dad was one, a baby doc in fact - and I feel at ease with the environment. Baby moving well, am sure my excess fluid is a sugar thing (they found glucose in my urine).

I have been given half a day to myself now as my dp and mil have gone out househunting with ds. Going to sleep now. Run out of floradix and I have to say I'm feeling it.

Brain total jelly - memory is terrible. But I do know I ve got what I need for the baby. That, I guess, is baby brain.

Very much looking forward to having my body back being able to lift things, swim, pick up ds, tidy quickly rather than at snails pace. Very much hope I get my brain back too. On that note I will end my AFM section which is a bit of a brainless blab.

notsoold so pleased you are still around and that telling family went so well. I will lurk and follow your progress xxx

jbrd sparkly cheese whatsup?

animol welcome just as I leave! This thread has been an absolute life saver the support has been incredible. Stick around and I'll see u in November on the graduates thread!

Hugs to all

Xxx

somewherebecomingrain Wed 03-Apr-13 09:22:33

notsoold grin at feeling like a serial killer. I DO know exactly what you mean. PG makes me mental. But I will have the brownie.

No jinx I'm sure xxxxx

notsoold Wed 03-Apr-13 10:15:42

somewhere 1 more sleep girl, 1 more sleep!!!! very exciting!!!Have the brownie indeed!!!

scarecrow how awful and frightening!!! You poor lamb and your DD... It is incredible that when it is really important DC will be wonderful and read their parents emotions and be as helpful as they can so GOLD star for her!!!

eagle I was on Weight watchers last year and thought they were very good. I also have friends on the 5:2 and doing well so good choice there!!!

I am indeed Brazilian and that brings a whole lot of fun (as DH says very kindly...or is it an veiled insult? smile...so where being a mother in my forties is a quite blase thing, the fact is I am not as an optimist as I should be and fears lingers in the deepest of my heart.

And I should say in my DH's mind!!! We are thinking of booking summer holidays after my 12th week scan (on the 12th), as we promised DS we would go abroad again to Malta if is his grades were excellent (it was easier to bribe...bad mothersmile). Well turns out the boy has his father's inteligence and his mother's (ooh I don;t know...will come back to it! lol) and grades were wonderful... So here I am thinking last hol in the sun because GB gave up on warmth altogether this year, but DH said how much he will stress about me travelling on easy jet ,considering how large by tummy gets and that we are away from England's hospital and healthcare etc. I really could see how stressed DH was about that and he is cocooning me to ensure that nothing happens (as if was in our control)...so they will go on their own and I will stay with the dog and DH will go away somewhere in the UK for his sanity....still bugger!!!!!smile

xxxx

Animol Wed 03-Apr-13 11:28:01

Thanks Scarecrow!

My others are 13,9,7 and 5 - they'll all be plus a year when little one comes. I'm not sure if 'coping' is quite the right word for how we do things! There's always some new challenge - usually completely unexpected!

I've just recently discovered 'aha parenting' and I think it's great - a lot of the ideas are easier said than done though.

Was at the docs this morning and LO was 1.75cm and just the right size for the dates - feeling very happy but sick and tired too obviously :-)

Somewhere - thanks for the welcome - all the very best!

This thread is not accepting new messages.