Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic, fabulous 40+ Mums-to-be! Part 3

(1000 Posts)
eagleray Mon 14-Jan-13 20:38:19

We've run out of space so here's a new thread so we can support each other and talk about the trials, tribulations and utter joy at being pregnant at 40+

All new members welcome smile

scarecrow22 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:00:40

Is it lunchtime yet?

Zzzzzzz

somewherebecomingrain Sat 16-Mar-13 09:34:31

Oh gawd got tummy pain last night. Couldn't get anyone on the phone so had to go to labour ward triage. Got home at midnight - everything fine no contractions their best bet was it was my cesarean scar. All pretty pointless as I suspected. Went in with such reluctance but just in case.

Dp down at mil's helping her pack up he effs off every weekend I am so sick of child care on my own.

On the mental health disclosure side mine ain't too super during pg. grumble grumble.

Mrs w thanks for update.

Xxx

knickyknocks Sat 16-Mar-13 10:56:25

Still apologising for double posts - can't seem to be able to log on to the desktop site. Liable to make a very hormonal lady scream......

somewhere god I know about being reluctant about getting things checked. You know that things will be ok, but if you don't go, I dare say you'd be not getting much sleep wondering if it's all ok. And lone childcare so tough in pregnancy particularly during the MS days and last few weeks. Any chance of hubby being around tomorrow or at the least back for bed and bath routine tonight?
MrsW thanks for the update. Induction booked for 21st? I've (hopefully) got a sweep booked in for the 20th - shall we attempt simultaneous labours?!

chairman I had a vigorous sweep on my due date with DD last time and by God it worked. She was born within 36 hours. Hoping for much the same this time round - of course would rather not go through the All Creatures Great and Small type glove up the finnoula, but needs must and all that.....Hope your sweep gets things going for you (but of course hope things get going before that).

DH came in from late turn last night waking me up. He fell asleep straight away, sounding like Darth Vader with his breathing. Don't think I got much sleep after 2am. Told a friend this morning and she uttered the super annoying phrase of 'at least you're getting some practice of no sleep'. I suspect none of us need practice in the art of sleep deprivation, thanks....hmm
Thankfully, hubby on nights tonight which has the bonus of me having a bed all to myself. Just hope I don't go into labour tonight, though I'm sure he'd be run back home on blues...It's chucking it down here. Have no choice but to stay in, sofa surf, and do nothing (and look after a slightly going stir crazy 3 year old).

knickyknocks Sat 16-Mar-13 10:56:25

Still apologising for double posts - can't seem to be able to log on to the desktop site. Liable to make a very hormonal lady scream......

somewhere god I know about being reluctant about getting things checked. You know that things will be ok, but if you don't go, I dare say you'd be not getting much sleep wondering if it's all ok. And lone childcare so tough in pregnancy particularly during the MS days and last few weeks. Any chance of hubby being around tomorrow or at the least back for bed and bath routine tonight?
MrsW thanks for the update. Induction booked for 21st? I've (hopefully) got a sweep booked in for the 20th - shall we attempt simultaneous labours?!

chairman I had a vigorous sweep on my due date with DD last time and by God it worked. She was born within 36 hours. Hoping for much the same this time round - of course would rather not go through the All Creatures Great and Small type glove up the finnoula, but needs must and all that.....Hope your sweep gets things going for you (but of course hope things get going before that).

DH came in from late turn last night waking me up. He fell asleep straight away, sounding like Darth Vader with his breathing. Don't think I got much sleep after 2am. Told a friend this morning and she uttered the super annoying phrase of 'at least you're getting some practice of no sleep'. I suspect none of us need practice in the art of sleep deprivation, thanks....hmm
Thankfully, hubby on nights tonight which has the bonus of me having a bed all to myself. Just hope I don't go into labour tonight, though I'm sure he'd be run back home on blues...It's chucking it down here. Have no choice but to stay in, sofa surf, and do nothing (and look after a slightly going stir crazy 3 year old).

ChairmanWow Sat 16-Mar-13 11:16:11

mrsw v impressed you got anything out of your boobs before baby's born. That bodes well! Your freezer will be overflowing with the stuff soon.

somewhere it's a pain going in to get checked but there's always that 'what if...' worry. Glad all is well and hope the scar doesn't give you any more gip. Bit shite that you're doing all the weekend childcare. You need a day off! Can't your MIL entertain while your DP is packing?

knicky DH and I are in a snoring contest at the moment. He's usually pretty bad but I'm like a hippo right now, apparently. We're lucky enough to have a spare room which he often sleeps in. I'm tossing and turning due to my PGP anyway so I'm not much fun to be sharing with.

My DH let me have a lie-in this morning and has taken DS out so I can have a bath. PGP terrible after overdoing it yesterday. Sorry if I'm showing off - do feel free to tell your DPs! Currently soaking away in our half-done bathroom. The new bath is fab - the bathroom was a total joke when we moved in. Bath the size of a thimble, plastic sink that the plumber reckoned is the type they use in caravans (!) and when you flushed the loo it sounded like there was an elephant in the bowels of the house, which terrified DS. Eeek!

somewherebecomingrain Sat 16-Mar-13 12:36:38

Yes knicky the luxury of not having the dp around - under the right circumstances a massive boon. Ok so I hope you DON'T go into labour during one of those nice calm nights.

Chairman mil and me, despite getting on well, are in a slight tug of war over dp. It's circumstance - she's moving out of the house she's lived in for 45 years and facing extreme old age, I'm about to have a baby. Hard to avoid - a certain chalkboard screechiness when we spoke to each other this am hovered below the surface. As for watching ds she can't walk very well and really she's as stressed as me right now. We tried it last week and it was a disaster.

Having said that I've had a lovely morning doing arts and crafts with ds and we've got an afternoon planned albeit with my sister who I love but her nephew is a bit of a meanie to my ds. Luckily her daughter is mostly an angel apart from her spectacular tantrums, but even those are executed with a certain humanity that you can't stop loving her.

chairman so pleased u getting rest and looked after. You are at the gates and you need to be indulged. I did think. You were overdoing it a bit building kitchens, even toy ones.

Baby this weekend...????

Since yesterday I have constant low level period type pain except not in waves - depends on position. One good thing about yesterday is the tests showed my iron was on the cusp of low and I feel confident taking supplements and knowing I'm not overdosing.

Xxx

scarecrow22 Sat 16-Mar-13 13:58:35

Thanks every one for such king and open responses to my posts this week. Like MrsW counselling (CBT ish) - and finally v good medication for me from a rather cold but clearly excellent psychiatrist who spotted quite subtle signs of what would suit me (despite attempts to cover up a bit) - enabled me to move on and have DD, since when life has definitely been better smileAlso use mindfulness as part of my maintenance when I spot early signs of stress etc building up. And, Somewhere, am duly admonished <blush!> - especially as I too am a Thurs child. I agree too we are in better position to help LOs in future, as well as friends and others.

Am also on lone childcare this weekend since yest morn. Was not thrilled when DH announced he was coming back a bit earlier to go to St Patrick's night in London - queue no help Mon morn (not that I really get it as it is 'my shift' pregnant, MS, or not ;-/ ) and a week moaning he's tired and over whelmed. I have vowed to (finally) crack the whip a bit after this. Luckily knew it coming so roped in series of friends and family to help, including finally telling my parents I want them to get up at 6am! I am blessed with some v kind friends - one I had to cancel on on Weds as tired and sick again turned up on my doorstep last night with a box of the most divine flowers and a hug. Also on plus side, DH actually said in text yesterday having ELCS date was "exciting". Big progress. And baby's head down while s/he thrashes away with little legs inside me smile

Sorry v me.

Somewhere really hope DS instinctively knows this is a weekend to be "good". I always imagine you as lovely creative interesting person for child to be around smile.
Knicky am so with you on those irritating comments. Argh! My other 'favourite' is people with no children saying " oh it will be easier w second time round though". I notice few if any parents of two say so shock
Chairman, if your DP wants to take all of ours out for a beer and explain the new house rules I'll pick up the tab.
Good luck ladies with pains, twinges and twiddling (am still shock about that!)
Waves BadMiss, Cycle (hope she's not left us) and other lovely ladies

BadMissM Sat 16-Mar-13 20:11:37

JBrd Welcome back!!!!

Knicky My mother is the sort of woman who believes everything is about her.... Eep to the going to 42 weeks!

Scarecrow Think we all stress about passing our depressive tendencies onto our LOs...I look anxiously at DD!

Somewhere The Saturday's Child thing has been unfortunately true for me...lots of working hard!

ChairmanWow Putting together kitchens!! I thought I was mad!

MrsWooster Have struggled over the years up and down with depression myself. Last bout mainly occasioned by my lovely ex-employers.... Though as you say mine has also been improved by having DD!

Me...have spent today having spotty manicures and pedicures done by DD, and catching up with my old uni friend who has come up for the weekend (and stopping her telling DD too many bad stories about our escapades at uni..)

DH's ex-wife now intending to get DH arrested, has brought a case in court and if he doesn't pay up in the next 3 days (and we don't have the money) ...arrest. He needs to counter-claim, if only I could get him to fill the damn forms out...Then she has the cheek to ring ceaselessly this morning, then ask him a massive favour this morning...because 'her dad is ill'. Grrr.

cyclecamper Sat 16-Mar-13 21:57:02

scarecrow - I'm still here; just been working and tired! I've been reading the thread but not coherent enough to post blush. Hopefully I'll have some time off next week to get a bit more focused!

badmiss total sympathy on the ex-wife. And the effort needed to get DHs to fill in forms that need doing for that matter.

Although I don't suffer from anxiety/depression, my Husband does (to the point of being off work for 3 months last year) and it is a really nasty thing. He hasn't found any medication that really works for him, and some of them make it worse (clear his head so that he can calmly plan suicide) and he hasn't got on with CBT so it is a matter of toughing it out and waiting for the bad times to pass. sad Riding his bike every day helps more than anything else - partly because he does ride it every day, he can make himself do it, if you see what I mean, so he will get up for that, if nothing else. I've been very worried that the enforced time off the bike with asthma this last month could be catastrophic, but he is riding again and not too low now, so that is a relief.

I went to Wimbledon with my husband and my friend to do some shopping today which was nice, but exhausting. Fortunately my husband cooked dinner (galettes again, yum!) or we wouldn't have eaten. He also made some apple far breton, which look nice.

My nose seems to have a mind of it's own today - I'm not sure if it's being very sensitive or just making smells up! I could smell hot dogs at one station, bacon at another and varnish/paint/setting plastic at home this evening, none of which were noticeable to the people with me.

I've ordered a v pillow in an effort to get comfortable - rib pain and back pain are driving me nuts.

I have to have my GTT test on Wednesday so I have to eat a high carbohydrate diet from tomorrow, which could be hard work with the little I'm eating at the moment.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a whinge blush.

Waves to everyone else smile

ChairmanWow Sun 17-Mar-13 10:43:21

Quick post chums - am at John Lewis spending DSs birthday money. Pray for my waters to go! grin grin grin

scarecrow22 Sun 17-Mar-13 11:45:13

Sending breaky watery vibes (this is no more odd than all that synchro twiddling smile)
If it works do I get a cherry scone?

ChairmanWow Sun 17-Mar-13 13:57:38

Sorry, don't know if you're all aware but apparently you get £300 in vouchers if your waters break in John Lewis. I was told this by a woman in B&Q t'other day (you get £250 there). I think Boots do £300, and Mothercare. But I'd much rather have JL vouchers though.

Anyway, no waters or anything else sad. Back on the nips for me!

badmissm hope your DH gets his arse in gear. Must be very frustrating for you. What a horrid ex. Sympathies that you're having to deal with her behaviour. Is she jealous of your pregnancy do you think? Or is she just very unpleasant?

somewhere, good description of the tension between you and MIL. I guess it must be hard for her leaving her home after such a long time, but your needs have to be balanced as well. I sometimes wonder if parents get a bit more selfish when they get older. My MIL has a bit through over-reliance to get stuff done she could easily do herself. My mum's always been selfish so it's hard to tell the difference! Anyway, I do hope you get your feet up at some point! I will send DH out to provide some education otherwise - will work for beer!

scarecrow sounds like a bit of progress re the 'excited' about CS date comment. Sometimes a dose of reality is what is needed. Anyway, last few days of work this week. Hope your colleagues spoil you rotten. Enjoy!

cyclecamper I had a GTT this time (failure to lose the last lot of baby weight put me just over the BMI threshold). I can't say it was the most pleasant morning of my life but it was okay. I just felt a bit heartburny and dizzy before the blood test. Some Gaviscon and a bowl of soup after sorted me out. Good luck!

We've got a crazy week this week. Bathroom guy won't be finished til Wed (was supposed to finish last Fri) but he's our new best friend and we love him so that's fine. Miserable-sounding decorator starting tomorrow for 2 bloody weeks (he's only doing the living room and dining room. Expecting Sistine Chapel decor for that length of time!) and someone else here Tues to put some new radiators in. Why I booked them all now I don't know. Some pregnant lady logic at the time which has now been lost.

Betting I spend all day Tues, when all 3 blokes are here, having contractions in front of them. Waters will break all over a freshly-painted wall and the decorator will then take 3 weeks and never stop moaning. One of them will end up delivering the baby on the half-tiled bathroom floor. grin.

knickyknocks Sun 17-Mar-13 14:23:08

£300 quid in John Lewis?? I'm going to hot foot it to Kingston and just sit there till those waters damn well break!!

It's my due date. Only had the 3 texts asking about twinges so not too bad all things considered. Baby was oddly quiet yesterday with sporadic moments of activity. Today, it feels like he's hosting a private party for one in there which is making me feel a bit sickly. Off to a 4th birthday party with DD in a minute or two. Hoping a rousing Hokey Cokey may get things going....
chairman as usual your posts make me giggle. Loving your description of contractions when the decorators are there.
cycle I had a GTT this pregnancy. It was fine. The stuff to drink was a bit weird and there was 2 cups of it, but just chucked it down me as quickly as possible. The 2 hours passed fairly quickly, spent most of it nattering to two other ladies having the same test as me. Did manage to eat my way through a small supermarket amount of groceries when it was all finished.
somewhere how are those low level period pains going??
Best go, DD wearing party dress and practically got my car keys out of bag with her coat on. Think she's somewhat desperate to get to the party!!

scarecrow22 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:17:55

Knicky, bless bless your DD. oddly I had it in my head you had a DS. Hope she had fun. Also if you still not gone into labour by next week I can come and join you for coffee (might help!) and cherry scone next week ;) Another option - if your waters break on way I'm sure a cup of water and some real contractions will do the trick!

Chairman - also :D at idea of contractions with decorators, and their reactions! Admire (or opposite!) your ambition for week ahead...

Cycle. Another good luck for GTT. Am dreading no food after midnight rule for CS, let alone nearly a whole day - not sure I'd have survive that long. Glad all okay too, and hope they not working you toooo hard.

Managed whole weekend alone - well putting aside the fact I had a play date/grandparents for every morning and afternoon. DH got home just now and luckily DD insisted he put her to bed. Good girl!! I have to say DD was a bit harder than usual as has slightly sticky tummy but mostly, and especially this afternoon a total poppet and I was really proud of how gentle she was and polite and just good for me. Bless her.

Four work days to go!

Take care all x

MrsWooster Sun 17-Mar-13 20:16:09

Hi, all
hollow laughter here, Chairman I also have got the little men from the village in and, having spent the week before last having the kitchen buggered about with (albeit to good effect), am now, in my wisdom, having a fireplace knocked open in the living room, then the flooring taken up, then relaid in playroom/conservatory, then carpet laid in the living room. Carpet fitters are coming on Weds... THere's also radiators to install to make conservatory less like a hellish ice-hotel in time for DS to play more contentedlyand amuse self while I deal with sissy... What could POSSIBLY go wrong? I might go back and re-read that article about how baby-brain is a fallacy before I go in for the induction on Thursday, leaving the chaos blithely behind.

ChairmanWow Mon 18-Mar-13 07:54:01

Well, the 'labour' saga continues. I started again at 3pm yesterday and had quite painful contractions for a few hours. Since then it's been stop-start. At the moment about every 10 mins. It was similar with DS, who took 36 hours! DH just dropping DS at nursery then I reckon we'll go for a walk, maybe have some breakfast somewhere. Will keep you posted. Cross everything! X

knickyknocks Mon 18-Mar-13 08:01:18

Blimey MrsW you and Chairman and your renovations! Hats off to you both - I guess it's nesting but at the extreme end!

Chairman hope the sweep goes well today. Will be thinking of you and crossing fingers it works it's magic...

As for me (moan and TMI alert....) feel lousy. Did far far too much yesterday. Got home completely wrecked. I now have a couple of large piles protruding from my arse and giving me excruciating pain and making me feel quite tearful. Didn't sleep a wink last night. Thank god MIL will be here all morning and DH is off all day. I've got DD clothed, fed and brushed teeth and hair. The second they're up, I'm back off to bed for the rest of today, as my walk this morning looks like I've pooped in my pants. I'm dreading going into labour with pain like this, but having read old mumsnet threads on piles in labour, apparently the labour pains almost supercede the piles pain. Lovely. Something to look forward to then hmm. Sorry for the moan. Pregnancy really doesn't agree with me.

knickyknocks Mon 18-Mar-13 08:14:39

Just cross posted with Chairman. Sounds promising!! Hope this is it this time. Jeep us posted when you're able. Thinking of you. If it is the real thing, hope it's as quick as can be (maybe nip down to John Lewis while there's still time though?? grin)

scarecrow22 Mon 18-Mar-13 09:16:52

Chairman - how exciting... All fingers crossed (er, except for the bit where I have to type!)
Could we have three babies this week. V v v exciting. I might even get a little broody - which I confess am def not feeling yet.

Four more days to go and I can stop talking about work!! Huge deadline today: spent last two nights dreaming was getting closer and closer and closer and I was getting more and more silently panic stricken but not able to make any progress. Hmmm that's healthy. By tonight will be over and will def be on home straight.

Waves to all x

somewherebecomingrain Mon 18-Mar-13 10:04:46

Hey guys sorry to be quiet I have the fatigue no supplement can shift. All sunbeams of well being well and truly obscured by grey continual tiredness. Remember this from last time- napping and outrageously not feeling in anyway refreshed.

Grumble grumble.

Chairman I think this is it. Nipple twiddling pays off.

Knicky no tmi. Glad you getting the lie downs you deserve it.

Mrs Wooster - I think it was you not me who said the mental tribulations of the mother can make you a wiser mother - good luck with induction.

Yawn. Blink. Ouch my bum my hips my pelvis my acid reflux my stretched out top of tummy my cramping bottom of tummy.

Xxx

ChairmanWow Mon 18-Mar-13 11:59:22

Aaaaaarghhh! Stopping and starting again. She is a devil child. But not as evil as the midwife. I went for my appointment thinking she'd check if I'm dilating and give me a sweep and she wouldn't do either. I'm 3 days late! What a big meany. sad

Time for a snooze. See what happens the rest of the day.

knickyknocks Mon 18-Mar-13 12:22:45

Whaaaatttt??? Why didn't she do a sweep or check you were dilating?! Meany doesn't even cover it! I would have been muttering obscenities under my breath (or with my current ridiculous hormone level saying it loudly).

Was this a community midwife or hospital appointment? I only ask as it was the community midwife who said she wouldn't do a sweep, but the hospital would (they bloody better....)

somewhere sounds like you're suffering along with me at the moment. God it's awful isn't it? My MIL who stayed with us last night (on the miniscule chance I was going to go into labour on my due date), has just offered to put my haemorrhoid cream on my large protrusions as she feels she wants to help. God - I can see my dignity walking out of the front door and driving away. I said no, but seriously the pain is so awful I may have to get hubby to do the honour... Aah...makes you wonder whether Wills and Kate will be doing the same in a few months time (I bet her MIL doesn't offer to poke her piles back in for her....grin)

eagleray Mon 18-Mar-13 13:00:04

Afternoon everyone

Dropping in to say hello and and send my commiserations to those suffering and good luck to those waiting for something to start!

Knicky - sorry re the piles. I didn't get these til post-birth (and sadly I did boast slightly that I'd escaped them so think I got extra big ones as punishment). Can only describe things as being 'baboon-like' down there so you have all my sympathy

Chairman - the stopping and starting sounds hideous. I don't remember much about the 2 weeks leading up to the birth but do know I went slightly mad. I had loads of sweeps and seemed to be in and out of hospital all the time. Not sure if this is of any use whatsoever to you or anyone else waiting, but my final sweep was done with gas and air - had the double benefit of being rather more vigorous (did go into labour that night but may have done anyway) and also gave me a chance to familiarise myself with the apparatus (first baby so hadn't had it before)

Somewhere - sorry you feel so rough. Sounds like you are having a rotten time - hang on in there

Scarecrow - hurrah for your last week at work! So glad you are near the end and will get some proper rest soon

MrsW - shock at your home improvements! Is this super nesting?

Cyclecamper - funnily enough, I have a depressive, cycle-mad, asthmatic DP too. I can always tell when he hasn't done any exercise as he becomes unbearable. Good luck with the GTT test

BadMissM - great news about your last scan (sorry may not have congratulated you before) and sorry you are having to deal with all the ex-wife shit.

JBrd - congratulations on your bfp!!! Am so pleased for you. Please do lurk away - we are all rooting for you.

Notsoold - am so pleased that things are going well. I remember you last year (we were expecting at roughly the same time) and have never forgotten you. Am so pleased you are back!

NorthernWoman - welcome and good luck - will be keeping my fingers crossed that all is well

I'm ill in bed at the moment with a horrible virus - started as dizziness and has now developed into painful ear/nose/throat stuff (melodramatic description of a common cold I think). DP away all week as working abroad mid-week (he normally comes home then) and so I am living a rather limited life. The bedside cot has been converted to a bedside table and Baby Eagle is in bed with me. She's feeding around the clock because I think my supply has dropped due to being ill. All in all, quite rubbish really, but am able to get out of bed today for essentials (loo/fetching food from kitchen/nappy changes) so may be turning a corner.

Looking forward to hearing about updates re any new arrivals this week!

ChairmanWow Mon 18-Mar-13 15:22:55

It was a community midwife. One I normally like, but my bottom lip started going when she refused. Hospital are indeed normally better but my next appointment is not til next Monday, when I'll be term plus 10. Am finding this so disheartening. Knackered. Hopefully it'll kick off properly soon.

JBrd Mon 18-Mar-13 16:19:55

<<de-lurks>>

knicky Just laughed out loud (at work, so not good) at your MIL's offer to help with your piles - classic! What did you say to her?!

Thanks everyone for your kind welcomes! It's certainly nice to be back, and I have every intention of staying grin

Just out of interest - am I now the 'youngest' on here, in terms of pg, or are there any other recent additions? I've not had time yet to read back through the thread, is there a stats list somewhere?

Went to the GP this morning - consultant referral will hopefully go out today, the (female) GP I saw this time seemed a lot more understanding about my anxiety to be seen asap.
Also got my name down with the midwives, so they can get me booked in.

It's all very deja-vu...

<<re-lurks>>

This thread is not accepting new messages.