Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

help! need advice....at work and very short of breath.

(22 Posts)
Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:47:18

so Im 15 +1 with twins. But obviously rather larger than singleton 15 wker Im more like 24 wks!
Have been having a few issues with dips in bp throughout pregnancy so far. But today, Im feeling very very short of breath and really tight chested. I work in an office so do not have a very physical job. I and wearing a wrap dress that does up under the bust and even went to the loo so i could sit with it undone for a bit as i thought perhaps that was causing it, but it made no difference.
Has anyone else experienced this? Its at the point where i can hardly finish a sentence without have to take a big gasp of air.
Don't want to make a big deal at work as only just came bag from 6 wks sick leave after horrendous HG.
Any advice appreciated!

ZuleikaD Mon 14-Jan-13 14:52:25

Has your iron been checked recently? Are you very tired as well? Anaemia can cause shortness of breath.

PandaWatch Mon 14-Jan-13 14:54:43

I noticed I got out of breath much more easily since about 12 weeks and only have one on the way. But you should call your midwife to check all is ok, especially with the tight chestedness and the fact that you've had previous issues. Hope you're ok!

Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:00:47

Thanks for replying. My 12 wks.bloods were ok in terms of anemia but Im also on iron supplements anyway which is standard with twins. Feel like someone is standing on my chest and my breathing is quite restricted. Might go get checked out.

thekingfisher Mon 14-Jan-13 15:02:22

I would go and get checked out asap - can you get to walk-in centre/epu

weeblueberry Mon 14-Jan-13 15:28:23

Get checked out but when I asked my midwife she said it was likely that the uterus was pushing up on my diaphragm causing breathlessness and that it would go away. Hopefully it's something as simple as this for you.

You need to get checked out. It could be something simple and straightforward such as a pregnancy-related heart murmur, or it could be something more serious. I don't mean to frighten you, but I just want to make sure you go now and get checked out.

oldqueenie Mon 14-Jan-13 15:33:33

you should phone nhs direct today imo. Shortness of breath can be a symptom of something serious, pulmonary embolism for example. <speaking from experience rather than with any health expertise or qualifications>

FoofFighter Mon 14-Jan-13 15:35:50

Please ring your GP surgery or NHS direct, shortness of breath that bad you cannot get a sentence out needs checking out asap.

Dexidoo Mon 14-Jan-13 15:43:01

Definitely ring your GP for an emergency appointment tonight. As oldqueenie rightly says a PE needs to be excluded.

3littlefrogs Mon 14-Jan-13 15:49:41

Your fundus should be nowhere near your diaphragm at this stage, even with twins. Don't wait for a GP appointment, go to A&E. Twin pregnancy is a higher risk factor for Pulmonary Embolism than a singleton. HG is also a high risk factor for Pulmonary Embolism.

Breathlessness while just talking is always a cause for concern.

Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:59:11

Thanks all. Went into an empty private office and sat with my legs elevated and my dress undone and bra undone for a while. This helped a bit but worried about my commute home so going to stop at a+e on way home to get checked if its still bad by then.
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Will let you know how it goes.

FoofFighter Mon 14-Jan-13 16:29:24

Can you leave and go now? DO you drive? Not sure a good idea if breathless really confused can someone take you to a&e? I think you need to take this a little more seriously perhaps?

Really hope all is fine.

Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 19:03:18

Hi all.

I went and laid down for a bit longer in the end, and it eased off. I swigged on a can of coke to get blood sugar up ( have also found low blood sugar a preg throughout and this has even caused fainting earlier on in this preg)

This also seemed to help a bit. Travelling home was a bit shit though and no bugger gave me a seat on the tube, but luckily didnt have too many stops to go. home now and laying on the sofa - not feeling the breathless anymore but do still feel a bit tight around the chest area. I know it sounds daft but I also think my bra has something to with it! As soon as i got in the door I took it off and felt the tightness ease a bit. might go and get measured again tomorrow if I'm up to it. If it comes back tomorrow, I promise I will get myself straight to A+E!

ledkr Spain Mon 14-Jan-13 19:07:15

Just be careful I had breathlessness a through my last pg I could hardly get about by 30 weeks.
I remember they checked me often for a PE (clot on lung) so worth getting checked out

Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:01:05

Ok, this PE things keeps being mentioned so will deffo get checked tomorrow. Thank you all very much! x

FoofFighter Mon 14-Jan-13 20:10:18

PE = pulmonary emobolism ie a blood clot, not as PE pre-Eclampsia

ledkr Spain Mon 14-Jan-13 20:12:07

Yes sorry. Thanks foo.
Op if the symptoms return especially if you are led still then please go to a and e or call an ambulance.
It's probably not that but best to be safe.

Rowan1204 Mon 14-Jan-13 20:29:37

I know, thanks Foo, I gathered that as it has been mentioned a few times. Also

I 100% will get checked out tomorrow. thanks!

FoofFighter Tue 15-Jan-13 12:20:25

How are you today Rowan?

Bottleoffish Tue 15-Jan-13 13:22:22

How are you?

Please do get checked out as I was short of breath in my twin pregnancy and struggled to breathe when speaking. I was furious because the midwife asked me to go to the 'big' hospital to be checked (we were very rural) and I kept saying I was bound to be short of breath at 20 weeks with twins. It was a bit off and on at first. It turned out I had multiple blood clots in my lungs.

It probably is nothing, but it's best to get it checked.

woopsidaisy Tue 15-Jan-13 13:23:24

I had this with DC3. After a few days it became so bad that I was "panting" when I talked. Went to hospital who kept me in over night as ?PE. But tests were clear so went home. My HB was 9 which was probably the cause. So deffo best to get checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now