Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Nasal congestion and loss of sense of smell

(6 Posts)
Whitetara Sun 13-Jan-13 22:06:57

I've had this since about the time that conception took place - according to online pregnancy calculators.

I thought that the sense of smell got more acute during early pregnancy. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced these symptoms in early pregnancy (got bfp on Thursday, so just 3 weeks gone)...I feel like I've got a heavy cold with a headache behind my eyes.

sherbetpips Mon 14-Jan-13 18:56:52

I also lost all sense of taste. The food I was given in the NHS hospital after giving birth tasted amazing because I could actually taste it!!!

Missy28 Wed 16-Jan-13 22:15:38

I'm having the exact same issue at the mo! I thought it was down to a cold that I recently got over but the nasal congestion is hanging around and annoying me. And I HATE the fact that I can't taste anything lol confused

EggyM Thu 17-Jan-13 06:57:33

I can still smell but have horrible blocked sinuses at the same time and constant migraines and headaches because of it - have a 14 hour day at work today and it's making me feel so tired and miserable - so know just how you feel.
(but a bit happy today as am 12 weeks today! smile )

Anyway got any tips on how to get rid of this stupid congestion?

kitkatsz23 Thu 17-Jan-13 11:45:43

You are not alone, I'm having blocked sinuses day and night with the occasional nose bleed. I really hate it, it affects me at night as I cannot breath properly and wake up with a very dry mouth and throat. I'm like a zombie at work, totally exhausted. I've been told just to put up with it and try not to blow my nose...Oh I also find central heating makes it worse in this cold weather, especially in the open plan office. I'm 25+5 weeks pg.

KelleStar Thu 17-Jan-13 20:26:48

I had a really sensitive sense of smell at the start of this pg [DC2] and then it started fading. My taste has faded with it, was advised it's quite common. I had awful sickness until about 24 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now